SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:21   #26
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
They're not "unburned". They are powder zombies.
Yet ANOTHER Zombie problem. I can't imagine what they'll do on 12/21!
pasky2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 13:20   #27
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
I mentioned in another thread about JUST getting a copy of Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading - Second Edition". I haven't even begun to read it!

In it, he discusses case capacity and how much it is reduced as rounds are loaded shorter in terms of both reduced case capacity and increased pressure (starting on page 96).

His example of a 1/16" (0.060") change in OAL makes a 14% change in case volume for a .45 ACP (it would be more in a 9mm, I think). There is a table that enumerates %change in pressure for 1% change in volume. For a powder like Titegroup, the %change is 2% for every 1% change in volume. That number is HUGE even with light loads

Bottom line, be careful when you make large changes in OAL, especially on small cartridges.

I have mentioned elsewhere that I use 700-X for .45 ACP and I will admit that I get a LOT of soot and the cases have a black smudge on the outside. It's been that way for many years and I don't expect it to change. I just don't get too excited, one way or another. They go 'bang' and the bullet usually goes right where I was aiming (whether I was aiming correctly is another story) so I just keep making them.

Richard
That is kind of voodoo though, you can't track pressure increase w/ volume decrease in a linear fashion, it varies w/ each powder. Then when you reach a certain volume, pressure go up dramatically.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combustion, powder