SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:27   #1
csistudent

Newbie First Pistol - Glock 26 Gen 4

Hello all,
I'm new to everything. Just purchased my first pistol, Glock 26 Gen 4. I will be taking a basic pistol class tomorrow. Any advise on IWB holsters, cleaning etc would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Tracy
csistudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:49   #2
mymini40

W@elcome to,GT!
mymini40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:07   #3
bac1023

and congrats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:39   #4
Irondog45

White Hat Holsters IWB
Irondog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 14:23   #5
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by csistudent View Post
Hello all,
I'm new to everything. Just purchased my first pistol, Glock 26 Gen 4. I will be taking a basic pistol class tomorrow. Any advise on IWB holsters, cleaning etc would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Tracy
The internet is a great information source.
There's how to videos on everything Glock.

Last edited by barth; 08-17-2012 at 17:26..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 19:11   #6
Raven1967

Raven1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:22   #7
larson1122

Welcome!
larson1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:24   #8
jph02

jph02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 13:46   #9
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Hello all,
Thanks!
Tracy
I carry a 26 chambered. No safety means the holster is the safety. I prefer Kydex that has a firm snug fit around the trigger guard. The gun comes out with a brisk tug. I do not want a loose fitting holster.

If you are right handed, many newbies shoot Glocks low left. Pulling the trigger straight back while keeping the sights aligned is the solution, but easier said than done Your gun likely has potential to put all shots into 2" group at 25 yards. Anything bigger than that would be me or you yanking the trigger off to the side

I like to clean and lubricate with Hoppes number 9 lubricating oil. Don't oil the firing pin channel. Oil should be wiped off all parts when done, not kept wet. But sometimes I'll add a wet drop to the rails and then cycle the action. There's a diagram floating around here somewhere showing the key parts to oil, including the kinda flat metal part you see when you take the slide off and are looking down at the rear of the frame. If you carry, the gun will get dusty and dry, and maybe want to rust, although Glocks rust less than other guns. Cleaning once a month should be good. A toothpick helps to press the cleaning patch into the tight spots.

Dry firing is good practise, but that is when most accidental discharges happen because guys actually forget to unload first. I like to tripple check. Mag out, slide back, chamber is empty. Close slide and open it again, mag is out right, empty chamber right? Close slide again, lock it back open, mag is out because I can see my pinky at the bottom of the mag well, and I can see light coming down the barrel of the empty chamber (as I look at the chamber, not the muzzle). Ok, now point in a safe direction and practise pulling trigger. Seems crazy, but the tripple check provides a nice mental break.

Some gen 4's have had weak brass ejection problems, or brass to the face. A baseball hat and glasses will protect you. Ear muffs of course. If shooting indoors, muffs over ear plugs. 124gr American Eagle or Lawman seem good practise ammo, for better ejection. Also, just cycling the slide a lot seems to help, too. The more you shoot, the spring gets broken in and that seems to help. Maybe you won't have any trouble.

For racking the slide, if ever seems difficult to you, try holding the slide with your left hand (fingers over the top of the slide), and pushing the grip rapidly toward the ground. You have more natural arm pressure and force pushing down than pulling back.

I prefer to shoot pinky curled under the grip. I use a fairly strong push/pull, where my shooting hand (right hand) is pushing forward toward the target, and the support hand is pulling back. That puts the stubby 26 in a vise like hold. Others may prefer a finger extension on the mag, or use a more even side to side pressure. My right palm is pushing forward, and my left fingers (index, middle, and ring) are pulling back across the top of my right fingers (middle and ring). My right trigger finger is free in all of this. Keep both thumbs to the left side (if you are right handed). Thumbs can overlap each other or be parallel, but they must be to the left side, and not in the way of the slide as it recoils rearward. If you are left handed, reverse all of this, of course.

You may already know all of this, or other shooters will give you other advise

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 08-18-2012 at 15:55..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 14:22   #10
CanMan

ithaca deerslayer gives some sound advice... only exception I take is with holsters. I have a few Kydex rigs but prefer these guys: www.kramer leather.com Maybe because they're local? or because I haven't had a bad horsehide holster from 'em yet. Congrats & enjoy your Glock
CanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 15:33   #11
ca survivor

ca survivor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:44   #12
Glock40man

Welcome to GT and, enjoy your G26!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:59   #13
Lowjiber

I carry my G26 IWB in a horsehide White Hat holster. Once you get everything adjusted the way you want it, use Loctite on the two belt-clip screws.

When the WH gets overly sweaty (I live in Vegas), I'll slip on my Desantis Cozy Partner for a day while the WH dries out again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 18:37   #14
csistudent

Thank you so much for all of the information. I went to my basic pistol class yesterday and loved it! I shot very well and the instructer actually called me the Glock Master... lol I purchased this mainly for personal protection but am finding I love it and will be wanting to practice all the time.
Old 08-19-2012, 19:24   #15
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Thank you so much for all of the information. I went to my basic pistol class yesterday and loved it! I shot very well and the instructer actually called me the Glock Master... lol I purchased this mainly for personal protection but am finding I love it and will be wanting to practice all the time.
Great!

Glocks are fantastics guns. The 26 is one of the most popular concealed carry guns out there.

I also have the 17 which is the full-size in 9mm. I like the longer grip and longer sight radius more for competition, and it is easy to switch back and forth between shooting the 17 and shooting the 26.

Someday you might want a second Glock, too
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 19:23   #16
nomadrider

Welcome from the Adirondack Mountains of New York State
Old 08-23-2012, 07:58   #17
jdl2

Welcome!
Jim L. (NY)
jdl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:20   #18
druryj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanMan View Post
ithaca deerslayer gives some sound advice... only exception I take is with holsters. I have a few Kydex rigs but prefer these guys: www.kramer leather.com Maybe because they're local? or because I haven't had a bad horsehide holster from 'em yet. Congrats & enjoy your Glock
I have the best of both worlds! A nice, tight, thin, wel made IWB Kydex from PJ Holsters and a Kramer Horsehide Belt Scabbard for OWB for my G26! Both have good service and fast turnaround time. Hard to beat!
druryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:35   #19
oily_oink
###########

From Michigan!

Tags
basic pistol, glock 26 gen4, glock cleaning, iwb holster, newbie