Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:26   #26
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

I have a .22 revolver we like to plink with.

I carry a G26 or something along those lines on me, depending on how "woodsy" the place is that me and my sons are camping in. Meaning, if it's a popular kind of camping place with lots of people the G26 is fine because all normal CCW concerns apply. If we are "out there" somewhere I might carry something bigger.

I always bring a Mossberg 590A1 with Brenneke Black Magic slugs as the first four shots with 00 Buck for followup. Would work on just about anything with any number of legs I would ever encounter in the lower 48.
http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/blackmagic.html

That stays in the tent with me at night.

(Exceptions Bigfoot, Swamp Apes and the Cupacabra of course. I would need a 10mm for that but I am afraid of getting sued for destroying 20 square acres if I should have to use it.)

I don't know if there is a best all purpose camp gun since like any type of gun it's hard to say there is a best all purpose anything. They seem to all fill roles. I guess a shotgun is one of the more flexible things.

I would like to have a GP100. That would be fun and useful.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 08-12-2012 at 11:30..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 13:13   #27
Darkangel1846

Pump 12
Old 08-12-2012, 13:19   #28
FPS

Handgun: Ruger Vaquero in .357/38

Rifle: Winchester lever action in your caliber of choice.

Old 08-12-2012, 13:23   #29
KYFlatfoot

Saiga 12

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
KYFlatfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 13:41   #30
Rob1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keith View Post
Marlin Camp Carbine in 45ACP with a 1", 3moa red dot scope
I also have the Marlin. Tell me about the scope. Thanks.
Rob1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 14:42   #31
Teecher45

Where is this camp?
Western KY?
A .22 would probably do, with my 27 in it's normal spot (IWB) for the 2-legged problems.
Montana?
12 gauge if I can carry it, .44 (and up) if I'm carrying my bow.
Old 08-12-2012, 14:58   #32
Jeffe

Mosin. Stays at our camp always. My ruger MK III gets carried with me every time out.
Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 15:01   #33
ZombieJoe

For me it is between my 20ga 870, or a HiPoint 995 carbine.

Hopefully very soon I will be adding a 10/22 TD to my collection. When that time comes, she will fill that slot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 08-12-2012, 18:28   #34
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I agree that a CCW is not to be ignored when camping, but to me the category of "camp gun" refers to some gun that I probably wouldn't have if I wasn't camping.

I prefer having my AK along when out in the woods...

In the lower 48, I also like an AK for a rifle that is always close-by when I am camping. I do not have a lot of money invested in an AK. Aks are usually reliable and can take a fair amount of neglect and abuse. I can put a fair amount of lead into a reasonably small area at relatively close range and if need be, I can repeatedly hit something smaller than the broad side of a barn at several hundred yards. As far as a handgun goes, I prefer to carry a Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull in a holster and a Seecamp 380 in my pocket, just in case.

In Alaska I like to have a few 12 ga shotguns placed strategically around camp that supplement the hunting rifles. I also carry my Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull in a holster and a Seecamp 380 in my pocket. But I have been considering replacing the Ruger with a S&W 500 mag, either a 4”or a 5”, but I have not made up my mind yet on the barrel length.

RJ
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 18:51   #35
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
In a more settled campground in non-bear country, usually my G23. In bear country, I may add a Ruger Security Six and/or Remington 870, depending on where I'm going and the local rules/regs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 19:12   #36
dnuggett
PRO 2A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
I had a savage 24 growing up, they are great guns. I had the 22/410. I like .22 as camp guns. They can keep almost any critter away, are cheap to shoot and pretty quite.

Sent via Mental Power
I have a .22/.410. That along with my carry 1911 is my perfect camp set up.
dnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 20:32   #37
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Savage 24 .22/.410
Old 08-13-2012, 18:05   #38
pat701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Five Oh View Post
How about an AR-10 with an underslung 870?
Camping isn't that dangerious
pat701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 18:27   #39
arclight610

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
WTH is a "camp" gun?
A camp gun is something you use to hide in dark corners, under stairwells, and by respawn points to get easy kills.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 00:04   #40
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
WTH is a "camp" gun?
Well a lot depends on where you are camping and how you got there. That is why there are so many good choices that are already listed.

A short barrel shotgun if you are in a motor home, trailer or camper is a good choice. I had a Mossberg 500 18" barrel with rifle sights threaded for screw in chocks. You can handled anything from bunnies to big ass bears and two legged varmints. The down size you need to be able to carry it and all the stuff that goes with it. A back packer may opted out with a shotgun option.

I have several "camp" guns but if I were to have only one it would be a 4" revolver in 44 Magnum. For where most people camp in this country a 357 would be fine.

However I have a S&W Model 60 in 3" that I leave in my kit. A "kit" gun is not the same as a camp gun but close.

The main thing is if you are going camping and will be a long response time for a 911 call - take a gun.

BTW, I have a Marlin Model 9 in 9mm that is often referred to as "Marlin Camp Gun" that I have never taken it camping.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:31   #41
Unistat

I take my Springfield M6 Scout .22/.410 O/U for funsies and my S&W 13 .357 for everything else.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:52   #42
CBennett

Remington 870 for a camp gun, My Dan Wesson .357 for a woods/trail gun . IF I had a lever action in .357 to go with my Dan Wesson revolver perfect match IMO.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:12   #43
SigFTW

Hunting rifle (7mm Mag) and Bow (Mathew Monster 7.0)
Side arm 1911 when I am out hunting or at camp.
When I get my Coonan 357, it will replace my 1911 as my camp and hunting side arm.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:15   #44
RedHaze
Handgunner

General Firearms Forum

Something cheap, that you won't mind getting a little rusty. Something tough and powerful. Like a cut down single shot. $50 sounds like a awesome camp gun.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:34   #45
Unistat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
...IF I had a lever action in .357 to go with my Dan Wesson revolver perfect match IMO.
Hear that! I don't know if I'd stop bringing the M6 though. I might have to do away with some other gear to fit the lever gun in the weight limit. I can't wait till the kids are old enough to pack with gear like a sherpa, lol.
Old 08-14-2012, 14:50   #46
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHaze View Post
General Firearms Forum

Something cheap, that you won't mind getting a little rusty. Something tough and powerful. Like a cut down single shot. $50 sounds like a awesome camp gun.
I bought 3 H&R/NEF single shots, in various conditions, for around 150-170 total.
Barrels were cut down to a handy but legal length, the front sight was reinstalled and a HiViz fiber optic sleeve was slipped over the barrel. A set of sling swivel studs and a slip on neoprene shell holder later and bang, a perfect camp gun that doesn't get screwed up if the gun goes over when your canoe tips (having a line attached through the rear sling swivel stud keeps it from being lost in one of the famous internet "boating accidents").

ETA- I gifted the guns to my brothers and a good friend. I have yet to make one of my own.

Last edited by BamaTrooper; 08-14-2012 at 14:51..
BamaTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 14:59   #47
glockurai

Don't go camping much but it would be my Norinco MAK 90. It should be enough.
Old 08-14-2012, 15:13   #48
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unistat View Post
Hear that! I don't know if I'd stop bringing the M6 though. I might have to do away with some other gear to fit the lever gun in the weight limit. I can't wait till the kids are old enough to pack with gear like a sherpa, lol.
yeah ive wanted one for years maybe THAT will be my next buy cant beat something that can take .38 special or .357 in a snubby,regular length revolver and a lever action long gun..and for the most part with me being in PA and nothing bigger than small to medium size black bears(yes now and then they WILL get a 600+ pounder around but thats RARE) .357 out of a lever action and even a 4" revolver is good. But till I get that the 870 pretty much out to 100 yds with a rifled slug barrel is a jack of all trades from pests(with low brass shot) to eating/food(with regular hunting rounds) to self defense with buckshot out to 40 yds or so, and then slugs out to 100 yds .
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 15:16   #49
63bmechanic

i take whatever is in my gun safe that i feel will stop anything intruding into my camp. that goes for snakes all the way up to bear. in my eyes a .22LR isnt going to cut it
63bmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:23   #50
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor

It varies, depending on my whim and how much hiking is involved.
Last time it was a Ruger 10/22 Take Down and a Glock 20. Next time it could be a 260 lightweight bolt gun and the LC9, next time it may be my AK bullpup and a G27 ... whatever.

What I don't have but keep looking at, is a Browning Lever Action Take Down in 243. Intriguing. I know I want one. Question is when to click and order one.

Tags
camp, rifle, shotgun