SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-09-2012, 20:25   #1
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Radar reminders.

I see these little trailers around here and there reminding people what the posted speed limit is, and what speed they are driving.

What I want to know is, how do I know if I get the high score?

Also, why do you guys talk so funny in court? "I observed the suspect traveling at a high rate of speed". Can't you just say "going like a raped ape" or just say speeding? Is it the lawyers or the cop shows that cause that?

On a serious note, as a long time ER Nurse, I've always admired the restraint that LEO's show in the face of a thankless job. Thanks for the work you do.

Last edited by Paul53; 08-09-2012 at 20:29..
Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 20:29   #2
Aux Bear

Send a message via ICQ to Aux Bear
If you "Win" we pull out a block down, stop you, and give you an Instant Winner Ticket! And, it's the Legal Beagles that force the legaleez language.
Aux Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 20:34   #3
Ohio Copper

Do you think that I don't want to say on the stand, "well, counselor, your client was so drunk he **** himself in te back of my car. The only reason he refused the test was because he kept vomiting cheap vodka in a trash can"?

No we have to speak legaleese.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 20:54   #4
Kahr_Glockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Do you think that I don't want to say on the stand, "well, counselor, your client was so drunk he **** himself in te back of my car. The only reason he refused the test was because he kept vomiting cheap vodka in a trash can"?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
That may be one of the funniest things that I have read in a long time.
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 21:03   #5
ateamer
NRA4EVR

A lot of us are trained in cop-ese. It sounds soooo much more official to say "I activated my marked vehicle's overhead-mounted emergency lighting equipment to effect an enforcement stop" instead of "I turned on my red lights and he pulled over". Once you're stopped, you exit your marked vehicle and initiate contact with the aforementoned defendant. Getting out of your car and speaking with someone just sounds, well, normal. And if you're writing a search warrant, it apparently is absolutely essential to some guys to write like a 16th century British lawyer-playwright. "Wherefore your Affiant prays the Court for issuance of a warrant...". Come on, the judge isn't going to turn you down if it says "I request that a warrant is issued.".

Be a person, not some robot who is stuck in week 1 at the academy forever.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 21:25   #6
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Ever examine Medicalese? It's worse than just about any 'professional speak' extant.

Bastard! - TBO
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 21:29   #7
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
And if you're writing a search warrant, it apparently is absolutely essential to some guys to write like a 16th century British lawyer-playwright.
That explains all those "wrong house" police blunders. The SWAT team probably has to solve riddles to read the street address from the warrant.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 21:46   #8
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
Ever examine Medicalese? It's worse than just about any 'professional speak' extant.
Medicalese? Got me there, can I plead the 5th?

I hope you're taking my post as I meant it, humorous. If I've offended anybody, I apologize.

Last edited by Paul53; 08-09-2012 at 21:47..
Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 21:52   #9
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
Medicalese? Got me there, can I plead the 5th?

I hope you're taking my post as I meant it, humorous. If I've offended anybody, I apologize.
No offense taken, but most people think Sagittal is a astrologic sign.

Bastard! - TBO
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 21:59   #10
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Heck, depending on whom you are writing for at work they demand proper grammar to the extent of well placed punctuation.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 22:00   #11
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

The worst example of clear and concise writing I have seen was on my patent applications. I proof read one that had a single paragraph that was two pages long.

At first I corrected them. Then the lawyers kept changing them back and I learned my lesson.

I was told that writing this way made it very difficult to break them, so the lawyers said.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 22:14   #12
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

I always prided myself in being able to translate medical jargon into understandable terms for patients. They always do better when they understand what the doctor meant. I'm also not a "just do this" person. I find that teaching patients the why's helps them help themselves better.

I pride myself inmy writing abilities, have had a few articles published. Still, like most people, I can't comprehend the stuff lawyers write. It seems like intentional double talk to give lawyers something to argue with each other about.
Old 08-09-2012, 23:59   #13
scottydl

^^ Perfect example of unnecessary (but required) legalese in Illinois is the "Warning to Motorist" that must be read during DUI arrest processing. We are required to read word-for-word (takes about 5 minutes) seemingly endless repeating legal text without allowing any interruptions or questions. Then I usually sum it up for the defendant in about 5 seconds... "blow in this machine in 20 minutes and your license is only suspended for 6 months. Otherwise it's a year." How it was turned into so much legal mumbo-jumbo is beyond me.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:59   #14
GumbyDammit
Xtra CoCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
^^ Perfect example of unnecessary (but required) legalese in Illinois is the "Warning to Motorist" that must be read during DUI arrest processing. We are required to read word-for-word (takes about 5 minutes) seemingly endless repeating legal text without allowing any interruptions or questions. Then I usually sum it up for the defendant in about 5 seconds... "blow in this machine in 20 minutes and your license is only suspended for 6 months. Otherwise it's a year." How it was turned into so much legal mumbo-jumbo is beyond me.
Our DUI form has several sections I read verbatim to avoid any issues in court, however I have yet to read them and not have to restate it in normal English so the customer can understand.
The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu... THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.
GumbyDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:05   #15
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post

Which part of that are e not allowed to say?

My favorite thing to do in court is directly quote the then suspect. Some attorneys freak the F out.

Officer, what made you believe my client was under the influence?

It's Deputy, and he told me, "I was drunk before I even got to the bar and I knew I shouldn't be driving. Can't you just let me walk home?" My further investigation verified this claim.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:56   #16
indigent
Bamboozled

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
Which part of that are e not allowed to say?

My favorite thing to do in court is directly quote the then suspect. Some attorneys freak the F out.
When I was a jail medic and doing quite a bit of DWI blood draws, I used to repeatedly tell the attorney that i didn't understand his question. For no other reason than to see how many different ways he could ask the same one.....
Old 08-10-2012, 08:25   #17
Kahr_Glockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigent View Post
When I was a jail medic and doing quite a bit of DWI blood draws, I used to repeatedly tell the attorney that i didn't understand his question. For no other reason than to see how many different ways he could ask the same one.....
I just thought it was because you were trying be an a-hole?
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:04   #18
jtull7
Pistolero

When I was the elected prosecutor in Amarillo, our Medical Examiner was a Cuban-American. He has a very thick Cuban accent. Between his accent and his "medicalese," he was almost non-understandable by West Texans. He reduced several Court Reporters to tears trying to get his testimony down correctly. He was a good guy, though, and a good Doctor.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.

Last edited by jtull7; 08-10-2012 at 10:05..
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 15:01   #19
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull7 View Post
When I was the elected prosecutor in Amarillo, our Medical Examiner was a Cuban-American. He has a very thick Cuban accent. Between his accent and his "medicalese," he was almost non-understandable by West Texans. He reduced several Court Reporters to tears trying to get his testimony down correctly. He was a good guy, though, and a good Doctor.
There used to be a couple of CHP officers here who were car partners, so they'd always appear together on their cases. One officer was from inner-city Philly and spoke fast on top of that, and the other was from the Bronx. They always wound up in front of the same judge, who was from smalltown Ohio and could hardly understand a word either of them said.
Know-it-all

Last edited by ateamer; 08-10-2012 at 15:02..
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 16:16   #20
indigent
Bamboozled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahr_Glockman View Post
I just thought it was because you were trying be an a-hole?
You know me, I'd never act that way........

Tags
crime, lawyer, leo, radar, speed