GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:17   #21
Limedust

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate all the replies and all the good information. Have a Frontsight course scheduled for December . . . we'll see how it goes. In the meantime, I'll hit the range whenever I can and chat up the regulars I see there.
Limedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:30   #22
scccdoc

NRA instructor and Glock armorer.................................
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 21:27   #23
Wooderson76

Youtube.....tex grebner
Wooderson76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 22:01   #24
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangloss9 View Post
+1

And since you're in Las Vegas, get in touch with your neighbor Roger Phillips.
He might refer you to someone else for an entry level class (such as Defensive Pistol Skills) because he's famous for teaching more advanced gunfighting classes such as Point Shooting Progressions. He is an excellent instructor, I'm hoping to someday take a third course from him.

http://www.suarezinternationalstore....rphillips.aspx

http://www.fightfocusedconcepts.com/bio
"I was part of a 10-person team at the human genome project that weaponized diseases to fight weaponized diseases. Pathogenic microorganisms with pathogenic microorganisms. Fire with fire. Interdepartmental drinks were had, relationships made..."
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 23:49   #25
Texas6412

I would highly recommend Frontsight if you can get a cheap certificate. I had some firearm experience growing up, decided to get my CHL a few years ago, and also decided I needed formal training. Went to a one day "intro" class here in Dallas, and then got a Frontsight 4 day Denfensive Handgun certificate for $69. That is great, but it is a hard two day drive from Dallas to Nevada. Drove out there in May that year, camped outside the grounds, and think it was the absolute best $69 I have ever spent. It is not A+++ individualized training, but it is a perfect first class or refresher class to take. Three years later when my daughter turned 21 (and can get CHL), I got two certificates on EBay for about $100 each (again for 4 days each). I took her out there and went through the same class again with her. We had a great time and she did very well. You shoot about 700 rounds in four days, you get 100% familiar with your weapon and carrying your weapon, you learn how to clear malfunctions, you get all the basics, and you have a few classes on things you need to think about if you are going to carry everyday.

I still get their over the top emails, but simply glance at them and delete most. Some are worth reading. People bad-mouth Frontsight for various reasons, but $100 for 4 days of pretty good instruction and shooting is a great deal. They run a huge amount of people through their classes, and each class of may have a wide variety of folks in it. My two times there were 100% postive expereinces. If I lived in Las Vegas, I would probably go once a year (if I could continue to get the cheap certificates).
Texas6412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 00:19   #26
Kelo6

Front Sight was my first "official" training experience. It was great to get the basics, and I had a great time (went with two others, one who was former Navy, and one who's an NRA instructor, avid shooter, and was going back to FS again because he enjoyed it the first time.)

It's not a bad place to start, especially if you can get the first-time student certificate for $69. Between flying down to San Diego, driving with friends from there, and splitting hotel room costs, I went for a little less than $500. Not bad for 4-days of training.

Their advertizing is over the top, but they don't lie. Without having done any handgun training, and only having fired a handgun twice in my life, at the end of day 4, I was able to put two rounds, COM, from a concealed holster, on a timed, 2-second target. My whole class could (20 of us, novice to experienced shooters).

I've had some other training since then that did things differently with grip, stance, mag changes, etc. which I found to be better and/or more efficient.

As with all training (not just firearms), diversity is important as well as keeping the good, losing the bad. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work. But always try it and train while you're there. Learn everything you can and apply that knowledge/experience as you go.

My $.02.

Last edited by Kelo6; 07-24-2012 at 00:25..
Kelo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:29   #27
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limedust View Post
I am a new gun owner and new Glock owner, in particular. I have had no training; this is not to say that I haven't shot guns and received some instruction in safe handling, weapon maintenance, and responsible shooting.

I have learned a lot from this site and generally do well learning from books. However, I also realize that there is almost no substitute for person-to-person instruction.

My questions are:

1: Should I ask around at shops, especially the one where I purchased my gun (and which I like) for trustworthy and effective instructors?

2: Given that I know little about the most effective techniques, drills, and instruction methods, how do I gauge the quality of those offering classes/courses?

3: How much does good hourly instruction for beginners typically cost (if there is such a thing as a typical cost)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
I live in S Carolina, and got great basic gun training at <belttraining@gmail.com>.In November, Massad Ayoob will be conducting a course there as well.............DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 18:19   #28
lostone1413

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangloss9 View Post
I've only taken one class and that was Defensive Pistol Skills from Suarez Int'l. Nothing it in struck me as particularly out of the mainstream, but I don't have much basis for judgment. My understanding is that his intermediate and advanced level classes do deviate significantly from most training. The OP might want to check out Suarez's forum (Warriortalk) if he's curious. Also, pistol-forum.com has some very "software" oriented people on it who have taken a lot of classes.

Most instructors teach more what I would call gun handling.
What Gabe teaches I would call gun fighting When it comes to gun fighting Gabe has no equal In my book anyway. And yes i've taken classes at other places including Gun Site but I still say Gabe is the best when it comes to learning how to kill without being killed. When you forget the PC Crap isn't that what it is really about?
lostone1413 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, beginners, classes, training