SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:57   #26
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri_TX View Post
Yes, I would love that! At least a one-day, total technique and practicality kind of thing. My husband gets offended because he thinks he should be able to teach me everything. Men.
I can't recall such an interesting introductory post. You've got all the good issues in one thread

With regard to the husband teaching thing, my wife is absolutely against it. I'm a little more open minded on that issue and think it is ok if he is a Navy Seal or Olympic shooter and you can't find anyone else of his skill level

Otherwise you can find more qualified guys/gals to teach you, without the emotional baggage getting in the way.

My wife is NRA certified to teach, basic pistol, self-defense inside the home, and self-defense outside the home. We are in NY, but there's got to be some equally or more qualified instructors near you in TX.

Here, try this website for a search
http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx/

You can also learn a lot on GT. Ya just gotta sort between truth and fiction here. I'm still working on that, myself
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:51   #27
Keri_TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
There's another favorite debate on GT. 95% of GT against small of back, 5% in favor. The same amount of name calling
I'll look for it! It's not that I prefer to carry in the back, but it's the only place on my body I can conceal unless I do the ankle thing. I've tried every spot on my hips with no luck. Even the little LC9 makes an obvious, blocky little lump.
Keri_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:14   #28
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
I'll look for it! It's not that I prefer to carry in the back, but it's the only place on my body I can conceal unless I do the ankle thing. I've tried every spot on my hips with no luck. Even the little LC9 makes an obvious, blocky little lump.
My belief is that the best thing is whatever works for you. Weigh the pluses and minuses and make your own decisions

Those issues would all make interesting discussions, and you'll get plenty of feedback
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:39   #29
257 roberts

Welcome from Fla.
257 roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:10   #30
Keri_TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post

My wife is NRA certified to teach, basic pistol, self-defense inside the home, and self-defense outside the home. We are in NY, but there's got to be some equally or more qualified instructors near you in TX.

Here, try this website for a search
http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx/
How neat that your wife teaches! That is terrific. You're right about the training and it's something I want to do. Although I know the basics and handle my guns fairly well for an amateur who's only had spot training here and there from nice people at the range, that's about 5% compared to where I want to be in feeling like I REALLY know my stuff. There is just no substitute for a professional, for me. I really liked the guy who taught my CHL class and thought about asking him, but I'm going to check out this link. Thanks so much!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:06   #31
frizz

Quote:
Hello all. My name is Keri and my husband and I live in north Texas. We've both become amateur gun enthusiasts over the last year 1/2, mostly handguns but want to become proficient and knowledgeable about rifles and shotguns as well. We're in our early 40's and have obtained our CHL licenses (I just took my test two weeks ago!). We've only had Rugers so far, but today we bought our first Glock, the Gen4 19, for me to purse-carry. We're going to the range tomorrow to test it out and I'm really looking forward to it.

Hope to chat with you all soon!
Welcome... I'm brand new myself!

You may be interested in the Women's Issues, if you haven't already seen it. I posed a question there for advice for my wife, and I like the other information I have read there.

My wife went one size smaller with the "Baby Glock" subcompact 9mm G26. She added an aftermarket magazine floorplate to each magazine so that there is a place for her little finger for $10 each mag.

She also got a Crimson Trace laser sight grip. It is user installable and runs $180 shipped.

For rifles/shotguns, Ruger's Mini-14 Ranch Rifle is worth looking at. It has been around for a long time and they were improved a few years ago. The improvements, such as a heavier barrel, fixed a lot of shortcomings. A new one should be $700-750. It uses the same ammo as the M16 and AR-15, and it is widely available

If you are not going to hunt and are looking for just a basic defensive shotgun, a cylinder barrel type is what you need. Then the question of gauge comes up. A 12 gauge has a substantial recoil, but a 20 gauge is milder while still being an effective weapon.

After that, you have to decide if you want a pump action or an automatic. I think a pump is fine, but that is a personal preference. But back on the 12 gauge, it is important to shoot one before you buy one so that you an be sure you are comfortable managing the recoil.

As for manufacturers, I'm not very knowledgeable, but Remington and Mossburg have decent reputations for their pump shotguns in the $300-$500 range.

One other thing on shotguns, DON'T GET A PISTOL-GRIP SHOTGUN! Without a shoulder stock, your hand is going to hurt hurt hurt.

Have fun and shoot straight!
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 18:14   #32
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Hello there Keri. Deanna here! Welcome to Glock Talk!

Last edited by NEOH212; 07-14-2012 at 18:14..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:03   #33
planner

Hi, Keri, I am in north Texas (DFW-Frisco area) and am glad to meet you guys (such as it is). Glad to see a couple enjoying the sport together.
planner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 17:52   #34
bsg1

welcome to the forum.
bsg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 19:26   #35
Keri_TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizz View Post
You may be interested in the Women's Issues....

For rifles/shotguns, Ruger's Mini-14 Ranch Rifle is worth looking at....

If you are not going to hunt and are looking for just a basic defensive shotgun, a cylinder barrel type is what you need. Then the question of gauge comes up. A 12 gauge has a substantial recoil, but a 20 gauge is milder while still being an effective weapon.

After that, you have to decide if you want a pump action or an automatic. I think a pump is fine, but that is a personal preference. But back on the 12 gauge, it is important to shoot one before you buy one so that you an be sure you are comfortable managing the recoil.
I did see the Women's Issues and commented in there a few days ago when someone posted about introducing his daughter to handguns. I will enjoy that forum a lot because women (many, anyway) will have different kinds of questions and issues, probably similar to mine about carry purses, the challenges of carrying on the person with our different clothes and body frames, shooting big guns with small hands, etc!

It's funny you mention the mini M14 because that's on the hub's wish list, for sure! And the shotgun....yeah, that was actually the very FIRST firearm purchase we made (12-gauge Mossberg) over a year ago and I'm still too chicken to shoot it. I can barely fit it correctly between my shoulder and hands; my arms are really short. I know I could do it if I practiced, but....eh. I don't know if I'm interested enough to invest the time (and inevitable soreness and/or dislocated shoulder) in it.

I'd love to try the G26! We have the Ruger LC9 and it's a nice little sub-c, but the trigger pull is horrendous (very long). I've heard the G26, while a little bigger for a sub-c, is a lot smoother.

Thank you all for the welcomes!

Last edited by Keri_TX; 07-15-2012 at 19:27..
Old 07-15-2012, 20:13   #36
CanMan

Welcome!
CanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 23:37   #37
jdl2

Welcome!
Jim L. (NY)
jdl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 00:02   #38
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I confess that I have not read all the posts, however, I offer this link for additional input.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:20   #39
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
I confess that I have not read all the posts, however, I offer this link for additional input.
[snip video]
Janice, thank you for posting the link to this informative video. There is a lot of good info, and even though it concentrated on women's carry options, it is still informative for a man.

For other readers, there are several other vids that cover many holsters as well as other firearm issues. She is thorough, emphasizes safety by always checking the chamber, and she presents her observations well.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:16   #40
XPLSV

Quote:
My wife is a small, petite gal and faces similar issues. The carry purse allows her the confidence she is not exposing her weapon...although she has some of the same concern I do with not having it on her body. Winter months in Colorado offer more dress options to conceal her weapon on her hip or possibly the shoulder holster...but summer clothing is certainly another matter. In Northern Texas, you are pretty much facing warm temps year round...