Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2012, 18:36   #1
Gellorock

Bought a new(used) Springfield EMP ... Couple of concerns.

Hey guys,

I just bought an EMP in 9mm. The guy I bought it from said he put maybe 400 rounds through it. I called Springfield with the serial # and they told me its production date was January 2012.

Anyway, I took it to the range today and shot 200 rounds through it. I love the gun, everything went well but I had two issues:

1- the slide failed to lock back twice on the empty mag. After shooting the last round. It happened with 2 different factory mags.

2- I had 2 failures to fire. I re-cocked the hammer and the round fired on the second try. This happened twice with Winchester white box ammo.

Do you think these issues will go away with more shooting or is there anything I need to tweak to fix them.

Appreciate the help!
Gellorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 20:54   #2
JTBTACTICAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellorock View Post
Hey guys,

I just bought an EMP in 9mm. The guy I bought it from said he put maybe 400 rounds through it. I called Springfield with the serial # and they told me its production date was January 2012.

Anyway, I took it to the range today and shot 200 rounds through it. I love the gun, everything went well but I had two issues:

1- the slide failed to lock back twice on the empty mag. After shooting the last round. It happened with 2 different factory mags.

2- I had 2 failures to fire. I re-cocked the hammer and the round fired on the second try. This happened twice with Winchester white box ammo.

Do you think these issues will go away with more shooting or is there anything I need to tweak to fix them.

Appreciate the help!
Congrats on the new gun! Those springfields sure are nice!

1.) Is there any chance that your thumb was resting on the slide stop lever?

2.) I would guess that this issue has to do with the ammo, not the gun. Could have been hard primers. WWB is good range ammo, but it isn't known for it's superior quality. It's good for the price.

Go out and shoot it again!
Old 07-16-2012, 21:52   #3
glock2740
Gun lover.

Congrats! I recently picked up a EMP in 9mm and LOVE it! Great CC 1911.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:31   #4
Quack
Rent this space

check for crap in the FP channel

slide lock issue is probably your support hand thumb resting on the slide stop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 13:38   #5
dakrat

the first thing you should do when taking home a firearm especially used one is to detail strip it for possible worn/damaged parts. clean it thoroughly, lube it and shoot it. try different ammo. the issues you mentioned are minor and can be fixed easily. the worst case fix would be a new magazine and mainspring. but try the ones mentioned earlier first.
Old 07-17-2012, 13:44   #6
Alcoy

if the suggestions above do not fix your gun issue, Springfield has great customer service. I sent a gun i bought used, they fixed it and paid for fedex both ways.

congrats on your emp.
Alcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 17:32   #7
Gellorock

Thanks for the input guys.

I detail stripped the gun and made sure everything was nice and clean (including the fp channel). I have a sa micro compact and have never had my grip bump the slide lock, but since the emp is a bit thinner maybe I was doing it and not realizing. Ill keep an eye on that when I go back to the range. I'm going to also see if it happens with one mag specifically, but hopefully it's just operator error!
Old 07-17-2012, 19:56   #8
bac1023

Congrats on the EMP!

bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 20:07   #9
Happy Hunting

I envy EMP owners and will one day own one. I haven't seen one for sale at my price target yet. They must sell pretty well used.
Happy Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 22:01   #10
Gellorock

I picked this one up for 750 off an ad i saw posted on flguntrader.com. I feel like it was a steal given condition and production date

Last edited by Gellorock; 07-17-2012 at 22:01..
Old 07-18-2012, 00:47   #11
Wolf Spyder
Gun Activist

Send a message via AIM to Wolf Spyder
Both my Brother and his wife carry the Springfield EMP. Personally, I don't like them. Both pistols have had similar problems to what you are having with yours. Also they are having trouble with the magazine where the follower tips causing a round to nose dive and that in turn causes a Failure to Feed.

We have had the two pistols for several months and have fired close to 800 or 1000 rounds from each. They seem to be getting better, and are almost 99%, but I am a Glock guy. I have never had a malfunction from either of my 10mm Glock 20's. So for me the EMP is a "No-Go" because of these magazine related issues.

If it is not 100% then I won't carry it.

"Only large manly men and very dangerous mythical creatures can handle the raw power of the 10mm"
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Wolf Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:49   #12
Gary1911A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellorock View Post
I picked this one up for 750 off an ad i saw posted on flguntrader.com. I feel like it was a steal given condition and production date
For that price and only 400 rounds fired you did well. The slide not locking back on two magazines could indicate a problem with the slide stop, but it could be the ammo too as Winchester White Box is on the mild side. I'd shoot it some more and wouldn't be surprised if the problem disappears.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 17:14   #13
Troubled Gecko

Replace the firing pin spring, if it's weak you'll get failure to fire. www.gunsprings.com Wolff makes very good replacement springs. I would also check the firing pin and firing pin channel for rust/debris.

Last edited by Troubled Gecko; 07-18-2012 at 17:16..
Troubled Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 19:24   #14
jg420

Congrats those are really nice Springfields, I have fondled a couple at my local shop.
Kalashnikov Klub #0420
jg420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 19:35   #15
BerettaGrl

I had problems with my EMP not going to slide lock. It had something to do with my grip... Fixed the grip, fixed the problem. If I have a noob shooter that I'm teaching, the problem can re-occur. Other wise, it's been pretty flawless. It's soooo pretty too.
S&W Club #637
BerettaGrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
9mm, emp, short action 1911, springfield