GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:56   #481
James Markov

Can you find a Nylon 66 these days? I think there was a black version with chrome finish made at some point...
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:07   #482
TxGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Markov View Post
Can you find a Nylon 66 these days? I think there was a black version with chrome finish made at some point...
Several versions/colors were made, but you'll have to hunt for them on the used market now...gunbroker, gunshows, pawn shops, LGS, etc. They are out there.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Firearms/BI...ngton+Nylon+66

Last edited by TxGun; 06-28-2012 at 02:09..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:50   #483
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
The 66 became a favorite of mine and I have been collecting them and other nylon rifles for some time. I started the website www.nylonrifles.com but it is down due to a virus attack. Unfortunately, the prices have jumped considerably in the last few years.

And yes, the black and chrome version was called the Apache Black. Altogether there were about 13 or 14 variations.

Rimfire Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:20   #484
James Markov

Didnt a guy using a couple Nylon 66 rifles shoot 100,000 tossed in air wood blocks with only a few misses in a the whole time?

Last edited by James Markov; 06-30-2012 at 06:38..
Old 01-14-2013, 00:22   #485
James Markov

Well?
Old 01-14-2013, 21:01   #486
ratf51

Quote:
Well?
If I recall correctly, it was a fellow by the name of Tom Frye-- he shot something over 104,000 2" wooden blocks that were tossed into the air. He used Nylon 66 rifles (I think there was a rotation of 5 rifles) and missed only 4 blocks. He had several long days accomplishing this. There was an advertisement for the Nylon 66 rifles that would run on the inside cover of "Boys Life" back in the 60's that showed him sitting on this huge pile of wooden blocks. Sorry you had to wait 6 months...
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 22:20   #487
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Why is this under rimfire home defense? Start your own topic.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 23:33   #488
kmrcstintn

I was toying around with a Walther P22Q for a few weeks, but found the thing too picky and UNRELIABLE for defense use (even though CCI Mini-Mags and Stingers ran like a champ, I want something that can run on standard velocity stuff in case I run out and can't get CCI high velocity stuff); I switched to a Ruger Mark III Standard 6" barrel for fun/target/plinking and it runs virtually everything (didn't feed Federal Spit-Fire due to the longer length of the bullet)

right now the Ruger is doing HD duty with CCI Mini-Mags
kmrcstintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 23:35   #489
4095fanatic

I use a 9mm or .40 S&W. I'd give my gf my 22 for SD, as she can consistently hit the target with my 22 but is shaky with center fire so far. As they say, "Better a hit with a 22 than a miss with a 45..."

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
4095fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46   #490
cloudbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrcstintn View Post
I was toying around with a Walther P22Q for a few weeks, but found the thing too picky and UNRELIABLE for defense use (even though CCI Mini-Mags and Stingers ran like a champ, I want something that can run on standard velocity stuff in case I run out and can't get CCI high velocity stuff); I switched to a Ruger Mark III Standard 6" barrel for fun/target/plinking and it runs virtually everything (didn't feed Federal Spit-Fire due to the longer length of the bullet)

right now the Ruger is doing HD duty with CCI Mini-Mags
I've only taught my 13yo daughter to shoot .22 so far, so that's what I'd have her use for HD. I'd make it a rifle -- our BL-22 (Browning short-stroke lever-action .22), because it's easier for a scared girl to point. If she's home alone and someone tries to break in, she's just supposed to hide in a bedroom corner and shoot any stranger that comes through the door. 15 times, if possible. A rifle seems better for that.

As soon as any of the kids are able to handle something bigger, I steer them to something bigger. My oldest daughter has a 20-gauge and my oldest son a 1911.
"A constitutional guarantee subject to future judges’ assessments of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all." -- Justice Antonin Scalia, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER, June 26, 2008
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:48   #491
Bob Hafler

If she is comfortable shooting the 22 and shoots it accurately then IMO that's what she should use. Makes no sense having her defending herself with a gun she can't hit anything with.
If she could get used to a 9mm then I'd say go there for sure but if she can't well then a 22 is better than a baseball bat.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 17:54   #492
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Good article and interesting read:

http://www.policemag.com/channel/wea...realities.aspx

My wife is not much of a shooter and she is recoil shy, but can put all 9 rounds on a pie plate at 20 feet with her taurus model 94 .22 lr revolver. She likes it and is confident with it. As I have said before, in a SD situation, you have to be comfortable and proficent with your weapon. If the 22 works for her, then there you go.
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 18:37   #493
Bob Hafler

Good read. Thanks for posting. I agree if she is more confident and more comfortable using a 22 then by all means that is what she should use. There is more then a few people that are covered in dirt that have been shot with a 22lr.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 15:11   #494
James Markov

Just picked up a Ruger 10/22 but it jams with Federal bulk pack ammo but is fine with the more expensive CCI ammo. Why would this be? I thought the Ruger could feed anything?

Last edited by James Markov; 03-01-2013 at 15:13..
Old 03-02-2013, 08:41   #495
HiVel
HiVel

Walther PPK in 22 LR

Walther just introduced a new PPK in 22 LR. I want one!
I have been told the Mossad used Beretta 22cal pistols for their nite work some time ago-don't know what they are up to now but that baby did the trick for awhile.

I occasionally cary a S&W 22 mag snubby-and have a Ruger 22LR LCR, which i use to train and practice with.

The only two people I have ever seen dead from gunshots were killed with 22 LR caliber guns. They are very popular to kill people with and they do work. Stop everytime no, kill later , yes. A pathologist I knew told me more people are killed by 22 LR than any other caliber. Makes sense since there are more of those guns out there than anything else.
The individuals I am familiar with were shot by 22 rifles -one in the forehead and one in the heart. one shot instant kills. Terrible but true.

Last edited by HiVel; 03-02-2013 at 08:42..
HiVel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 15:07   #496
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Just picked up a Ruger 10/22 but it jams with Federal bulk pack ammo but is fine with the more expensive CCI ammo. Why would this be? I thought the Ruger could feed anything?
Federal Bulk is inconsistent in ignition and velocity. Misfires and down loaded cases cause reliability problems. Have the same problem with Remington Golden Bullet stuff. Personally I like CCI Blazer in bulk packs, it has been accurate and reliable but much of the CCI Blazer is now made by Federal so I don't know anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 03-02-2013, 15:11   #497
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiVel View Post
Walther just introduced a new PPK in 22 LR. I want one!
I have been told the Mossad used Beretta 22cal pistols for their nite work some time ago-don't know what they are up to now but that baby did the trick for awhile.

I occasionally cary a S&W 22 mag snubby-and have a Ruger 22LR LCR, which i use to train and practice with.

The only two people I have ever seen dead from gunshots were killed with 22 LR caliber guns. They are very popular to kill people with and they do work. Stop everytime no, kill later , yes. A pathologist I knew told me more people are killed by 22 LR than any other caliber. Makes sense since there are more of those guns out there than anything else.
The individuals I am familiar with were shot by 22 rifles -one in the forehead and one in the heart. one shot instant kills. Terrible but true.
The Mossad used Beretta Mod 70s. You can see them in the movies Gideon's Sword (a made for TV movie back in the early 80s), and the remake of the movie called Munich. "2- 22s to the head, kills 'em dead" they used to say.

Last edited by mac66; 03-02-2013 at 15:11..
Old 03-03-2013, 13:13   #498
dukeblue91

Considering that more people have been killed with a .22LR then any other caliber.
The .22 is not my first choice but I would be okay feeling if that is all I had to defend myself.
As a matter of fact I have a couple .22LR rifles and HG hidden around the house for that reason.
I have plenty of ammo and the rifles are cheap enough to own a few and not cry if one gets lost, damaged or stolen.
I have a few cheap Marlin semi auto plinkster with 25 round magazines that are incredibly accurate and I just love shooting them, the fact that they were less then $150 a piece makes me just smile.
dukeblue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 19:04   #499
RonS

As a young A1C living off base I kept a Ruger Standard Model (MKI I guess it would be.) Not by choice but I had it when I went in and buying anything on that pay was out of the question. My choice back then would have been a Model 19 S&W, similar to what we carried on duty.

I kept the Ruger loaded with Stingers. Not to brag but back then I was pretty good, my best friend in high school lived in the country and he and his dad had a private range. We shot several hundred rounds a week for a couple of years. I don't think I'd have had a problem with anything on two legs.
Old 03-09-2013, 22:06   #500
James Markov

I am eyeballing a 22 magnum LCR Ruger....