SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2012, 21:35   #1
shooter1234

High end 1911's...

Ok. I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I gotta get it off of my mind.

2000-4000 dollar 1911 owners. Why.
Please tell me, what you expected to do, with a 14 pound pistol that only holds 7 (yea ok, the new magazines hold one more. thats nice. I dont care.)
rounds, and is twice as big as any modern day polymer auto pistol. Did you think you were going to actually carry this concealed? Where. Oh wait, let me guess, under your IDPA converted tactical fishing vest, in an inside the waistband kydex holster. Right. Right in the middle of August, when it's 92 degrees. Sure. THAT won't be obvious or anything. How's all those sharp edges digging into your side? And for how long were you planning on carrying it? A whole week? How did that work out for you? Lol. Pretty inconvenient after a few days isn't it. Yea, I know, you're strong, and the extra 12 pounds over any other auto pistol on the planet doesn't bother you. Sorry. I carried an M60 machine gun in the Army, and I know about extra weight. Was a radio man after that. That doesn't mean that I'm going to carry an extra ten pounds if I don't really have to. The running phrase in the Infantry was "There's a fine line between hardcore and stupid." You guys must have never been in the Infantry.

Ok, so you can bench 450, and do your 20 kilometer roadmarch in under 2:30 hours. What does your 3000 dollar hand fitted 1911 do that any Sig, S&W, Beretta, Glock, or Springer doesn't? So your groups were 2" at 50 yards off-hand, and your Glock was holding you back? So what did your Caspian, STI or Baer shrink your groups to at the 50 yard line? 1"? Sure... If you were that good, you wouldn't have bought your 1911; it would have been given to you by your sponsor. Ok. So you're rich, AND strong. You chose a caliber that doesn't give you ANY advantage whatsoever in imparted energy, penetration, or external ballistics (trajectory), and only has a hand full of ft./lbs. of energy advantage over .40 in the +p category, but now boxes of your ammunition are about 6 dollars more than other calibers. Nice choice again.
At 2000 dollars, I could have bought 3-4 other typical handguns. I could have bought a KelTec .380 at 220 for deep summer carry, a Glock 26 or S&W M&P compact for around 425 for winter carry, and a used Glock 17 for around 400 for IDPA/home defense/SHTF combat gun, all for around HALF of ONE of your custom 13 pound 1911's.

Alright, so you don't carry it. It's for local shoots and home defense. Nice. 2500 dollars for a safe gun. So a Springfield or used Kimber wouldn't have done it? So everyone around you is outshooting you because your Kimber is holding you back? Not buyin' it...

Don't get me wrong. I love 1911's. I think they're great guns. Truly classic. I've owned one, and 2 Hi Powers. And will eventually own another one of each. But for now, they're just not practical enough to warrant taking up room in the safe. I just can't understand all the guys that try to defend their 3000 dollar pistol purchases, when they're not even serious competitors, or sponsored shooters. It doesn't matter if you have the money in the bank to be able to do it. The amount of money one has, has nothing to do with logical choices. Unless you're a super super serious competitor, and haven't gotten picked up yet by a major company, you could have five million in the bank, and a 3000 dollar 12 pound boat anchor would still be a dumb ass purchase.

(I want to be clear on the expensive 1911's. I mean full size guns over 2000 dollars. There's nothing wrong with a compact or sub-compact 1911 with reasonable prices like a 650 dollar Kimber for example. A lot of them have their edges melted, are relatively light weight, and can be used for a lot of different purposes.)

G19 sold. G26 sold.
G26 gen 4 G17 gen 4 G37 Gen 4.

Last edited by shooter1234; 06-19-2012 at 23:11..
shooter1234 is offline   Reply With Quote