Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:00   #21
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler_dave9 View Post
I am wondering what the differences are of an actual Gun Belt vs. a Dickies belt off the shelf at Wal-Mart. Are they thicker? made of a different material internally? Any note worthy differences in width? What makes it so much better to have a gun belt for IWB or OWB carry?
Gun belts are usually thicker and stiffer and some have stitching or liners that help stiffen them, so they don't sag with the gun.

Personally, I never buy "gun belts" even for competition. I look for a thick, leather single-layer belt (even some "gun belts" are crappy stitched layers that afll apart). I can get one at Tractor Supply that will work better than a high dollar belt from Galco or Bianchi.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:22   #22
blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Personally, I never buy "gun belts" even for competition. I look for a thick, leather single-layer belt (even some "gun belts" are crappy stitched layers that afll apart). I can get one at Tractor Supply that will work better than a high dollar belt from Galco or Bianchi.

Hope your asbestos undies are back from the cleaners...if not, here's a for your trouble.

Whatever works for you, though...
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:52   #23
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post

Hope your asbestos undies are back from the cleaners...if not, here's a for your trouble.

Been shooting, competing and teaching LE, military and civilians to shoot for 22+ years. I'm hardly worried about what the newbs on GT think about my opinions. Some day, some of them will have some knowledge and experience, but most never will.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55   #24
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post

I buy Galco exclusively for gunbelts, but I'm not a gun belt snob. If some other belt works as well (and, I have seen tons of our instructors who just wear nylon military issue belts with their holsters on the range, then go with it (I don't own any Galco stock ).

But, the way my body is shaped, (mesomorph), I need a good belt.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:33   #25
fastbolt

Belts can be like footwear. Not all of them fit & work for everybody and every need.

I've had "gun belts" that were a pain in the side. Literally. Especially those that pressed upon the IC.

I've bought good quality leather belts that were only good for holding up pants, and others that were fine for many years no matter what I wore hanging from them.

Not all belt loops are the same size, so I have different belts.

Not all belts match all dress needs (suits, to rugged work, to leisure), so I own & use different belts.

Since I have belts & gun belts that are probably older than many of the posters on this and other forums, I tend to use what works for me ... and allow everyone else the same courtesy.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 06-19-2012 at 11:34..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:44   #26
AngryPanda
Is he a troll?

I read all about the gun belts, went out and bought one. I noticed zero difference. I know I am in the minority, but after reading all the ZOMG!!! IT WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!!1!! posts I thought I would at least notice something. Like I said, I know I am in the minority here but that is my experience.
AngryPanda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:02   #27
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
Belts can be like footwear. Not all of them fit & work for everybody and every need.
This....................

I have a nice Carhartt 1.5" belt that works nice with a firearm that is smaller such as my LC9. I do find I prefer one of my gun belts to the Carhartt belt if carrying all day or if carrying extra mags. and accessories.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Last edited by pipedreams; 06-19-2012 at 13:07..
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 13:02   #28
rick458
USS Texas BB-35

The first time you needs to use the facilities in public, you will notice a substantial difference between a wide belt and a gun belt, as your holster will not impersonate a roller coaster when you assume the position
Old 06-19-2012, 13:16   #29
fastbolt

Yep, it's good to figure out what fits & works best for you, your guns and your situational needs.

When I was wearing an all-steel duty pistol (4566TSW) for my plainclothes assignment, along with spare mags, cuffs, radio and everything that needed to be in slacks pockets (including a couple of folding knives), my belt got a real workout. Being worn with slacks, it was narrower than most belts worn with jeans & some types of "dockers". I also needed both black and brown belts.

Having tried a "gun belt" made by one of the major holster makers, to carry a much lighter issued pistol (5903), with less than satisfactory results for me, I tried some different dress belts off the rack at some chain stores. Surprisingly, (or maybe not so surprisingly, given my experiences over the years ) I found some that worked great.

Now that I wear more paddle holsters than holsters with belt slots/tunnels (another subject entirely ), I find the belt issue is less critical for me, and I'm able to wear a wider range of belts with different jeans, slacks, shorts, etc.

I still have to use just as much consideration when selecting footwear, too.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:46   #30
vmann
Controller

not all gun belts are made with internal stiffners or multiple layers....

and if you went out and bought a gun belt and dont see any differences between that and regular belts, you bought the wrong belt....

i bought a belt from bullhidebelts.com and its a single piece bull hide belt....its over twice as thick as my regular department store belt...

its great for what its designed for, but sometimes i think its to thick for some of my holsters....

U.S. ARMY
vmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 14:17   #31
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
Once you've carried with a good gun belt, you'll never want anything else.
AGREED!
Old 06-20-2012, 17:15   #32
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPanda View Post
I read all about the gun belts, went out and bought one. I noticed zero difference. I know I am in the minority, but after reading all the ZOMG!!! IT WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!!1!! posts I thought I would at least notice something. Like I said, I know I am in the minority here but that is my experience.
I had a good quality American made Looper belt that I carried on for many years. It was a good trouser belt made from a fairly thin single piece of leather.

I carried on it for a long time thinking it was good enough and never noticing the droop so much. It wasn't until I carried like that a lot then moved up to a real gun belt that I noticed the difference.

I'm not kidding when I say I thought the Looper was good enough.

I progressed to a Hume double thickness gunbelt, then through several others before arriving at the Wilderness CSM.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 20:44   #33
ScottieG59

Dickies belts can work well, if you choose the right one. They work fine when I carry IWB. It is not as good as a purpose designed gun belt, but it is better than the other belts in Walmart.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:27   #34
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
I had a good quality American made Looper belt that I carried on for many years. It was a good trouser belt made from a fairly thin single piece of leather.

I carried on it for a long time thinking it was good enough and never noticing the droop so much. It wasn't until I carried like that a lot then moved up to a real gun belt that I noticed the difference.

I'm not kidding when I say I thought the Looper was good enough.

I progressed to a Hume double thickness gunbelt, then through several others before arriving at the Wilderness CSM.
Looper makes some of the best gun belts around, at reasonable prices too. $45 for a kydex reinforced belt with a lifetime warranty against drooping or stretching.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:16   #35
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler_dave9 View Post
I am wondering what the differences are of an actual Gun Belt vs. a Dickies belt off the shelf at Wal-Mart. Are they thicker? made of a different material internally? Any note worthy differences in width? What makes it so much better to have a gun belt for IWB or OWB carry?
One leaves your wallet a little lighter.

I wear a double-grommet belt from Walmart. It looks somewhat like this, maybe a bit thicker, I can't really tell from these pics. Buckle is a bit different and more rugged, I can tell you that much.:
Carry Issues

It cost me ~10 bucks. I've had it since as far back as I can remember. Easily over 5 years. I've worn it boating, hiking, camping, hunting. I've clipped all manner of crap onto it. I've threaded it through belt loops on khakis, fatigues, and jeans. I even throw it over shorts or my bathing suit when I want to carry stuff on it. Its been soaked, frozen, washed in saltwater, heated like only Florida sun inside a car for weeks can deliver, you name it. It has never once failed me in any way, shape or form.

Yes, it isn't named, "Super Macho Wilderness Tactical Instructor Grizzly Bear Raping Rough Tough Nitro Burn Dee Doo belt," but dammit, it does its job just fine.

Last edited by John Rambo; 06-21-2012 at 08:18..
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 16:56   #36
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

My belt did not have sexual relations with that bear, Smokey the Bear.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 17:50   #37
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member

IMHO.... Although I'm sure there are plenty of people who are exceptions.. (People who paid 25 cent for a sears leather belt 18 years ago and have carried full size firearms IWB all day every day with it ever since and it is a good as the day they bought it....) typically, for most people gun belts are actually worth the extra money.

Your mileage may vary.

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
TheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:46   #38
FFR Spyder GT
Ex-Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Gun belts are usually thicker and stiffer and some have stitching or liners that help stiffen them, so they don't sag with the gun.

+1.

I've been carrying for over 30 years and except for when I was in uniform I have never used a "gun belt".

Go to WalMart, Tractor Supply, Academy Sports, etc and look at their belts.

I usually either wear a Dickies' or a Wrangler belt. You do have to pick out one that is thicker and stiffer than a simple "dress type" belt. I usually pay about $10.00 to $13.00 for a belt.

After its a couple of years old I wear it as a work belt and when it's starts to fall apart, like the 5yo $10.00 belt that I'm currently wearing to work, I throw 'em away.

I usually have a couple in my closet that I've bought because I like the way they're made.

The handguns that I carry with my Dickies' belt? Look at my Sig line plus a Taurus PT845, a steel frame 5" 1911, a 4" S&W Model 15 and several other full side guns.

Spyder

Last edited by FFR Spyder GT; 06-22-2012 at 10:47.. Reason: Typo
FFR Spyder GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49   #39
dosei

I have been wanting to make a video on this topic for quite some time...but still have not made one. I need to get one done.

However, I did find this excellent video by the late Paul Gomez where he points out one of the key differences:

"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:49   #40
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

The difference is the reason they were made
One was made to hold up your pants.
One was made to hold up your pants as well as 2 pounds of weapons and ammo.