Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-15-2012, 19:39   #1
wrangler_dave9

Difference between a "Gun Belt" and a Dickies belt from Wal-Mart

I am wondering what the differences are of an actual Gun Belt vs. a Dickies belt off the shelf at Wal-Mart. Are they thicker? made of a different material internally? Any note worthy differences in width? What makes it so much better to have a gun belt for IWB or OWB carry?
wrangler_dave9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 19:59   #2
sciolist

A real gun belt is thicker and more rigid. It distributes the load better, so conceals better and is more comfortable.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 20:01   #3
Wyzard360

Send a message via AIM to Wyzard360
It's all about how stiff the belt is. Most casual belts are made to be very soft for comfort reasons. The problem is that also allows the gun to sag due to the weight and forces you to wear the belt tighter in order to keep the gun in place. A stiffer belt will allow you to wear it a bit looser and still keep the gun firmly in place.

The leather is treated a bit differently and most are thicker or have a polymer stiffener inside.
Wyzard360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 20:29   #4
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Gun belts are for carry a gun the regular belts from where ever are for holding up your trousers/pants.
A true gun belts makes carrying a handgun so much better.
Old 06-15-2012, 20:34   #5
TheExplorer

Go to a gun shop with your pants belt. Compare the two. You will immediately see the difference. Any pants belt will make your holster sag.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 20:41   #6
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

The gun belts are constructed with an internal reinforcement the prevents the belt from rolling over when you try to bend it edgewise (in the plane of the belt) thus it distributes the gun weight over a much greater distance around your waist.

Difference of "night and day".

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 20:48   #7
Caver 60

My Beltman is 7 or more years old and still works fine, despite daily use under sometimes severe conditions for that period of time. I am considering purchasing another one for dress and to start breaking it in.

No comparison with Dickies which can't even come close.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:18   #8
rick458
USS Texas BB-35

Gun belts are made double layer
That means they bias cut the leather, and have the grain going diagonaly
in one direction for one side and the other direction for the other side, the opposing bias
keeps the belt from developing a droop for many years, they also often have stiffeners,
lastly they are THICK in addition to being wide, and that adds to the holster not sliding around on the belt.
like said above Night and Day
Old 06-16-2012, 05:03   #9
blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExplorer View Post
Go to a gun shop with your pants belt. Compare the two. You will immediately see the difference. Any pants belt will make your holster sag.
Good advice - a few moments of direct comparison will clearly show the significant differences between the two and the differences will be undeniable. Take the next step of buying and using the properly designed gun belt - you will never again believe that any other belt will do the job. I wear gun belts nearly every day even though I cannot carry every day.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:24   #10
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

A good gunbelt is the most important part of your carry gear. It's more important than your choice of gun and it's more important than your holster. Carrying on a good belt with a crappy holster is much easier than trying to carry with a great holster on a crappy belt. Anytime someone around her posts about problems with their Comp-Tac, Milt Sparks, Tucker or other quality holster you can pretty much bet they're using a crappy belt. I've had my Looper Leather for 6 or 7 years now and it's been fantastic
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:41   #11
Lowjiber

Once you've carried with a good gun belt, you'll never want anything else.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:55   #12
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

After a period of use the Dickies belt will soften up on you and begin to stretch causing your holster to sag and the gun's butt to begin patterning. Successful and effective concealed carry ALWAYS begins with a strong gun belt. Many years ago, after I bought my first gun belt, I was so pleased with the improvement in how my equipment carried that I have never again gone back to cheap belts and the way things used to be. I've got several belts around here from $150 to over $300 dollars. I don't like paying that kind of money for a belt; but, I do like the results; and I've learned that you really can go through life with only 3 decent gun belts. (Just don't gain any weight!)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:18   #13
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
After a period of use the Dickies belt will soften up on you and begin to stretch causing your holster to sag and the gun's butt to begin patterning. Successful and effective concealed carry ALWAYS begins with a strong gun belt. Many years ago, after I bought my first gun belt, I was so pleased with the improvement in how my equipment carried that I have never again gone back to cheap belts and the way things used to be. I've got several belts around here from $150 to over $300 dollars. I don't like paying that kind of money for a belt; but, I do like the results; and I've learned that you really can go through life with only 3 decent gun belts. (Just don't gain any weight!)
^^Yep all this.

I've heard Tom Gresham refer it before has a "system" which is probably the best way to look at it. The firearm, the belt, the holster, manner of dress, etc. It all works to together to achieve the desired results.

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
TheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:41   #14
steveksux
Massive Member

Guess which one is wearing a gun belt...

Carry Issues

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:33   #15
Adamz04

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler_dave9 View Post
I am wondering what the differences are of an actual Gun Belt vs. a Dickies belt off the shelf at Wal-Mart. Are they thicker? made of a different material internally? Any note worthy differences in width? What makes it so much better to have a gun belt for IWB or OWB carry?

I had the same question as I had been using a cheap leather belt from when I was in high school.
I was seeing all these guys on here wearing gunbelts and I was like...... Really? 50$ belt
After having a hard time keeping my iwb glock in place I decided to try one and let me say OMG.
It makes a huge difference and makes carrying much more comfortable.
I bought a Tactical Trainer, made by 5.11 Tactical, I got it from optics planet.com 40$
It's so much more rigid and stays really tight
Adamz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:50   #16
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler_dave9 View Post
For starters, one needs to understand that not everything that is marketed as a "gun belt" is actually a "quality gun belt".

What makes a quality leather gun belt different?
1. Materials. Not all leather is of the same quality. A quality leather gun belt uses much higher quality leather than is used on a Dickies, Carhart, or other cheap "heavy duty" belt.
2. Construction. A quality leather gun belt will be made using two strips of high quality leather, cut and mated so that the grain of the leather in each strip is set opposing to the grain of leather in the other strip. This makes the belt much more resistant to stretching over time and also makes it more resistant to sagging. Also, by making the belt using two thinner strips of leather instead of a single thick one, the belt is much more resistant to "rolling". There isn't a single-ply leather belt in existence that can even come close to matching the performance of a proper double-ply leather belt...let alone the reinforced double-ply leather belts. Double-ply belts resist "rolling" much better than single-ply simply due to the structural advantages of "laminated" materials.

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

If you have ever noticed that your leather belts develop a small curl at the top edge of the belt, right in the middle of the belt where your middle/back belt loop on your jeans/pants rides on the belt, that is "rolling". A quality gun belt will not roll. It also will not sag. It will hold the gun closer to your body without you having to cinch the belt down so tight. It will spread the weight of the gun around your entire waist, increasing comfort and reducing/eliminating spinal problems.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:53   #17
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
My Beltman is 7 or more years old and still works fine, despite daily use under sometimes severe conditions for that period of time. I am considering purchasing another one for dress and to start breaking it in.

No comparison with Dickies which can't even come close.

I agree.

Mine is 10 years old and I bought a spare for when I enlarge to the point I need more belt. (coming soon)

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:12   #18
DrewF86

I use a Belt Man 1.5" belt every day for carrying and for competitions. And I just bought my wife a Dickies work belt as a stop gap until her Belt Man belt arrives.

I would say my belt is nearly twice as thick as a "normal" belt. It's very stiff, and helps carry the weight of my gun instead of just distributing the load. I use to carry with a Dickie work belt and it wasn't bad, but using a proper gun belt is just so much better IMO.
DrewF86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:21   #19
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Right now, I'm wearing a Galco gun belt I paid $130 for in 1994. It is still as good and stiff as the day I bought it. I may be wrong, but I doubt the Dickies belt will be doing that ten or eleven years from now.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:52   #20
Ol'Codger

Some years ago when I was first researching belts, holsters and concealed carry in general, I came across this website - it may have been linked from a thread on GlockTalk, but I no longer remember. This site was extremely helpful in my research!

http://www.gun-belt.com/

I recommend spending some time reading through all the articles as you will receive a quick, rounded education in the benefits of a good gun belt.

Personally, I purchased 2:

1) the wilderness instructor's belt that I wear every day - so easy to use, always the right tension.

2) the leather gun belt from Gunner's Alley for dress wear, I got the holes punched every 3/4 inch to help with my "adjustable sizing"!!

http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/...Gun-Belts.html

Bottom line is that there is no substitute for a good gun belt if you are planning to carry.
Ol'Codger is offline   Reply With Quote