SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:52   #1
Haasemd

CCW for a Business Professional

Hello everyone,

I am new to GlockTalk and also a new Glock owner (G19 Gen4) and soon to be CCW holder. I am heading into the professional world and was wondering if anyone has any tips for concealing in a professional setting. I was looking into your conventional iwb holster but was also looking at some briefcases that were designed for concealed carry.

I didn't think I saw a thread for this yet so I thought I would see what you all thought or what your experiences were.

- Michael
Haasemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:11   #2
R*E

Pocket carry works for me. I have a Keltec P3AT for EDC.
R*E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:31   #3
Sr. Bang Bang

I wear slacks and a golf shirt or oxford button-down to work everyday. I drive for long hours then stop in to see customers. (I am in sales) For me, the easiest way to carry in this clothing is pocket carrying a j-frame in a pocket holster. I have a tuckable IWB for both my j-frame, and my 5" 1911. If I only have one stop and know it's in a bad area, I take the 1911. It's too hard for me to keep the IWB holsters from printing during my work day. (I'm very "hands-on," so I am squatting down on the balls of my feet a lot and bending over to look at gate operators...which is what I sell). If you a normal day for you requires walking in to an office and sitting down without bending over movements, you can get away with a tuckable IWB. I highly recommend the Comp tac Minotaur holster and Kydex lined belt.

I wore a Galco dress gun belt for a couple of years, but they lose their rigidness over time. I hope the Comptac belt lasts me a long time. It is very firm and carries a holster well.

-Bob Seger
Sr. Bang Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:32   #4
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasemd View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to GlockTalk and also a new Glock owner (G19 Gen4) and soon to be CCW holder. I am heading into the professional world and was wondering if anyone has any tips for concealing in a professional setting. I was looking into your conventional iwb holster but was also looking at some briefcases that were designed for concealed carry.

I didn't think I saw a thread for this yet so I thought I would see what you all thought or what your experiences were.

- Michael
How will you be dressing?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:11   #5
TSAX
USAF Vet

A lot will depend on how your dressing and what gun your planning on using. You could go with a tuckable holster like a Crossbreed Supertuck or a pocket holster or if you can ankle carry.

NRA Member http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:22   #6
Haasemd

I will more than likely be in slacks and a collared shirt (polo or button up with tie) but there will also be times that I have to go business professional with the suit and tie combo. It all depends on the client that I am assigned to at the time (life of a public accountant). Also I am looking at carrying my Glock 19, which shouldnt be too hard for me to carry, being that I am a good size guy (6'3" 200lbs). what are your guys thoughts?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:27   #7
stash0501

I also have a Gen4 G19 that I use a Comp-tac mtac. It works great and is comfortable all day. It is a tuckable holster that you can use for differant dress styles. Same holster that Sr. Bang linked.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by stash0501; 06-10-2012 at 12:30..
stash0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 14:47   #8
Bruce M

Another question that you need to ask yourself is what are the potential consequences if your gun is exposed. The answer to that might help narrow down the choices.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 15:18   #9
poodleplumber

A sport coat will never be out of place, with or without a tie, if you are working indoors. IWB with a sport coat is standard for me. I am in a medical field, so I go from sport coat to lab coat in the privacy of my office and then see clients and patients all day.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 16:12   #10
Haasemd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Another question that you need to ask yourself is what are the potential consequences if your gun is exposed. The answer to that might help narrow down the choices.
This is a very valid thing to consider. I have read through the code of conduct from my employer and did not read anything that even slightly implied about it not being alright to do but it will be something that I will have to judge after getting to know the office a little better. Thanks for the response though!
Old 06-10-2012, 17:46   #11
1337-G
Armed

I pocket carry a Kahr PM9 daily in business casual attire. With pleated pants, khakis usually, it's virtually undetectable with a Desantis Superfly holster. Spare mag goes in a back pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2012, 18:12   #12
East River Guide
Glockaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasemd View Post
I have read through the code of conduct from my employer
Big 4 or regional?

I work in public accounting and I wouldn't push it with a G19 and would lean toward something more concealable. I have a G19 but would be much more likely to take my PM9 or P380 in that environment.

Last edited by East River Guide; 06-10-2012 at 18:17..
East River Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 18:17   #13
Haasemd

Quote:
Originally Posted by East River Guide View Post
Big 4 or regional?
It was for one of the big 4. It was close to 34 pages so I could have missed something. It doesn't mean that its something I am going to do for sure but it is an option that I want to have if it is available to do.
Old 06-10-2012, 18:18   #14
jack76590

Concealment is tough with people you see frequently. Someone spots a suspicious bulge at the grocery store - so what you will probably never see them again.

Coworker spots suspicious bulge and they can be checking you out potentially every day. And did I mention people in the office talk, talk, talk.

So if I wanted to be sure, as possible, people I am around every day don't know I am carrying, I would consider pocket carry, with maybe larger piece in vehicle.
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 18:24   #15
Haasemd

Yeah that makes sense. Have any of you had an opportunity to examine one of the concealment briefcases? That may be a safer option then iwb and have to do with the chance of someone noticing a bulge. Just a thought though, just trying to find the best option, seeing that I am knew to this.
Old 06-10-2012, 18:29   #16
Two Guns
VIP MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash0501 View Post
I also have a Gen4 G19 that I use a Comp-tac mtac. It works great and is comfortable all day. It is a tuckable holster that you can use for differant dress styles. Same holster that Sr. Bang linked.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Same here. You can't beat the MTAC.
Old 06-10-2012, 18:37   #17
Cletus

I wear pressed slacks and a button down or polo to work with no coat, so I usually don't carry my Glock. I keep my LCP in my back pocket with my wallet, no holster. I am 100% confident that as long as my finger is not on the double action only trigger, that it will never go off. You may feel more comfortable carrying in your pocket with a wallet type holster. If you are wearing a suit I see no reason to not carry a glock iwb with a Theis or similar holster.
Ruger 10/22 Target
Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail 1911
Cletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 19:11   #18
sappy13

I would go with something a little smaller. I have a g19 that i have carried before to work, and its just not concealable enough in tucked in clothes, unless you wear them very baggy. I wear only fitted clothes, so I typically use my p3aT OR Sig 238. I use them with a belly band with great success. My boss told me he doesnt care if i carry to work, but to remove it when I go onsite at our clients because we dont want to risk loosing a customer if its seen. Id rather carry, but I wont risk my job or affecting my employers business. Keep those things in mind when carrying at work.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 19:17   #19
Haasemd

sappy13 - I will defiantly keep that in mind, that makes perfectly good sense. Seems like the consensus is to get something smaller. I will probably have to wait a few paychecks for that to happen. Have to get those student loans paid off before getting another one.
Old 06-10-2012, 20:05   #20
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

I found one similar to this that had 2 sections. The gun was secured in one section while I used the other section.

Carry Issues

Last edited by bustedknee; 06-10-2012 at 20:05..
bustedknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 20:21   #21
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

I would consider one of the single stack 9's and a Smartcarry with pleated slacks.

My current carry is a S&W 442 in a Smartcarry but a thin 9 would be better.

Regards,
Happyguy
Old 06-10-2012, 21:45   #22
Aeroscoper

Sounds like you'll be wearing about the same thing I wear everyday. I work in a lab but in management so can't rely on the labcoat to cover me up all the time.

My attire has my polo tucked all the time and I've tried just about everything so far, from tuckable holsters with G33 to 1911's. After years of trial and error I find myself with a P380 in my front pocket most of the time if I carry at all.

I wouldn't recommend using anything where you'd have to leave you gun un-attended (briefcase or portfolio type conceal) and I definately wouldn't assume your company is ok with guns on premesis. No large company nowadays is willing to take on the liablilty.

One thing I've had to reluctantly had to live with is the fact that the chances of needing a gun at work is significantly less than needing a job, so I'm not going to risk it unless I have an obvious situation that might change that ratio.

Good luck.
“I care not what puppet is placed on the throne of England to rule the Empire, … The man that controls Britain’s money supply controls the British Empire. And I control the money supply.” – Nathan Meyer Rothschild
Aeroscoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 00:23   #23
blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroscoper View Post
One thing I've had to reluctantly had to live with is the fact that the chances of needing a gun at work is significantly less than needing a job, so I'm not going to risk it unless I have an obvious situation that might change that ratio.

^^^^^^ Good analysis!
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:56   #24
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroscoper View Post

I have thought a lot about that too. I am not able to carry at work. But that little voice in the back of my head keeps whispering "but if you needed that that ONE time.........you would really need it...."
Old 06-11-2012, 05:12   #25
HexHead

Last time I was working in an office environment, I carried my G26 in a Galco UDC, tucked.

Last edited by HexHead; 06-11-2012 at 05:13..
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
business, ccw, pocket carry