Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 12:01   #21
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru
 
Armchair Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bunker in the Midwest
Posts: 4,077


Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I find it somewhat interesting that so many people pick M855 for HD/SD use. Do you guys expect criminals in level III (not IIIa) or IV armor to come busting into your houses, or do you guys just not want to buy other ammo for HD use?
Well most Bad Guys are just looking for a easy score their not looking for a gunfight. Put 3 rds of 5.56 ball through their chest and their going to either die on the spot or haul ass! I use PMC 55 Gr FMJ for home defense only because i plan on shooting through walls if i have to, The entire outside of my house is Brick so i don't have to worry about stray rounds going into the neighbors house and killing them! I do agree with you that there is better sd ammo out there for killing people.
__________________
In the works, 338 Lapua built on a Surgeon 1581/R XL Action/Krieger Stick/Jewel Trigger with a Nightforce NXS 8-32X56 Glass
Some Guardian Angels wear white, The others wear Blackhawk!

Last edited by Armchair Commando; 06-04-2012 at 12:06..
Armchair Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 15:31   #22
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStreetKing View Post
Well most Bad Guys are just looking for a easy score their not looking for a gunfight. Put 3 rds of 5.56 ball through their chest and their going to either die on the spot or haul ass! I use PMC 55 Gr FMJ for home defense only because i plan on shooting through walls if i have to, The entire outside of my house is Brick so i don't have to worry about stray rounds going into the neighbors house and killing them! I do agree with you that there is better sd ammo out there for killing people.
There's a big difference between shooting to stop an attacker, and shooting to kill someone. If you're doing the latter in a self-defense situation, you're doing something wrong.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 17:56   #23
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298
 
Matthew Courtney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I find it somewhat interesting that so many people pick M855 for HD/SD use. Do you guys expect criminals in level III (not IIIa) or IV armor to come busting into your houses, or do you guys just not want to buy other ammo for HD use?
I actually suggest m855 for vehicle carry. Penetrates cars as well as any 5.56 and since I also suggest rotating carry ammo every six months, the cheap price doesn't keep folks from rotating ammo.

For home defense, Barnes vor-tx.
__________________
You will never begin in the fight you have planned for. You will begin in the fight the other guy has planned for. Retreat in a manner that leads him into your fight should he press his attack.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 18:04   #24
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
I actually suggest m855 for vehicle carry. Penetrates cars as well as any 5.56 and since I also suggest rotating carry ammo every six months, the cheap price doesn't keep folks from rotating ammo.

For home defense, Barnes vor-tx.
That's about the only time I advocate it, as well. I usually keep 2 mags of 75gr and one mag of green tip with my SBR when it's riding in the car. Mk. 318 or M995 would be better choices, but the first is more expensive, and the second is very hard to come by.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:39   #25
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular
 
LA_357SIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Not Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
That's about the only time I advocate it, as well. I usually keep 2 mags of 75gr and one mag of green tip with my SBR when it's riding in the car. Mk. 318 or M995 would be better choices, but the first is more expensive, and the second is very hard to come by.
Not many people have 5.56 SBR's. While you would only advocate it out of necessity, others would not have any problems incapacitating soft skinned targets with M855 from 16-20" barrelled AR's from close to medium range. According to the oracle the difference is only 50m less than M193.
__________________
"If I was you I would keep it just like it is... and shoot the **** out of it until something breaks. Then replace whatever it is and keep shooting."
LA_357SIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 16:02   #26
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
Not many people have 5.56 SBR's. While you would only advocate it out of necessity, others would not have any problems incapacitating soft skinned targets with M855 from 16-20" barrelled AR's from close to medium range. According to the oracle the difference is only 50m less than M193.
M855 has a serious issue with inconsistency, especially lot-to-lot, but even within the same lot of ammo. There have been batches that, for whatever reason, simply did not want to fragment reliably. I will still take M193 over 855 for most applications, especially with a longer barrel.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 23:27   #27
Reb 56
Senior Member
 
Reb 56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Texas
Posts: 1,730
PMC 55gr for plinking and Nosler 60gr Partitions for HD or hunting. For serious target shooting I like 69 gr SMK.
__________________
Carlos
Reb 56 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:38.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 610
123 Members
487 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31