Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:01   #21
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I find it somewhat interesting that so many people pick M855 for HD/SD use. Do you guys expect criminals in level III (not IIIa) or IV armor to come busting into your houses, or do you guys just not want to buy other ammo for HD use?
Well most Bad Guys are just looking for a easy score their not looking for a gunfight. Put 3 rds of 5.56 ball through their chest and their going to either die on the spot or haul ass! I use PMC 55 Gr FMJ for home defense only because i plan on shooting through walls if i have to, The entire outside of my house is Brick so i don't have to worry about stray rounds going into the neighbors house and killing them! I do agree with you that there is better sd ammo out there for killing people.

Last edited by Armchair Commando; 06-04-2012 at 12:06..
Armchair Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 15:31   #22
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStreetKing View Post
Well most Bad Guys are just looking for a easy score their not looking for a gunfight. Put 3 rds of 5.56 ball through their chest and their going to either die on the spot or haul ass! I use PMC 55 Gr FMJ for home defense only because i plan on shooting through walls if i have to, The entire outside of my house is Brick so i don't have to worry about stray rounds going into the neighbors house and killing them! I do agree with you that there is better sd ammo out there for killing people.
There's a big difference between shooting to stop an attacker, and shooting to kill someone. If you're doing the latter in a self-defense situation, you're doing something wrong.
Old 06-04-2012, 17:56   #23
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
I find it somewhat interesting that so many people pick M855 for HD/SD use. Do you guys expect criminals in level III (not IIIa) or IV armor to come busting into your houses, or do you guys just not want to buy other ammo for HD use?
I actually suggest m855 for vehicle carry. Penetrates cars as well as any 5.56 and since I also suggest rotating carry ammo every six months, the cheap price doesn't keep folks from rotating ammo.

For home defense, Barnes vor-tx.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 18:04   #24
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
I actually suggest m855 for vehicle carry. Penetrates cars as well as any 5.56 and since I also suggest rotating carry ammo every six months, the cheap price doesn't keep folks from rotating ammo.

For home defense, Barnes vor-tx.
That's about the only time I advocate it, as well. I usually keep 2 mags of 75gr and one mag of green tip with my SBR when it's riding in the car. Mk. 318 or M995 would be better choices, but the first is more expensive, and the second is very hard to come by.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:39   #25
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
That's about the only time I advocate it, as well. I usually keep 2 mags of 75gr and one mag of green tip with my SBR when it's riding in the car. Mk. 318 or M995 would be better choices, but the first is more expensive, and the second is very hard to come by.
Not many people have 5.56 SBR's. While you would only advocate it out of necessity, others would not have any problems incapacitating soft skinned targets with M855 from 16-20" barrelled AR's from close to medium range. According to the oracle the difference is only 50m less than M193.
Old 06-05-2012, 16:02   #26
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
Not many people have 5.56 SBR's. While you would only advocate it out of necessity, others would not have any problems incapacitating soft skinned targets with M855 from 16-20" barrelled AR's from close to medium range. According to the oracle the difference is only 50m less than M193.
M855 has a serious issue with inconsistency, especially lot-to-lot, but even within the same lot of ammo. There have been batches that, for whatever reason, simply did not want to fragment reliably. I will still take M193 over 855 for most applications, especially with a longer barrel.
Old 06-05-2012, 23:27   #27
Reb 56

PMC 55gr for plinking and Nosler 60gr Partitions for HD or hunting. For serious target shooting I like 69 gr SMK.