SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-02-2012, 14:39   #21
FatBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocksterr View Post
that has to be one brutally heavy hunting gun.

what you plan on hunting?

why not .300AAC?

Mine weighs less than 8lbs w/o scope. A Rem 700 in 308 weighs just over 7lbs.

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 14:39   #22
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
300AAC isn't really a hunting round.

I mean, it'll get the job done, but it wouldn't exactly be my first pick.

na, .308 is my first pick but i dont think its worth lugging the extra 3-4 pounds all day but that depends on the type of hunting you do.
glocksterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 14:45   #23
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
Saiga .308 and convert it yourself.
That's what I'm doing

Bought the saiga 308 brand new for $590 shipped
Old 06-02-2012, 14:52   #24
uzimon
team ftp

<---wants a .308 ar also. if anything for the availability of relatively inexpensive 7.62 nato surplus. another make to consider would be LMT.
there's a few .308 ar forums you can read up on
Quote:
na, .308 is my first pick but i dont think its worth lugging the extra 3-4 pounds all day but that depends on the type of hunting you do.
cia u/f ak, benelli m2 tac

Last edited by uzimon; 06-02-2012 at 14:53..
uzimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 14:55   #25
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

You say you want a rifle to hunt with. What will you be hunting? Tactics dictate gear; this is true for hunting as well.

You say you want a SD rifle, but usually setting up a SD rifle makes it a pretty poor hunting rifle. Example, a SD rifle should have a red-dot optic, light, and be in a caliber that won't do too much damage if it misses (5.56 is great for this). Ideally for hunting, you'll want a fixed or variable powered magnified optic, no light (unless you really want to be questioned by the game warden), and be in a caliber suitable to humanely take the game that you're hunting.

I would pick which one of these is more important to you, and go from there.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 15:00   #26
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
Mine weighs less than 8lbs w/o scope. A Rem 700 in 308 weighs just over 7lbs.

DPMS?

splitting hairs again and we are not talking about 700 rems.

i can spilt them too. how much more does the ammo weight?

you add up the gun and spare clips and see if my 300 blackout is not 3-4 pounds less on average. after hunting with a semi auto .308 i can tell you it is...
Old 06-02-2012, 15:22   #27
vettely

Here is ny .308 I just put together under $500. (have trigger guard on order). It shoots great. The rifle with scope (I changed the scope and stock) was $300.00 out the door at Academy Sports. I think Wallys carries Mossberg also.

Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by vettely; 06-02-2012 at 15:22..
vettely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:04   #28
FatBoy

Quote:
DPMS?

splitting hairs again and we are not talking about 700 rems.

i can spilt them too. how much more does the ammo weight?

you add up the gun and spare clips and see if my 300 blackout is not 3-4 pounds less on average. after hunting with a semi auto .308 i can tell you it is...
Who the heck uses spare clips in an AR? We are not talking about M1s are we? Those are heavy.

As far as splitting hairs...The OP asked about a dual purpose gun for SD and hunting. I guess I assumed we were talking about standard SD and hunting purposes.

you said
Quote:
that has to be one brutally heavy hunting gun.

what you plan on hunting?

why not .300AAC?
So I compared a standard hunting .308 to my AR10. Showing there was not much difference in weight. Maybe you were not talking to either me, the OP, or his question.

How many extra clipsmags/ammo do you carry when you go hunting anyhow? Fully loaded chest rig maybe?

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 06-02-2012, 18:17   #29
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

an AR10 under 8 pounds? i dont like pencil barrels. but ya, load it up with 50 or so rounds and toss it all on a scale and let me know...

Last edited by glocksterr; 06-02-2012 at 18:41..
Old 06-02-2012, 18:22   #30
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

Quote:
How many extra clipsmags/ammo do you carry when you go hunting anyhow? Fully loaded chest rig maybe?

well i did carry 40 rounds 10+10+20 in .308 plus one or two back-ups guns but i plan on carrying 20+20+30 now. i hunt in a very dangerous place.

Old 06-02-2012, 18:23   #31
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
i too would like to know what you plan on hunting? 300blk will make similar power to a 30-30 and lots of people use those for hunting.

that said, you can also look into building one. rainier arms sells cmmg lowers or you can get them from tactical machining among others. they are dpms spec lowers. like any other ar build, the parts to pay attention to are the bolt and barrel. most everything else should be fine as long as its in spec. only problems ive ever heard about dpms rifles were a few with out of spec mag wells and lots of mag related problems, which were supposedly solved by magpul.

i plan on building one in the near future but i will be doing an 80% lower ar15 build first.
Old 06-02-2012, 19:22   #32
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockbanger View Post
In my quest to find the right bolt action rifle, I've heard bad things specifically about the low end 700s.
The worst thing that can be said of a low end 700 is that it is not a high end 700, but I would think that that is self-evident. Many folks like low end 700's because the intend to customize them so they don't wish to pay for features they are going to change anyway. As for those who save money by buying a rifle with fewer features, then complain about the lack of features, how much credibility are we going to give them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 19:22   #33
FatBoy

Quote:
an AR10 under 8 pounds? i dont like pencil barrels. but ya, load it up with 50 or so rounds and toss it all on a scale and let me know...

No pencil barrel, just a standard AR10 carbine. Go to ArmaLite's site and look it up if you'd like.

I never needed 50 rds when I went hunting. I am a better shot I guess.

I think we will all agree that an AR15 sized weapon is lighter, even more so when you add in a full battle load, but that's not what the OP asked for.

The .300AAC is on my list of wants, along w/ a 6.5G. Both would serve someone well.

M1a: I am not sure the .300 quite equals the 30-30, I'd have to look it up. Maybe 300 ft-lb less+/-. That being said, I'd be fine w/ using it for most things.

Old 06-02-2012, 19:30   #34
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
what range and game is he hunting? in pretty sure a barnes would make a .50 cal Through and through in just about any whitetail your likely to see.

But at 300 yards if you are 10% or so off in range estimation, you miss, or worse, you lose a wounded animal. With a .308 inside of 300, estimating range is superfluous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:16   #35
bxny10455

6.8 spc would meet your need for SD, hunting, & can be setup between 7-8lbs.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:14   #36
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

Quote:
I am not sure the .300 quite equals the 30-30, I'd have to look it up.

with available factory ammo the .300 blackout far surpasses .30-30.

Last edited by glocksterr; 06-03-2012 at 14:28..
Old 06-03-2012, 05:24   #37
NBT

I love my Armalite AR10T, it does sport a Lothar Walther 24" stainless match polygonal rifled barrel. That barrel is a consistent sub MOA shooter. That upper is a chunk though, so I picked up an Armalite 16" upper, which lightened the gun up significantly. Not sure what the weight is on the 16" carbine set up...but I can toss it on the scale later if needed.

As FatBoy stated, not all uppers/lowers are interchangeable...so do your homework if you try and do a build.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:21   #38
uzimon
team ftp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I love my Armalite AR10T, it does sport a Lothar Walther 24" stainless match polygonal rifled barrel. That barrel is a consistent sub MOA shooter. That upper is a chunk though, so I picked up an Armalite 16" upper, which lightened the gun up significantly. Not sure what the weight is on the 16" carbine set up...but I can toss it on the scale later if needed.

As FatBoy stated, not all uppers/lowers are interchangeable...so do your homework if you try and do a build.
good to hear your success with armalite. the "experts" at m4carbine.net claim the only .308's worth a damn are larue or lmt and another i can't recall atm.
buying an armalite over those, i'll have enough left over to get a 6920
cia u/f ak, benelli m2 tac
uzimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:44   #39
jbotstein1

I hunt hogs with my DPMS LR308T. I say I hunt hogs because I've yet to kill one, but I can tell you I've hiked A LOT with this gun and it is heavy with a 20 rd mag. Not unbearable, but it is heavy. I've owned this rifle for 5+ years and have had no problems. No experience with other manufacturers, but perfect is hard to beat as far as I'm concerned. They are a lot of fun to shoot.
jbotstein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:23   #40
themighty9mm

I understand you want a 308 AR for HD and hunting. However, if I may make another suggestion. How about a 5.56 AR15 for HD. Then a seconed upper in something like 243, 458 socom, 50 beowolf, or another suitible caliber depending on what you are hunting. You will spend roughly the same ish, but have a pretty good caliber for both worlds.

Last edited by themighty9mm; 06-03-2012 at 09:28..
themighty9mm is offline   Reply With Quote