Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:49   #1
richk

New (to me) G19 Gen 2

I just picked up a beautiful Gen 2 Glock 19. I still love my Beretta, but there's no denying the simplicity and practically of a nice Glock (not to mention the weight...)
I may be carrying the weapon, so a friend suggested a few modifications and I wanted to see what the general opinions, and pros and cons are on these points: - Extended slide release, - Extended mag release, - Grip plug, - Extended take-down levers.
Also any other recommended modifications, and what sort of prices should I be paying for these?
richk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:18   #2
Luigimoto

I recently inherited one. Check to make sure it does not need to have the internals replaced as per glock. You will have to search for the serial numbers affected. I think they were two letter ones around HE or KE. Mine is an ASX ### so It wasn't affected. (senior members will probably chime in with more accurate info)

I put a glock 17 trigger in it and shot 500 rounds through it. It was flawless. Only other thing I plan on doing to mine is adding night sights.
Luigimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 23:23   #3
Mholnic

Extended Slide Release: I got one today from a local gunsmith... paid $15 and he installed it right there. Definitely a large improvement, I can get more of my thumb on the release but it's both small and rounded off enough that it doesn't interfere with holstering. Worth the money, imho.

Plug: I suspected (and he confirmed) that grip plugs were largely useless, but if people are willing to buy them he said he was willing to take their money. I have seen a few references to special metal (heavier) plugs for competition shooters to change the nature of the recoil but I don't know anything beyond that. I didn't get one, nor does it sound like it was worth buying. I think the plug (plastic) was 6 dollars.. but I could be misremembering.

Extended Magazine Release: My hands are on the small side so I was interested in one -- however when I asked about the extended mag release the 'smith told me that it could be hazardous if you carried concealed. The body or holster would sometimes cause your magazine to release at... well, less than opportune times. Given that I carry IWB he rather forcefully suggested that I just keep practicing my manual release and skip the upgrade. He said it was something that competition shooters or those that use a certain type of open carry holster might use, but that the benefit(s) didn't outweigh the risks for most people. So like the plug, it sounds like something a competition shooter might want. It would've cost $10.

After my next firearm purchase I'll be looking to switch out my sights, lots of options there. Grips are great but like I said my hands are small, so they make it easier for me to hold less of the weapon. I'll either get some light stippling done ($60) or buy some tape (<$5).
Mholnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 16:58   #4
Bluescot

I had a 19 Gen 2 that I bought a long time ago and since then transferred it to my wife.

I was reading about the upgrades that Glock makes to the older models and called Glock and sent mine in.

About 2-3 weeks later it comes back in a new black plastic box with a Gen 3 frame on it. I thought ok that's cool and then I dismantled it and found the frame was complete with all new internals all done at no cost to me. The only thing that is Gen 2 is the complete slide. Now the serial numbers on the frame don't match the slide if that's a concern for you but I was well pleased with the service.

A little polishing here and there and it's like a new Gen 3.

If that fits into your plans it could be something to consider.
Bluescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 18:10   #5
M4roni

That is good to know Bluescot. I recently purchased a Gen 2 Glock 19, and the pin is walking out when I fire it, i will give Glock a call and see what they can do.
M4roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 00:16   #6
richk

Thanks a lot for the opinions on the pros and cons. Also, it looks like it is one of the older model Glocks and hasn't had the insides changed out yet. I like the Gen 2 frame better than the Gen 3 because the finger grooves don't like up right for me on the Gen 3. I'll call Glock this week and see what I have to do.
I would like in anyone has any more input on recommended modifications and why. Luigimoto mentioned changing out the trigger for the Glock 17 trigger. I know the 17 is not serrated like the 19, but is there any other difference? Pros and Cons?
Thanks again for your input!
richk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 13:40   #7
Mholnic

After your call to Glock, I think you should visit a few local 'smiths and see what your options are. The one I talked to said that he removed the finger grooves on gen 3/4s for free on any stippling job if the customer didn't like them. It's entirely possible that you can have both a rail and no finger grooves, rather than picking one or the other.
Mholnic is offline   Reply With Quote