Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:49   #1
Kyle M.

Reloads for self defense?

I do not yet have my ccw but plan to get it as soon as time and money allow. I was talking to a local instructor who teaches said course, and he told me whatever you do never ever under any circumstances carry reloads in your carry gun. I know several people who do exactly this, his take on the situation is that a civil lawsuit could come along due to your using reloaded ammo, and the prosecution could say I was using extra deadly ammo. I dont see this especially comparing my fmj loads to some of the fancy new extra deadly self defense ammo out there, not to mention that terrible zombie max ammo idea. But this instructor says its just not worth the legal trouble. So I was just wondering whats everyones opinion on this?

Pedersoli Rolling Block .45-70
Kyle M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:03   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Welcome to Glock Talk, Kyle. Your question is one of the most contentious on the gun boards. Personally, I would recommend strongly against using handloads for defensive purposes. No one has yet found a case where the courts accepted the defendant's word or records as to what was in the gun, when gunshot residue testing became necessary to determine a disputed distance of the shot in question. Seen that in criminal court, so it's not just a civil court thing.

You'll find long threads on this issue in the archives here, and more with a search at www.thehighroad.org and www.thefiringline.com.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote