Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-14-2012, 13:56   #1
ADK_40GLKr

In the Gravest Extreme

I have finally obtained a copy of your book, In the Gravest Extreme, from our local library and am gaining a lot of insight from it. Early on, in discussing calibers for urban situations, you said:

“… the .38 Super Automatic and the 9 m/m cartridge used in the popular Luger and Walther P-38, share this dangerously excessive penetrating power.

“Conversely, .25 and .32 caliber guns are not potent enough to instantly neutralize a violent opponent, unless the bullets are placed with surgical precision. The only small-caliber handgun worth thinking about at all is a high quality .22 firing the long rifle hollowpoint cartridge, for two reasons: mild report and absence of recoil make it relatively easy for the novice to shoot with speed and accuracy, and the extremely low cost of ammunition encourages skill-building practice. There is an axiom to the effect that a hit with a .22 is preferable to a miss with a .45. Still the .38 Special revolver or .380 automatic should be considered the best compromise of power and controllability.”

Granted you published this 32 years ago, and bullet technology has changed pretty dramatically since then.

How much would you amend that statement today?
Old 05-14-2012, 17:43   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

As you noted, ADK, bullet technology has improved by leaps and bounds in the intervening decades. Today's better 9mm loads are excellent, and the 9mm pistol is now available in formats as small and light as the .380s of 1980. I no longer see much need for .380s, given the state of 9mm gun/ammo technology today, which has also resolved the overpenetration problems of rounds like the 9mm and .38 Super with older tech ammo.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 18:06   #3
ADK_40GLKr

Do you still consider a .22 LR hollow point superior to .25 and .32?
Old 05-15-2012, 00:31   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I would be inclined today to go with the centerfire rimless cartridge if only for reliability in feeding and ignition. I don't have much use for the .25; never saw a useful load for it since the passing of the late, lamented .25 MSC round. .32 Gold Dot or Silvertip would get my nod over .22 LR today, neither available when I wrote "In the Gravest Extreme."

And, of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention here that I don't consider any of those calibers adequate.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:49   #5
ADK_40GLKr

Again, Mas, thank you for sharing your experience and expertise with all of us!

Still enjoying the book, and gaining a LOT of insight from it!!

Last edited by ADK_40GLKr; 05-15-2012 at 05:53..
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote