SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:37   #1
M24C

Over travel stops

Mas,

I've been reading your books and many posts and articles. You have made clear do NOT lighten the trigger doesn't matter the gun. You have recommended the NY-1 trigger with the Glocks. (Of which I'm going to try especially on my future Carry guns). You have also stated that a smoothed trigger, should be no problems legally.

My question is what about over travel stops on a trigger? On the Glock you can get adaptations whether on the the trigger or inside the gun to stop the trigger movement after fire. On some methods of this like the Ghost trigger bar does reduce the trigger pull and adds an over travel stop. Though I believe that a NY-1 added would make the overall pull higher than stock even with the 3.5 connector. Though other companies offer just an over travel stop even with a stock connector. I've liked the over travel stops on my two Glocks I have. But I'm asking from legal sense. If the trigger is heavier than stock such as the case with a 3.5 connector with NY-1 or just a standard trigger with an over travel stop with a stock or heavier trigger where would that put someone if having to defend in court? On the smooth side of the legal argument or the lighten trigger side in the defense of argument? My guess would be the smooth side, But I have been wrong before.

As a side note, I would like to thank you again for all you have done in informing us the laypeople out here of our rights and what not to do to minimize legal problems, with our 2nd amendment rights. THANK YOU!
40 Club number #164
M24C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:43   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

M24C, your question takes us into uncharted territory. I've never heard of an overtravel stop being an issue at trial, and have certainly never run across it myself in 33 years now as an expert witness for the courts in weapons and shooting cases.

What I have run across multiple times is, as you've noted, the argument that a too-light trigger was an indication of negligence on the part of the shooter, in both criminal and civil cases.

Where you see documented problems with trigger stops is on the mechanical side and the tactical side. On many systems, if the trigger stop gets out of adjustment, it can "stop the trigger too soon" and render the pistol unshootable: a death trap if the gun ever has to be fired in defense of self or others.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 13:02   #3
M24C

Thanks again Mas! As you do in your books. You are pointing the pros and the cons of the situation.
40 Club number #164
M24C is offline   Reply With Quote