SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:34   #1
Cwlongshot

Tomahawks

Anyone give any thought to one?

I have a Vietnam tomahawk from cold steel but like the looks of the Trench Hawk too. Any thoughts?

http://www.coldsteel.com/trench-hawk.html

CW
Old 05-11-2012, 11:06   #2
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Mall Indian.

Tomahawks do a lousy job chopping and splitting wood when compared to an axe, a lousy job stopping threats when compared to a gun, and a lousy job doing anything else compared to a knife.

They're a fun toy, but no substitute for real tools.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:49   #3
bdcochran

An excellent choice if you live in a wooded area and expect to be on your own for survival. You probably would want some beyond entry level leatherman and a quality folder first.

Not a viable choice if you live in a desert area, the great plains or above the snow line.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:32   #4
Glocksanity

Selko said the Tomahawk was his favorite and go to tool. Never went anywhere without it.

YMMV.

Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis!
Glocksanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 13:50   #5
quake

I'd have to - strangely perhaps - agree with both Bushflyr and bdcochran on this. In the woods, a good tomahawk can be very effective; for defensive use, it would be far from my first choice. In the woods I'd prefer a normal hatchet over a tomahawk, but to be fair a tomahawk can still accomplish quite a bit.

That said, epsecially seeing as you already have a combat-oriented tomahawk, I could never see a 'need' for a second; but it doesn't always have to be about need. Sometimes "just because" is a good enough reason for a new purchase.

At least for me personally; my wife seems to feel differently about that. She didn't at all buy the "some of them are left-handed knives and some of them are right-handed knives" argument when she looked in the safe a while back.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 13:58   #6
cyrsequipment
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushflyr View Post
Mall Indian.

Tomahawks do a lousy job chopping and splitting wood when compared to an axe, a lousy job stopping threats when compared to a gun, and a lousy job doing anything else compared to a knife.

Name a handheld weapon that you would choose to stop a threat instead of a gun.

I personally don't see the need for one but as Quake said, you don't have to need something to buy it.

If I was going to chop down a tree or chop kindling, that blade style would not be my first choice at all. And I'm not seeing it as an effective weapon, but if it works for you...
Old 05-11-2012, 16:04   #7
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrsequipment View Post
If I was going to chop down a tree or chop kindling, that blade style would not be my first choice at all. And I'm not seeing it as an effective weapon, but if it works for you...
This. A good hatchet is a better tool and a knife is a better weapon. I play with one at the competitions at mountain man events. It would not be my first choice in a bug out bag. I have a hatchet, Estwing axe and a large knife in the tool box in my truck. Tomahawk is in my rendezvous junk at home.
Old 05-11-2012, 16:14   #8
Cwlongshot

Thanks for the tips guys. I liked the "look" and watched the Patriot last week end and it got me thinking I guess...

CW
Old 05-11-2012, 19:55   #9
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Several of my crew chiefs carried them in Iraq. Can be a very handy tool that can do most of the cutting/smashing chores you require.

I really want one to carry on my crash bag, but I just haven't found the tool I want. Probably going to break down and just order one of these

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....ty+Bar+-+30%22

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 23:21   #10
9mm +p+

Keep a CS trench hawk in my Jeep, never know when it'll come in handy.
Old 05-12-2012, 00:15   #11
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I have a trailhawk with the hammer back so I can use it for pounding stakes and nails. Came in handy a few times when I needed to have a flat pounding surface and I didn't have a hammer with me. As for the axe part, yeah, a full sized axe would do better but for light chopping and all around coolness, the tomahawk wins.

My buddy has the trench hawk, vicious looking weapon... but not very utilitarian when you need it, it's more like a dedicated weapon hawk.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 00:57   #12
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrsequipment View Post
Name a handheld weapon that you would choose to stop a threat instead of a gun.
Your point?

Quote:
I personally don't see the need for one but as Quake said, you don't have to need something to buy it.
Hell, he can buy whatever he wants. Like I said above it's a cool toy. But, since he posted in the S&P forum, I gave my thoughts on it as a S&P tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
I really want one to carry on my crash bag, but I just haven't found the tool I want. Probably going to break down and just order one of these..
Handle one of those before you buy. I've played with them just because they look so cool, but they are FREAKING HEAVY for what they are. They're also expensive and I couldn't really figure out anything that it could do better than a regular old cheapie crowbar. Honestly, do you need a board straightener in your BOB?

I picked up an 18" Eastwing prybar for ~20$ and it's been awesome. I used the crap out of it doing demo and construction and it held up pretty good. The only damage was I finally destroyed the nail notch by pounding it through nails and screws to shear them off the concrete forms. It's compact, light, cheap, and does an awesome job.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
My buddy has the trench hawk, vicious looking weapon... but not very utilitarian when you need it, it's more like a dedicated weapon hawk.
On that note one of the harder training groups reviewed hawks in general. (I don't recall where the write up was) The consensus was that a spike on the back posed just as much, if not more, danger to the wielder than his opponent. You could do some serious damage with a hawk, but for real fighting, a hammer back was a better choice. But overall a hawk was WAY down the list of HtH weapons.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:00   #13
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:

Handle one of those before you buy. I've played with them just because they look so cool, but they are FREAKING HEAVY for what they are. They're also expensive and I couldn't really figure out anything that it could do better than a regular old cheapie crowbar. Honestly, do you need a board straightener in your BOB?

I'm looking for something for my crash bag, so I need the ability to break armored windows, punch through steel vehicle sides/aircraft skin etc. My crash bag is more of a special tool/incident bag that a BOB.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 05-12-2012, 01:23   #14
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Ouch. You're going to be hard pressed to find a hand tool that does all that. Maybe the old style crash axe?

It would be interesting to kludge together a crash axe and a p38 and see how it did.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:09   #15
cyrsequipment
Angry

My point is that that two types of weapons have completely different purposes and you were comparing apples to oranges...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 05-12-2012, 07:16   #16
kimo

I carry a heavy machete rather than a hawk. Good for chopping, cutting, clearing, shaving
From all that terror teaches, From lies of tongue & pen, From all the easy speeches That comfort cruel men. From sale & profanation Of honor and of sword,From sleep and from damnation, Deliver us, Good Lord.
GK Chesterton
kimo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:57   #17
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

Quote:
Mall Indian.

Toys for unskilled posters maybe, but you really shouldn't assume that everybody is unskilled and unconditioned.

I'll wager a lot of indians will disagree with your informative post.

"Don't toy with me Ernie,I've already dispatched with Mr. Hooper,I've got six armed men stationed outside Big Birds nest,and as for Linda? Well its rather difficult for a deaf woman to hear an assasin approach now isn't it?-Stewy

Last edited by Bravo 1; 05-12-2012 at 16:19..
Bravo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 14:38   #18
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
Ouch. You're going to be hard pressed to find a hand tool that does all that. Maybe the old style crash axe?

It would be interesting to kludge together a crash axe and a p38 and see how it did.

Crash axes are a great idea, wrapped in terrible execution. Every helicopter has one. Having actually used one, I find them about useless.

Old 05-12-2012, 20:39   #19
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Well, to be fair, a spear is probably the best handheld weapon an untrained person can use. It provides standoff and also gives you both slashing and stabbing capabilty.
It also requires the least amount of skill vs say a knife or tomahawk. Needless to say, there is a reason the spear was THE infantry weapon of choice for eons.

But a well designed tomahawk has way more utility than a big honking knife. I think the Vietnam style tomahawks are not that great--I find the cutting edge has bad angles.
I also would rather see a hammer poll opposite the cutting edge vs a spike. Certainly a tomahawk is not a master of anything. But a good one can chop wood fine. Its a fearsome CQB weapon if you understand its limitations (forget throwing it). Trust me, a tomahawk wielding Indian ruined more than a few white men's days.

I have used a tomahawk on deer and its adequate. Not great. But you use the head like an eskimo knife and it can do the job. Not as well as a 3" hunting knife. But easily as well as something like a Cold Steel Trailmaster knife.

Don't dis the tomahawk.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 21:13   #20
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I thought pikemen were standard formal infantry weapons but for eons, it was just a club or whatever stick or blunt object was at hand... then if you were a little more successful, you had some type of chopping bladed weapon that slashed but no stabbing capability.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote