Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:10   #1
TexasGlockster

Siderlock

I recently purchased a Gen 4 G17. I love the gun but have always been the guy that wants external safeties. I found a company that makes a very simple trigger crossbar safety mechanism called Siderlock (if you google them its the first thing that pops up). Anyone had any experience with these? I'm most curious if using this trigger is compatible with the 3.5 lb trigger connector upgrade I want to get and if it causes overall complications (FTF, FTE, or other). Any other feedback would be great though.
TexasGlockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 15:21   #2
TexasGlockster

Bump

Really? Anyone?
Old 11-15-2011, 15:22   #3
Adjuster

Did you try this?

http://glocktalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=9141964

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:41   #4
dogchild

I have a siderlock on my G19, i can't answer your question about being compatible with your new transfer bar, im not aware of it affecting my stock transfer bar
I like the siderlock. its easy to install and you dont have to ruin your stock trigger to install it, despite what the instructions say
Old 11-20-2011, 17:34   #5
TexasGlockster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogchild View Post
I have a siderlock on my G19, i can't answer your question about being compatible with your new transfer bar, im not aware of it affecting my stock transfer bar
I like the siderlock. its easy to install and you dont have to ruin your stock trigger to install it, despite what the instructions say
Did you install it yourself or did you take it to a glock armorer? I don't have a lot of experience tinkering with firearms (except cleaning them). Are any special tools required?
Old 11-21-2011, 20:20   #6
dogchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGlockster View Post
Did you install it yourself or did you take it to a glock armorer? I don't have a lot of experience tinkering with firearms (except cleaning them). Are any special tools required?
Yes i did it myself, after watching a UTube video titled Glock 26 Add On's PT2. It's pretty easy but you'll want to pay special attention in how to reconnect the new trigger back to the trigger bar.
If you want to save your stock trigger, support it over a solid piece of steel instead of the supplied ring that comes with the SiderLock Kit, don't drive your trigger pin out the other side, just tap it a couple of times with the supplied punch and a hammer, just enough that you can see a protrusion from the other side, then flip the trigger over and drive the trigger pin out from the protrusion side.

Hope this helps

Last edited by dogchild; 11-21-2011 at 20:21..
dogchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:32   #7
rhicaro

I know it's been a few months since this thread started, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I'm not going to debate the issue of safeties on pistols. To me that's a personal choice. Love 'em or leave 'em. Personally, I'm all for safeties on pistols, but that's just me. They're on all 1911s and no one seems to debate that (you'e be a fool to carry a 1911 in condition one with the thumb safety off... possibly a dead fool). Anyway...

I installed the Siderlock on my Gen 4 G-17 about a year ago and had problems with the trigger failing to reset. I called the company and according to Siderlock, there is a small bump on the trigger bar of Gen 4's that is creating the problem. It keeps the trigger from resetting correctly. They told me to sand it off. "Hell no," I told them.

They state on their website that installation of the Siderlock will not void the Glock warranty so long as you don't alter the other parts of the Glock. Well, I think sanding down the trigger bar is modifying a Glock and therefore voiding the warranty. Also, since you have to remove the stock trigger to install the Siderlock which damages the stock trigger (not critically, but you do have to push the trigger retainer pin through plastic showing that it was obviously removed), that might void the warranty, too.

So, I removed the Siderlock trigger, replaced the stock trigger, then sent the thing back for a full refund (which I got). I was out the cost of shipping, though. Lesson learned: while this device does work for Glocks prior to Gen 4's, it does NOT work for Gen 4 Glocks. I like the idea behind the product, but the company totally fails in not being forthcoming about the product's incompatibility with Gen 4's, creating trigger reset problems, and voiding the Glock warranty.
rhicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:46   #8
tnstaafl

I, too, was one of the guys that wanted a asfety on my G36 - so I had a Glock Gunsmith add a Siderlock - it was unobtrusive and functional until this weekend at a GSSF match when the pin came partially out and screwed my trigger - I was able to get the pin back in and complete the match, but the next thing I did was to take the gun over to the Glock Armorer at the GSSF match and even though he didn't have to, he replaced the Siderlock with a standard G36 trigger.

For me, I solved the problem of wanting a safety by simply not carying with one in the chamber - like with wanting a safety or not, carrying with one in the chamber or not is a personal decision - my gun, my decision.

Last edited by tnstaafl; 05-06-2012 at 08:38..
tnstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:23   #9
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Ain't nothing wrong with an external user-applied safety on a Glock. (It's just that Gaston doesn't want to give you one!)

Before I'd go for a, 'sider whatever' I'd choose a Cominolli Glock safety, first. The Siderlock requires you to violate Cooper's third rule of gun safety every time you use it. The Cominolli Glock safety is (perfectly) frame mounted and operates like a conventional 1911 safety. True, the Siderlock works; but, in my opinion, just isn't an ideal design.

http://www.cominolli.com/
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:29   #10
user1

most of us start adding add-ons to our glocks when we first purchase them. after awhile we determine that we don't really need this add-ons and remove them.

You wrote, "I'm most curious if using this trigger is compatible with the 3.5 lb trigger connector upgrade I want to get and if it causes overall complications (FTF, FTE, or other). Any other feedback would be great though."

the "safety trigger" or siderlock will not impact the glock connector.
a very cool cross block safety for your glock for only $50.oo !!
poster "dogchild" offers good advice to all. "you'll want to pay special attention in how to..."

if you don't want to discharge your weapon, or if you don't want the weapon to jump up and discharge itself, keep-your-finger-OFF-the-trigger. the Glock Safe Action system is worth using and learning about.

Last edited by user1; 05-06-2012 at 08:41..
user1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:35   #11
tnstaafl

I have one of the Cominolli-type safetys on another Glock, my G23 - it was my first handgun, and I was just not comfortable without a safety on the gun - I got caught up in all the "one in the chamber" discussions, and figured that if I was gonna carry with one in the chamber, I should have a safety - well, I decided for me (back to the my gun, my decision thing) not to carry with one in the chamber, and if I had it to do over I would have NOT had the Cominolli type safety put on my gun - it works OK (although I can see how it might snag on something), but the other thing is that now that I have that small cut in the frame of my G23, it makes it almost impossible to sell the gun, which I'd like to do, but with that cut in the frame, it puts a lotta people off.
tnstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:50   #12
user1

posted in wrong forum

Last edited by user1; 05-06-2012 at 09:09.. Reason: posted in wrong forum
Old 05-07-2012, 14:55   #13
Steve in Az
Glock 26

I don't care for "additional" safeties or loaded chamber indicators, as I believe (IMO) they make us complacent, and attempt to replace good common sense. Live long enough with these contraptions and you'll soon forget how to handle a gun properly. People will come to "trust" these devices instead of physically varifying that the gun is unloaded/loaded and/or safe. Problem is, devices FAIL.

However, it's just my opinion.

Last edited by Steve in Az; 05-07-2012 at 14:56..
Steve in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 15:30   #14
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

I treat My loaded G22 as I would a revolver. It ain't gonna fire til I pull the trigger.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 15:38   #15
token5gtd

The video has been taken down now, but there was a vid on youtube of a guy with a siderlock G26 that would randomly run away (full auto).

I don't care what they say about the product, what they've changed or "fixed", after seeing that video, this thing is a BAAAD idea.

Keep your finger off the trigger and it won't go bang. There are vids floating around with guys throwing chambered glocks out of cessnas, running them over, slamming them to the ground, dragging behind trucks... no bang. Glocks have three mechanical safeties, your finger is a fourth. Man up and carry the damn gun.

Last edited by token5gtd; 05-07-2012 at 15:38..
token5gtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 15:41   #16
token5gtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnstaafl View Post
For me, I solved the problem of wanting a safety by simply not carying with one in the chamber - like with wanting a safety or not, carrying with one in the chamber or not is a personal decision - my gun, my decision.
A foolish decision that could easily get you killed.

I try to be open minded but I just do not get this mindset... An unloaded gun is USELESS.

Last edited by token5gtd; 05-07-2012 at 15:42..
token5gtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:32   #17
user1

Your Post Below

Steve,
I share your point of view.
Your point is well taken.

I hope that readers of this thread will read your post in a thoughtful manner.
I don't care for "additional" safeties or loaded chamber indicators, as I believe (IMO) they make us complacent, and attempt to replace good common sense. Live long enough with these contraptions and you'll soon forget how to handle a gun properly. People will come to "trust" these devices instead of physically varifying that the gun is unloaded/loaded and/or safe. Problem is, devices FAIL.

However, it's just my opinion.

Tags
safety, siderlock