GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-20-2012, 20:44   #1
Stimo

Glock/XD help with sight removal/installs!

Hey all, i've been helping out people on other forums for quite some time now removing and installing sights for fellow forum members at basically no charge (all iask is that you cover shipping both ways and a bit for gas for delivery to post office, etc.). A lot of people ask why i do this so i'll just answer that now; I have a GREAT universal sight pusher that was designed by a gunsmith/toolmaker and is 5 times th size of most other sight pushers I've seen, which gives you much more mechanical leverage making it easier to push the sights if they're stuck on there tight (mostly XD's). Not only that, unlike other sight pushers that only have 1 point of contact to hold the slide in position, this sight pusher has 2, both from the top/bottom and from side/side. I'd rather help people out and use it then watch it sit in a drawer and collect dust. It doesn't take long at all and i don't mind doing it. I've always liked to help people out which is probably why i'm training to become a Police Officer, it just makes me feel good to help others. Anyways here are a couple pictures of the pusher i've used on multiple guns;

Sights, Optics and Lasers

I've done many Glocks, 1911's, XD's especially, FNP/X's, etc. As long as the slide isn't wider than 1 3/16ths of an inch, you're good to go (so basically as long as you don't own a Desert Eagle, a few types of Rugers i think and i believe possibly one or two types of Glocks MAY not fit, but i haven't measured them all so i don't know, they may all fit perfectly fine but i know the Desert Eagle is wider .

I guarantee my work and will not scratch/scuff your slide or sights with this sight pusher. If i do i guarantee to have it fixed at my expense (i've NEVER marked a slide/sight so i'm not worried about it, I'm alway's EXTREMELY careful when it comes to this because i don't want to be paying ~$100 for it to be re-coated ).

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I also have a Dremel as well, and if you want to send your barrel i can polish your feed ramp as well, no extra charge for that obviously. Thanks for your time and happy shooting!

Last edited by Stimo; 04-20-2012 at 20:47..
Stimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 22:19   #2
PghJim

Stimo - you are a great guy and I think you should charge a little, unless the work is so sporadic it would not pay to set up a system.

On Glocks, once the rear sight is in the middle, I use a small hammer with a plastic screw-on insert to tap the sight left or right if it needs to go that way. If you are going to do this procedure be careful if it is a night sight so you do not break the tritium vial. This is not a recommended practice, but I started to do it after a gunsmith charged me $30 to make two adjustments to a Glock rear sight about 12 years ago. The right type of plastic will not mar the finish or sight. I guess now you could mark where you want the sight to go and send the slide to Stimo.

If you put the slide in a padded (protected) vise, you can also use a plast drift punch to move it, I never had to resort to a brass punch. Never hold your sight on better with red Loctite. I can get really ugly getting it off. If you must use something, I found that blue Loctite works.

Last edited by PghJim; 04-20-2012 at 22:21..
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:51   #3
Stimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
Stimo - you are a great guy and I think you should charge a little, unless the work is so sporadic it would not pay to set up a system.

On Glocks, once the rear sight is in the middle, I use a small hammer with a plastic screw-on insert to tap the sight left or right if it needs to go that way. If you are going to do this procedure be careful if it is a night sight so you do not break the tritium vial. This is not a recommended practice, but I started to do it after a gunsmith charged me $30 to make two adjustments to a Glock rear sight about 12 years ago. The right type of plastic will not mar the finish or sight. I guess now you could mark where you want the sight to go and send the slide to Stimo.

If you put the slide in a padded (protected) vise, you can also use a plast drift punch to move it, I never had to resort to a brass punch. Never hold your sight on better with red Loctite. I can get really ugly getting it off. If you must use something, I found that blue Loctite works.
I honestly wouldn't even recommend a brass punch, they still leave brass on the slide that takes FOREVER to get off, and still you can see a faint scuff on my FN from when i had a gunsmith try and adjust my sights on my FN with NO luck and a brass punch. He not only scratched my stock sight, but he left a scuff mark that looked like little pieces of glitter until i finally got it off, but still a dull scuff mark there. I used my sight pusher on it back when i got it and it took 10mins. with no problems at all

As to setting up a system, i only average maybe 1 a week if that, but i have been putting it out there more now on 3 more forums this past week, so i'm sure it'll pick up a bit. As to charging a little, i technically make 5$ per slide when you break it down, but i put that aside for "just incase" i scratch a slide and need to get it repaired. I don't want to be paying out of my own pocket for that, so i do technically get 5$ that i put away in a box. Right now i actually have a bit more for a slide job if needed, so i've got my safety zone. As to making actual money though, i honestly just do this to help out, i prefer it that way because like i said it makes me feel good, and happy that i didn't blow over 120$ on a sight pusher i never use, at least this way it doesn't sit in a drawer, it gets used and makes people happy, i enjoy that.

Also as for marking your slide, when i get to PM's with someone i usually tell them to mark a side and tell me where they think their sights should be and i'll push them there, or if they ask i can center them, etc., whatever you want.

And just for your information, i wrap cardboard all the way around the slide when i do this so there is a protective barrier (at least so far on all the guns i've done have had enough room to wrap cardboard all the way around) AND also use some nice thick grease for extra protection just incase. I clean it all up after obviously but just wanted to let people know that it's not metal on metal , i take extra care when it comes to setting it up to be pushed because that's what is most important, that everything is lined up, straight, and the slide is locked in-place so well it doesn't move a mm.

Last edited by Stimo; 04-21-2012 at 12:53..
Old 04-24-2012, 17:57   #4
Stimo

Just did an XD that came out really nice with Trijicon night sights.. I'll post pics when i get a chance..
Old 04-25-2012, 17:04   #5
Stimo

Here's the picture of the XD40 with Trijicon night sights i installed the other night;

This was actually a local that i met at the gun range, i had my sight pusher with me because i was with my friend adjusting the sights on his new Sig 1911, they were a tiny bit off for him so the guy hit me up and asked if i could install his sights for him. We ended up meeting up later that night at my place, i installed his sights for him while he was here, and everything came out great! Actually is very similar to my XD, i have Trijicon night sights as well with the PRP ultimate match trigger job, he just has the PRP drop-in trigger job, trigger still feels nice but you can definitely tell a difference between the two.

As you can see, no marks on the slide/sights and they're on there perfectly centered. XD sights are actually the hardest stock sights to remove that i've come across, takes the most pressure to push them. Thank god for my gorilla sized sight pusher, if i had one of those small ones that they sell on xd-hs.2000.com and other sights, i'd be locking it in a vice to get enough torque to move the sights, whereas with my pusher since it's so big, you get much more leverage than regular sight pushers. This is why i bought a product designed by a gunsmith, it's always best IMO to buy products designed by people that are in that field, they know what's going to work best and what won't work. This is a newly designed sight pusher and i've only seen one other that was similar to it. With this pusher i've NEVER even come close to not being able to push sights off of a gun, it has so much leverage it makes it very easy compared to other more expensive sight pushers. I've seen pushers that cost $550-650 and i'd much rather have mine, and mine wasn't near those prices.

My pusher is made out of 6061 aluminum that is hard coat anodized and it has all grade 8 screws, the hardest they make. You could literally throw this pusher off a plane and it wouldn't matter Anyways, hope you guys like the pics!! PM me if anyone else needs help with sight installs!
Old 05-01-2012, 15:11   #6
Stimo

I see a lot of you guys buying sights, don't forget i have a shop grade sight pusher that's made to last a lifetime. I've changed out plenty of sights and guarantee my work, so if anybody needs help on this feel free to ask! Don't use a hammer and punch for installing new sights, especially night sights as you can crack a vial of tritium and if you inhale it, you can be poisoned by the radioactive gases in it for up to 11 days! I wouldn't even recommend using a punch and hammer since you can scratch you slide and dent you sights VERY easily. As you can see in the picture of the XD i posted, there's no marks on the sights or slide, it is a great tool and i would send it out but it's just too expensive to be doing that with since it's a gunsmith grade sight pusher.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:17   #7
Stimo

Went over to my buddies today to adjust his friends rear sight on his Glock 22. He has Trijicon night sights installed on it which look very nice! just pushed it ~1/16th of an inch to the left because it was shooting a bit right according to him. I just pushed it where he wanted it so we'll see how on it is after he goes to the range again.

Never have been a fan of the grip angle on Glocks though, they just never worked well for me, but i do have to say they are very reliable guns. They just work for some people and not for others. For me, it's a Springfield XD Compact, LOVE that gun! I have it modded with a 4" custom fitted match barrel and PRP ultimate match trigger job set @ 4lbs., and @ 15yds. i can shoot ~3in. groupings now pretty consistently, and even down to a bit over 2in. occasionally, but i might have 1 or 2 flyers out of 10 rounds that are 1-2in. away for the 2in. grouping.. So it's damn accurate and works well for me, it's the gun that fits my hand/grip the best.

Last edited by Stimo; 05-05-2012 at 02:18..
Old 05-08-2012, 21:14   #8
Stimo

Just adjusted the stock rear sight on my friends new Sig arms 1911. It was shooting a bit right, so i pushed the rear sight ~1/16th to the left and it's basically shooting to POA now, maybe still a HAIR right, but you'd need to do some bench shooting to get it exact, like i have all my firearms. He just wanted them "close enough," because he's going to switch them out to night sights as soon as he gets them so i'm sure i'll be doing that install. I'll try and remember tp take pictures this time so i can post some pics of my work so everyone can see i do a great job and have NEVER (knock on wood) scratched a slide/sights..
Old 05-10-2012, 10:39   #9
Wash-ar15

Ever think about making some copies and selling them?
Wash-ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 14:46   #10
Stimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash-ar15 View Post
Ever think about making some copies and selling them?
Making copies?? I don't understand what you're talking about?
Old 05-14-2012, 19:37   #11
Stimo

Got an email for a chance to guess and win 400 rounds of .223 if u can guess how many is in the glass jar!

http://www.********.com/rifle/bulk-....70193e#contest

Good luck!

Last edited by Stimo; 05-14-2012 at 19:41..
Old 05-19-2012, 23:24   #12
Stimo

Just did another XD today at the range LOL, i went to my local range again today and the gunsmith there uses a brass punch/rubber mallet to remove/install sights, and he said he worked on the stock sights for a half hour, trying to hit the stock sights out to install some Ameriglo night sights. Anyways they know me well there and Paul, the guy there knows about the pusher i have and asked if i had it. Luckily i did, and i pushed the sights off/installed the new sights for them when the gunsmith was going to give the gun back and tell the guy he couldn't remove the sights and didn't want to damage the gun and hit them any harder with just a brass punch. He already left a couple indents in the stock sights from trying to remove them, and didn't want to do any further damage since they weren't budging. Funny thing is after seeing my pusher and showing that it'll work on ALL guns as long as the slide is not thicker than 1 3/16ths of an inch and it'll work just as well on any gun, he wanted to buy one for the shop :lol:.. Unfortunately, the guy that makes them has to have an order of 10 before he'll make a batch. I got lucky and got one out of his first batches which he sold for cheaper to make sure the worked/held up as well as they were designed to and they have worked great, the best designed pusher i've come across!
Well, long story short got the sights on for them and in return got to shoot for free and got a free 50 rounds
Don't forget to PM me if anyone needs help, it's 1 week turn around time from when you send the slide/sights to me, and is the cheapest install using a proper tool while guaranteeing my help, so if i did happen do somehow scratch your slide i would pay for it to be repaired. Knock on wood it hasn't happened yet, but never say never. I'm not so worried about my pusher scratching the slide as i am dropping a slide lol My pusher is the best pusher i've ever seen/used, the slide does not mve when locked down so there's no way to scratch it unless you're careless. I'm not careless, so the only way to really scratch it would be if it accidentally slipped out of my hands when covered in grease/cardboard to protect the slide for being scratched. I use cardboard as well to go the extra mile for protection, even though a nice thick grease is all that is necessary.

Last edited by Stimo; 05-20-2012 at 01:43..