Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-18-2010, 18:11   #21
Messenger
American Made

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
My take on XS Big Dots...

For target sights, my Dawson Precision FO Front, Black Adj Rear, are the best I have. But these are a bit tall for carry, and they're not night sights.

--Ray

I have the same Dawson set up on my G21sf and they are the best sights I have ever experienced.

You should only be allowed to vote if you
are a legal, working, tax paying AMERICAN
Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 20:18   #22
G19aps

[quote=samuse;14571029]I think he meant taller rear sight to raise his POI

Yep, that's right. Out of the box, sigs and glocks shoot right under the front sight for me. OK at the range, but under pressure the shots go even lower like at an IDPA match. Since they didn't make a lower front sight I had to get a taller rear. Thankfully I was able to sell my original rears to a buddy of mine.
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 20:09   #23
thegriz18
Paper Killer

I've been using Big Dot sights on my G23 for over a year now. Best sight I've ever used, hands down. It's fast, accurate, and precise. You have to know how to use them. A lot of people claim that they are hitting high, when they fail to read the directions. After 15 yards, use the top of the dot to aim, not the center. I find it easy to make COM hits at 25 yards with them.

I don't know if I need the Big Dot, because the standard dot isn't small by any means. I have been thinking about getting a standard dot set and trying to see what the difference is. Overall the express style sight on a combat handgun is a great idea. We aren't going to engage targets beyond 25 yards, and that is even a stretch. Most encounters are 7 yards or less. They are accurate sights. See my pics. Those shots were rapid fire too.

Last edited by thegriz18; 02-01-2010 at 22:59..
thegriz18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 21:14   #24
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
This is not true (to my knowledge). I just installed XS Big Dot night sights on my G27. Nowhere in the instructions did it say to remove the set screws. No problems with mine. I like them very much.
I'm with Racer88

Big Dots are the quickest sights to get on target with.
I've hit targets consistantly out to 50 yards with a G19
XS Sight Systems Big Dots, works for me,...................
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 21:40   #25
JoshK
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I'm with Racer88

Big Dots are the quickest sights to get on target with.
I've hit targets consistantly out to 50 yards with a G19
XS Sight Systems Big Dots, works for me,...................
+1

i went with Big Dots on my 23....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Lone Star Glockers #161

JoshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:06   #26
JohnTz

I put the XS big dots on my g23 last month. Have over 700 rounds through them and they are fantastic. Took me 2 boxes of ammo to get used to them but then it just clicked and I am shooting them better than any other sight I have used. I would give them a try. All sights are subjective and only the end user can decide if they work for them. As far as big or small, I don't think it really matters as your mind starts to compensate for where the middle of the dot is anyway.

As far as the other poster. When you install them you DO NOT back out the set screws. They are tough sights and have handled the recoil of the .40 with no issues.
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:19   #27
Kahr_Glockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
This is not true (to my knowledge). I just installed XS Big Dot night sights on my G27. Nowhere in the instructions did it say to remove the set screws. No problems with mine. I like them very much.
Thats wonderful. I guess the XS people lied to me then. As this is what they told me to do after the rear ampule broke. So either they ommited that instruction in the manual or they lied to me. Either way I am done with the product.
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:20   #28
Kahr_Glockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTz View Post
I put the XS big dots on my g23 last month. Have over 700 rounds through them and they are fantastic. Took me 2 boxes of ammo to get used to them but then it just clicked and I am shooting them better than any other sight I have used. I would give them a try. All sights are subjective and only the end user can decide if they work for them. As far as big or small, I don't think it really matters as your mind starts to compensate for where the middle of the dot is anyway.

As far as the other poster. When you install them you DO NOT back out the set screws. They are tough sights and have handled the recoil of the .40 with no issues.

See above post.
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:16   #29
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahr_Glockman View Post
Thats wonderful. I guess the XS people lied to me then. As this is what they told me to do after the rear ampule broke. So either they ommited that instruction in the manual or they lied to me. Either way I am done with the product.

I never removed the set screws after installing Big Dots.
I have only had one problem with a set and that was an install
error on my first set. I called XS, explained what I did, they told
me to install them per the directiosn and they replaced my rear sight
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 15:34   #30
Kahr_Glockman

I am very glad that the sights worked for the people that got them and said they worked.

I posted my experience with the sights and the problems that I had. I really wanted the sights to work and they did for about 1,500 rounds. The concept is great. I just had some issues with the sights functioning.

No one spends $100 bucks on sights and wishes that they not work. They just did not hold up with the initial install or the one that I did to repair them.

Good luck to all and I hope that everyone has continued good experience with XS. Again no complaints with the company itself. I had great service from them.
Quote:
Roering
Old 01-29-2010, 00:56   #31
fsqridah

Something to bear in mind regarding the XS Big Dots is that you can use them without focusing on the front sight. With traditional sized front sights, the general consensus is that you focus on the front sight until it's clear, which causes the target to blur. With the XS Big Dots, you can keep your focus on the target and the dot is big enough that it doesn't blur out to the point of not being able to keep shots on target.

Yeah, you don't back the screws out. They're not supposed to come out (so you don't lose them). You just make sure they're not tightened down when you slide the rear sight in, snug them up (just a little), and use the included loctite. Seriously, it's not that hard. If you can't install them without instructions and without breaking something, you shouldn't be installing sights, period. Let a gunsmith do it.

I think a lot of people who don't like the XS Big Dots (and who have actually used them) focus entirely too much on "bullseye" shooting. While that's fine for target shooting and hunting, it's completely pointless in close range defensive shooting. If you're ever involved in a self defense shootout, there's about a .01% chance you'll be shooting beyond 10 yards, and a 1% chance you'll be shooting behind 5 yards. The Big Dots are for up close and personal encounters that will cause you to ***** your pants, fumble your gun out of its holster, and have trouble getting the sights lined up. When that happens, you want a big, fat front sight that's easy to find and easy to put on the BG's chest. If the front sight can be hidden behind any part of the rear sight, then the front sight is too small or the rear sight is too big. With the XS Big Dots, none of that is an issue.

They're not precision target sights. They're reliable and FAST combat sights. If you have a fighting pistol, equip it with fighting sights.

Last edited by fsqridah; 01-29-2010 at 00:58..
fsqridah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:22   #32
Glock+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsqridah View Post
Something to bear in mind regarding the XS Big Dots is that you can use them without focusing on the front sight. With traditional sized front sights, the general consensus is that you focus on the front sight until it's clear, which causes the target to blur. With the XS Big Dots, you can keep your focus on the target and the dot is big enough that it doesn't blur out to the point of not being able to keep shots on target.

Yeah, you don't back the screws out. They're not supposed to come out (so you don't lose them). You just make sure they're not tightened down when you slide the rear sight in, snug them up (just a little), and use the included loctite. Seriously, it's not that hard. If you can't install them without instructions and without breaking something, you shouldn't be installing sights, period. Let a gunsmith do it.

I think a lot of people who don't like the XS Big Dots (and who have actually used them) focus entirely too much on "bullseye" shooting. While that's fine for target shooting and hunting, it's completely pointless in close range defensive shooting. If you're ever involved in a self defense shootout, there's about a .01% chance you'll be shooting beyond 10 yards, and a 1% chance you'll be shooting behind 5 yards. The Big Dots are for up close and personal encounters that will cause you to ***** your pants, fumble your gun out of its holster, and have trouble getting the sights lined up. When that happens, you want a big, fat front sight that's easy to find and easy to put on the BG's chest. If the front sight can be hidden behind any part of the rear sight, then the front sight is too small or the rear sight is too big. With the XS Big Dots, none of that is an issue.

They're not precision target sights. They're reliable and FAST combat sights. If you have a fighting pistol, equip it with fighting sights.
Well said, and I agree!
Glock+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 13:26   #33
BillR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsqridah View Post
I think a lot of people who don't like the XS Big Dots (and who have actually used them) focus entirely too much on "bullseye" shooting. While that's fine for target shooting and hunting, it's completely pointless in close range defensive shooting. If you're ever involved in a self defense shootout, there's about a .01% chance you'll be shooting beyond 10 yards, and a 1% chance you'll be shooting behind 5 yards.
That's the very reason Big Dots are pointless for many people. (me included!)
At spitting range, sights are pretty irrelevant. I can point shoot much faster and just as accurately (combat accuracy) inside of 5 yards. At ranges/situations where I'll NEED the sights, I want something more precise than a single large dot.
The Ameriglo Pro Operators are a great option for me. The front sight is much more visible for speed shooting, and they're precise enough for longer ranges.
Old 01-29-2010, 18:29   #34
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCROWNII View Post
Hello GT,

I have 2 Glock's that I want to equip with night sights. Both Glock's serve two different purposes so they will need different nights sights. One of them is a Glock 22 for HD, and the other is a Glock 39 for CCW. I am planning on outfitting my G22 with a Surefire X400 and with night sights.

Glock 22:

I dont know wether to get XS Big dot sights or the normal XS sights(ie. not the one with the big dot in the front, just the standard size) I have always liked combat sights or "dotting the i" rather then lining the 3 dots. I hear very good things about the XS sights but I have never seen any pictures of them in the dark. Are they good? I know there are alot of other good night sights out there like trijicon and meprolight. Any suggestions? Remember it is for a HD gun.

Glock 39:

Same thing, I have heard good things about the XS Sights but these make a little more sense to me on my CCW as opposed to my HDW. Any suggestions?
I had the XS Big Dot on the Glock 20. With my old eyes worked as advertised. Remember they are combat sights NOT target sights. They worked real good for combat distances. Great nights sights.
Old 01-29-2010, 23:37   #35
thegriz18
Paper Killer

deleted

Last edited by thegriz18; 06-06-2010 at 13:56..
thegriz18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 00:00   #36
Elmer Fudd

Quote:
Hello GT,

I have 2 Glock's that I want to equip with night sights. Both Glock's serve two different purposes so they will need different nights sights. One of them is a Glock 22 for HD, and the other is a Glock 39 for CCW. I am planning on outfitting my G22 with a Surefire X400 and with night sights.

Glock 22:

I dont know wether to get XS Big dot sights or the normal XS sights(ie. not the one with the big dot in the front, just the standard size) I have always liked combat sights or "dotting the i" rather then lining the 3 dots. I hear very good things about the XS sights but I have never seen any pictures of them in the dark. Are they good? I know there are alot of other good night sights out there like trijicon and meprolight. Any suggestions? Remember it is for a HD gun.

Glock 39:

Same thing, I have heard good things about the XS Sights but these make a little more sense to me on my CCW as opposed to my HDW. Any suggestions?
Why get two different sights? Most of us find it hard enough to get proficient with one platform, with one model of sights. You're trying to make this even harder than it is. How do you figure HD and CCW are that different?

I use the XS 24/7 Express big dots on my CCW. I used to use Trijicon and Meprolight 3 dot and liked them (and still have them on other guns, I'm not spending more cash for sights), but find the Big Dots faster and at least as accurate.

Buy something, get some training, and buy a pile of ammo and practice. The rest is just overthinking for the vast majority of us who are not Delta operators or serious competitive shooters.
Elmer Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 00:04   #37
Elmer Fudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator378 View Post
Remember they are combat sights NOT target sights.
They work fine for Yeager at distance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RU...eature=related
Elmer Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 00:07   #38
thegriz18
Paper Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd View Post
They work fine for Yeager at distance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RU...eature=related
I've been good with them too at distance. The only thing I don't like about them is the change in POI after 12-15 yards. Having to use the top of the dot instead of just putting the dot on the target is a PITA. I have never experienced this with 3 dots.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:17   #39
fsqridah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
That's the very reason Big Dots are pointless for many people. (me included!)
At spitting range, sights are pretty irrelevant. I can point shoot much faster and just as accurately (combat accuracy) inside of 5 yards. At ranges/situations where I'll NEED the sights, I want something more precise than a single large dot.
The Ameriglo Pro Operators are a great option for me. The front sight is much more visible for speed shooting, and they're precise enough for longer ranges.
I can hit soup cans with 100% accuracy from 25 yards with the XS Big Dots. That's accurate enough for me. If it's beyond that range, there's no way I'm taking a shot with any handgun in a fighting situation. I totally see your point though.
fsqridah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13   #40
whiskey rebel1

Quote:
The Ameriglo Operators seem to be a very nice set of night sights. Just what I am looking for. I love how there are no white rings on the rear sights. The front sight just pops out at you from what it looks like in this picture.

Sights, Optics and Lasers

Can anyone show me how they look like on their Glock?
Pic looks great! How does this appear in total darkness or low light? Is the front brighter? I have three handguns I would like to put sights on, XS decided to play games with me so they will get little to none of my business ever again!

whiskey rebel1 is offline   Reply With Quote