Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 18:48   #26
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplified View Post
I have a 229 in .40 S&W. I'm however, not a fan of caliber conversion barrels etc. I like my guns to be one caliber and one only.
Even though the 357SIG barrel for a 229 isn't a "conversion? Other than the barrel, the .40 and 357 models are identical. Hell, SIG doesn't even mark caliber on them except for the barrel hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Maybe, but for me the 229 is a no-go in terms of carryability. I wish it weren't as I love that gun.
My 229 is my go-to carry gun, and it hides just as well as my 32 did, even though I currently use a holster for it I'm not a big fan of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I was a bit put off shooting my first serious duty caliber handgun, my Generation 3 G-32 because of the "stiff" recoil you mention. After I installed a Wolff stainless steel guide rod and Wolff 20# spring the muzzle flip was noticeably reduced.

Not questioning your preferred choice, just mentioning what a tweak did for me.
Part of my problem with the 32 was that the grip size and shape did not work for my hands very well. Taking down the finger nubs helped, but not a lot. The only Glocks that fit my hand well are the 17/23/32 sized ones. The 229 is a different story, though.
Old 05-07-2012, 22:22   #27
Amplified

Quote:
Originally Posted by breacher1 View Post
maybe, but you'd be a tard to carry one for SD. If you missed with your first shot you would have about 6 rds in you or a knife in your sternum from the BG before you got off a second shot.

gunfights are all about rapid accurate gunfire. hand cannons are for hunting bears or saying "everyone look at me" at the range
Trust me, you'd be a tard well before I ever would be and I wasn't advocating carrying a .500 Mag as a CC or OC or any other purpose. I've owned an S&W 500 for 3 years now and the only time I've taken it along with me outside of range trips is when I've been bear hunting a total of two times. I was merely making a joking statement. Lighten up.

The day that you can tell me anything about gunfights is the day that free .50 BMG sniper rifles and free F-22 RAPTOR fighter jets are given out by the Government as 4th of July independence presents to all decent citizens of the US.

Last edited by Amplified; 05-07-2012 at 23:17..
Old 05-07-2012, 22:54   #28
Amplified

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Even though the 357SIG barrel for a 229 isn't a "conversion? Other than the barrel, the .40 and 357 models are identical. Hell, SIG doesn't even mark caliber on them except for the barrel hood.
It is a conversion, no matter how effortless the process may be...

When I purchase a firearm, thoughts of which caliber is most suitable for the specific firearm is one of the determining factors in the final purchasing decision.

An example would be when I chose the G19, there are of course more powerful chamberings offered by Glock but IMHO I believe that Gaston's design is very nearly perfect for the 9mm Luger. I have no reservations about it's durability/reliability whatsoever in that chambering.

Last edited by Amplified; 05-07-2012 at 23:13..
Old 05-07-2012, 22:59   #29
Amplified

For all intents and purposes I am just not a fan of converting calibers.

Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by Amplified; 05-07-2012 at 23:11..
Old 05-07-2012, 23:02   #30
Amplified

To each his or her own. This thread was merely meant to bring some attention to what I believe to be an impressive round.

Have a good night all.

Last edited by Amplified; 05-07-2012 at 23:08..
Old 05-07-2012, 23:11   #31
oldman11

Quote:
The .357 SIG in a sub-compact, does not kick hard to me lol!

I shot my buddy's G29 10mm with full power defensive JHPs, and it's a powderpuff just like all autoloader calibers, with possibly the exception of the .50 AE, but even that is light compared to the .500 and anything .41 mag and above.
I can see that you are impressed with yourself, and that is good because no one else is.
Old 05-07-2012, 23:19   #32
Amplified

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
I can see that you are impressed with yourself, and that is good because no one else is.
I'm certain that your apparent bitterness win's people over famously!

Last edited by Amplified; 05-07-2012 at 23:20..
Old 05-07-2012, 23:22   #33
Amplified

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
Enjoy your evening going around flaming people's threads, that's an accomplishment! Kudos!
Old 05-07-2012, 23:28   #34
BDSBruce

Just ordered a .357 conversion barrel for my G27 and 300 rounds of ammo are on the way. I want to see what this hard kicking is all about.

I love conversion barrels. What other gun can be 4 in 1. 4 in 1 assumes you would get the .22 kit along with the 9mm, .40, and .357.
Old 05-07-2012, 23:28   #35
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Caliber Corner

"At least until the gun battered itself to death!" < I'm sure that you must be a super genius, just like Wile E Coyote!Caliber Corner
I suppose the next thing your going to say is that higher pressure ammo doesn't wear your gun out faster than a lower pressure load. Such as +P versus standard velocity ammo?

(When words aren't enough to describe how stupid some people are.)

Und noch weiß ein anderer typisch es der ganze chauvinistische amerikanische Mann, der denkt, dass er all das weiß.

Believe whatever you want by the way!

Last edited by NEOH212; 05-07-2012 at 23:31..
Old 05-07-2012, 23:34   #36
breacher1

wow!! I've never seen a thread where 6 of the last 7 posts were by the same person. I guess nobody else wants to rap with a tard. and your epic facepalm thing you post in all your threads is getting pretty tired.

flame on all alone. I'm out.

Last edited by breacher1; 05-07-2012 at 23:37..
Old 05-07-2012, 23:36   #37
Amplified

Quote:
wow!! I've never seen a thread where 6 of the last 7 posts were by the same person. I guess nobody else wants to rap with a tard.

flame on all alone. I'm out.
You're a tard and no one does wish to "rap" with you. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Last edited by Amplified; 05-07-2012 at 23:44..
Old 05-07-2012, 23:43   #38
Amplified

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
I suppose the next thing your going to say is that higher pressure ammo doesn't wear your gun out faster than a lower pressure load. Such as +P versus standard velocity ammo?

(When words aren't enough to describe how stupid some people are.)

Und noch weiß ein anderer typisch es der ganze chauvinistische amerikanische Mann, der denkt, dass er all das weiß.

Believe whatever you want by the way!

Caliber Corner

Higher pressure ammo does in fact induce wear faster on gun parts.

It's you're not your btw, here I'll assist you with your 1st grade grammatical lesson for the day. You're is a contraction of you and are and your refers to something in which you possess. Got it? Good! Get it in your head ding dong lol!

Last edited by Amplified; 05-07-2012 at 23:48..
Old 05-07-2012, 23:53   #39
Amplified

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSBruce View Post
Just ordered a .357 conversion barrel for my G27 and 300 rounds of ammo are on the way. I want to see what this hard kicking is all about.

I love conversion barrels. What other gun can be 4 in 1. 4 in 1 assumes you would get the .22 kit along with the 9mm, .40, and .357.

The only difference may be in muzzle flip with the .357 SIG being faster. I honestly do not find either of these two calibers to have any substantial recoil.

There was a woman at the range a few weeks ago shooting a .454 Cassull, she may have weighted all of 130lbs and was handling it like a pro!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:13   #40
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
I've never had the chance to chrono the Double Tap .357 Sig. However, I've tested a bit of their ammo in other calibers. All but one came up short of the advertised velocity.

There is better for the money. I will say, if it actually did get those velocity numbers, then .357 Sig would actually equal the .357 Magnum.

At least until the gun battered itself to death!

Few 357mag loadcs today "equal 357mag" performance in even 6" guns. A 125gr JHO @ 1400fps+ is pretty much what you get in most 4" revolvers. I think most 4" 357sigs are right about there as well w/ most ammo brands, based on my own chrongraph results.
FWIW, I don't feel the 357sig recoils that much, but blast is pretty fierce. Higher vel 40s in the same platform recoil more to me but it is subjective.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-08-2012 at 01:15..
Old 05-08-2012, 09:56   #41
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
My 229 is my go-to carry gun, and it hides just as well as my 32 did, even though I currently use a holster for it I'm not a big fan of.
It's not the size of the 229 that is much of a problem, it's the weight. IIRC the 229 9mm is about 40oz loaded. The G19 is 30. 10 oz makes a big difference to me in terms of comfort.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 05-08-2012 at 09:57..
Old 05-08-2012, 23:11   #42
glock20c10mm

Quote:
The ballistics of this round are quite impressive!

4.5" barrel - 1612fps
4.0" barrel - 1550fps
3.5" barrel - 1494fps

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=124

Did you by chance stumble across the "claimed" ballistics of the 9x25 Dillon as loaded by Double Tap?

If there's any truth to them they make the above ballistics appear anemic by comparison with same weight bullets.

The Glock 29 is the most versatile handgun yet produced.
Old 05-08-2012, 23:55   #43
fredj338

Quote:
maybe, but you'd be a tard to carry one for SD. If you missed with your first shot you would have about 6 rds in you or a knife in your sternum from the BG before you got off a second shot.

gunfights are all about rapid accurate gunfire. hand cannons are for hunting bears or saying "everyone look at me" at the range
Your opinion, probably based on your lack of skill w/ a magnum handgun. Who says you can't have accurate large caliber, magnum, accurate & rapid fire? You connect w/ good bullets from a 44magnum & you won't need 6 hits, not even 5, maybe not more than one. Just because you can't doesn't mean others can't. My only issue w/ anything larger than a N-frame 44mag is size & wt. Certainly not the ability to shoot it fast & accurate. BTWm first shot times w/ a 9mm or 44mag rev would be about the same so????
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-08-2012 at 23:56..
Old 05-09-2012, 01:08   #44
glock20c10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Your opinion, probably based on your lack of skill w/ a magnum handgun. Who says you can't have accurate large caliber, magnum, accurate & rapid fire? You connect w/ good bullets from a 44magnum & you won't need 6 hits, not even 5, maybe not more than one. Just because you can't doesn't mean others can't. My only issue w/ anything larger than a N-frame 44mag is size & wt. Certainly not the ability to shoot it fast & accurate. BTWm first shot times w/ a 9mm or 44mag rev would be about the same so????
Excellent point. First, I was always surprised how quick my follow up shots were with the 44mag revolver I used to have. And yeah, first shot time puts everything on equal ground in terms of the time to get the first shot off in any reasonably sized platform.

Second, true, with proper load selection 44mag will incapacitate adversaries quicker than lesser cartridges therefore requiring less good hits per adversary should there be more than one.

With 9, 40, or 45,...well...I'll just wish you luck with either of them forcing a perp to stop what they were doing before you squeezed one or two off that weren't CNS hits. Luckily much of the time they simply give up either upon them seeing you have a weapon or after being shot, of their own free will.

357SIG seems to have the possibility of being a different story as I've heard about it racking up more one shot stops in it's still relatively short life history than normally seems apparent with 9, 40, or 45.

Of course I carry 10mm with virtually no relevant street credibility to back it up, so what do I know. To each their own.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:40   #45
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock20c10mm View Post
Excellent point. First, I was always surprised how quick my follow up shots were with the 44mag revolver I used to have. And yeah, first shot time puts everything on equal ground in terms of the time to get the first shot off in any reasonably sized platform.
357SIG seems to have the possibility of being a different story as I've heard about it racking up more one shot stops in it's still relatively short life history than normally seems apparent with 9, 40, or 45.

Of course I carry 10mm with virtually no relevant street credibility to back it up, so what do I know. To each their own.
Many will poopoo higher vel impacts. I believe that once an expanding bullet gets to about 1500fps, it starts wounding more like a rifle. THis is only based on my personal exp shooting living things, but higher vel w/ good bullets does seem to produce better results than just poking caliber holes. The trick is getting a good bullet to hold together long enough to reach vitals. Why I am not a big fan of the super light wts in any caliber, they often just come apart too soon.

Last edited by fredj338; 05-09-2012 at 18:26..
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11   #46
glock20c10mm

Quote:
Why I am not a big fan of the super light wts in any caliber, they often just come apart too soon.
With some of the lightest weight for caliber bullets available I am sometimes leery. I don't mind if the bullets come apart as long as they are generally known to reach the vitals the majority of the time.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:02   #47
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
May will poopoo higher vel impacts. I believe that once an expanding bullet gets to about 1500fps, it starts wounding more like a rifle. THis is only based on my personal exp shooting living things, but higher vel w/ good bullets does seem to produce better results than just poking caliber holes. The trick is getting a good bullet to hold together long enough to reach vitals. Why I am not a big fan of the super light wts in any caliber, they often just come apart too soon.

For some handgun bullets I'd even lower that down to 1,300 fps.

This is why I am intrigued with the Barnes SCHP's in handguns driven to über velocities as loaded by Buffalo Bore & Double Tap. I have only seen one bare gel test in a gun rag of the DT 9mm 80 gr. 9mm load and it was VERY impressive!! I'd sure like to see some more scientific testing of this platform.
Old 05-09-2012, 15:23   #48
ABNAK

I have chrono'd DoubleTap's 125gr Sierra 357Sig load out of a Glock 23 with a 4" Storm Lake drop-in barrel. Averaged ~ 1452fps but the extreme spread was like 130fps or thereabouts. IIRC the lowest was 1388 and the highest around 1510 or so (this is from memory but I did post the results here at the time).

Nonetheless, I would use that load without question.

ETA---looked it up and the low was 1388 and the high was 1542 for an extreme spread of 154fps! I was correct about the average velocity though of 1452.

11C2P '83-'87

Last edited by ABNAK; 05-09-2012 at 15:28..
Old 05-09-2012, 16:33   #49
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I have only seen one bare gel test in a gun rag of the DT 9mm 80 gr. 9mm load and it was VERY impressive!!
Do you remember what the penetration was?
Old 05-09-2012, 17:11   #50
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Do you remember what the penetration was?

It was over 12" and opened up great. That I do remember. However, remember it was a BARE ballistic gel test.
Closed Thread

Tags
.357, ammo, pistol, sig, velocity