Old 05-01-2012, 18:41   #21
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

The 10 Ring
Old 05-01-2012, 20:09   #22
Wolf Spyder
Gun Activist

Send a message via AIM to Wolf Spyder
I like this one. The 9mm is the Critical Defense from Hornady and the 10mm is the Gold Dot that I handloaded with 10.2 grains of 800-X, that expanded to 1.20 inches. The top frame of the image uses the same two bullets as the bottom frame. Face up vs face down.

The 10 Ring

"Only large manly men and very dangerous mythical creatures can handle the raw power of the 10mm"
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Wolf Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 21:01   #23
gofastman

Quote:
How fast are those rounds going, in those three calibers?
TOO SLOW!

Quote:
The XTP by design, doesn't expand as aggressively as other bullets. When fired through 4 layers of denim it sometimes doesn't expand much at all. Other times it expands moderately and other times it doesn't expand.

I've mentioned before that the XTP makes a fine hunting bullet. Its intentionally controlled expansion results in great penetration. It is somewhat erratic when fired through denim, in comparison to Gold Dot, Ranger T, or other modern JHPs. That makes it less than ideal in my opinion. Can it expand? Sure. If you are aware of the limitations and choose it anyway, that's fine by me.

that full wadcutter shape they expand into looks like it would be devastating!
to each their own, but those videos re-affirmed my liking for the XTP design, deep penetration and controlled expansion, just like they advertise!

Last edited by gofastman; 05-01-2012 at 21:02..
gofastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 23:24   #24
Ak.Hiker

I would go with the 200 grain XTP's for hunting and any of the other 3 choices for SD. What ever ran best in the gun. For hunting the 200 grain load should give deeper penetration.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:48   #25
Cwlongshot

On the XTP's look at what Hornady claims as operating vel for the bullets...

200G is 1300 fps but the 180 is 1600 fps... Thats a tough bullet to provide expected performance at 1600 fps!!!

I agree the XTP is a better hunting bullet that PP bullet.

I very much like the GD from Speer. I have shot a number of deer with them and they hold together and penetrate adequately.

The ST has been here the longest and has a very good rap sans shedding its Jacket as Andrew mentioned. Defensively in the 10 I run the Silvertip's. But the GDs would and could very well be even a better choice.

I'll use my XTP's for the woods! I am working up loads for my 10 with the 200XTP at top vel/accuracy in a 6" KKM barrel for hunting /trail duty. I will surpass its top rated vel. If that proves a problem I will drop to the tougher 180G...

CW
Old 05-02-2012, 07:04   #26
Jitterbug

After having attempted to load up a viable self defense load for a 2" .38 Special, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with that 158 XTP, finding ANY bullet that will expand at 2" .38 Special velocity is a challenge.

The 147 grain XTP for the .357 Sig is also impressive, I wonder if it's the exact same bullet available for the 9mm, I'll have to check into that some more, looking at the Hornady website I'd have to guess it is in fact the exact same bullet. At short barreled 9mm velocity it may not do as well.

I can't recall the 155 grain 10mm XTP results that have been obtained in some of the backyard testing done in this forum, but it may well be worth looking into as an "available" 10mm bullet for a self defense load on the streets.

One of the most impressive attributes of the Hornady XTP line is it's availability and price point.

Good luck on finding your Gold dots.

To the OP I'd feel pretty good about either the factory Winchester 175 grain Silver Tip or the Underwood 180 grain Gold Dot for your needs. The factory Hornady loads are no doubt good loads but we know they run a bit on the slow side for 10mm.

Last edited by Jitterbug; 05-02-2012 at 07:10..
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:50   #27
swinokur

Quote:
Good luck on finding your Gold dots.Underwood ammo sells 10mm GD's.
you said Underwood has them. What's the problem finding them?

http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx

Last edited by swinokur; 05-02-2012 at 07:51..
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:39   #28
1911ES

Gold Dots... work just fine in my 9mm and .45 .....

But also have Winchester Ranger and Hornady Critical Defense FTX.
1911ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21   #29
Jitterbug

Underwood may have them at the moment, but as a component for the hand loader they can be difficult to find.

Stock up when you can.
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:23   #30
swinokur

gotcha
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:49   #31
gofastman

Quote:
The 147 grain XTP for the .357 Sig is also impressive, I wonder if it's the exact same bullet available for the 9mm, I'll have to check into that some more, looking at the Hornady website I'd have to guess it is in fact the exact same bullet.
I'd wager it is.

Quote:
On the XTP's look at what Hornady claims as operating vel for the bullets...

200G is 1300 fps but the 180 is 1600 fps... Thats a tough bullet to provide expected performance at 1600 fps!!!
http://www.helmuthofmann.de/pdf/horn...ts_handgun.pdf

I see 1200 and 1450, respectively.
Mudrush(RIP), mentioned that according to his testing, the bullets themselves are fully capable of staying together at considerably higher velocity than that chart shows.

what exactly is an XTP-FP?
Old 05-02-2012, 19:45   #32
okietom

My opinion is they are all good bullets. Get the lowest priced one. Or all three and have some fun trying to pick your favorite.
okietom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 22:07   #33
Ak.Hiker

what exactly is an XTP-FP?
They make several XTP bullets that are not hollow points. Two of them are for the 357 Magnum. One is a 125 grain FP and the other is a 158 grain FP. I see for the really big stuff they also make a 500 grain FP for the 500 S&W.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote