Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-30-2012, 20:20   #1
ScottMn

10mm sights and ammo ("woods gun" follow up)

Thanks for all the thoughtfull insights when choosing between 357 and 10mm for a field/woods gun. For me, the 357 is pretty straight forward. It'll shoot just about anything you put in it and putting some kind of "sight" (scope, red dot, holo, etc...) is fairly straight forward.

The 10mm is where I'm treading on unknown ground. I do not reload so I'm pretty much stuck with factory loads. What "hot" factory, hunting ammo reliably feeds in a G20? It sounds like finding the right factory stuff may be a little difficult? A few of ;you mentioned that some of the factory stuff really isn't loaded to it's full potential and could even perform like a glorified 40.

If I wanted an additional sight of some kind, what would you recommend? IIRC, some of the sights required some milling of the slide to accomodate the sight? Would a maker other than Glock lend itself better to some kind of optical sight?

A set up in 10mm has it's advantages. Just as long of a barrel in a shorter package, lighter weight, more rounds, and if it can be a Glock......familiar ground mechanically. I just don't have much experience in setting one up.

Thanks........
ScottMn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 20:39   #2
crnama
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

For factory loaded ammo for the woods check out http://www.underwoodammo.com/ great prices and great ammo. Search in the 10Ring and you will find a bunch of threads about them. They don't lie about the velocities either.
crnama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 20:53   #3
TSAX
USAF Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by crnama View Post
For factory loaded ammo for the woods check out http://www.underwoodammo.com/ great prices and great ammo. Search in the 10Ring and you will find a bunch of threads about them. They don't lie about the velocities either.
, pricing is very good and many people have been happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 20:59   #4
Berto
woo woo

I hear Underwood is great, never tried it. I have tried Buffalo Bore, it also hits advertised numbers like Underwood.

General Firearms Forum

I'm happy with factory sights on my G20. The benefit of the Glock is its size to power ratio, so I wouldn't screw with optics and stick with good irons.

I go between my .357 Sp101 revolver and the G20 for outdoor stuff.
Old 04-30-2012, 21:13   #5
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMn View Post
If I wanted an additional sight of some kind, what would you recommend? IIRC, some of the sights required some milling of the slide to accommodate the sight? Would a maker other than Glock lend itself better to some kind of optical sight?
ScottMn, a 10mm caliber Glock pistol is an excellent platform for an optical sight. Take a look at this relatively recent thread from The 10 Ring forum at Glock Talk to give you some ideas for the possibilities:

Installing a red dot sight on a Glock 20

: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 21:48   #6
ronin.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
I hear Underwood is great, never tried it. I have tried Buffalo Bore, it also hits advertised numbers like Underwood.

General Firearms Forum

I'm happy with factory sights on my G20. The benefit of the Glock is its size to power ratio, so I wouldn't screw with optics and stick with good irons.

I go between my .357 Sp101 revolver and the G20 for outdoor stuff.
Buffalo Bore and irons is what I would choose as well. A woods gun should be light and fast, no optic necessary.
Old 04-30-2012, 22:10   #7
countrygun

Optics are going to really mess with your holster choices and are completely unneccessary of a field gun if you must have "High Viz type irons, go for it but one of my favorite woods guns is a S&W 58 with the fixed sights as issued many years ago. Simple is best on the trail.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 15:57   #8
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Find a SW 610. The best of both worlds.