Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 07:51   #61
Amplified
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P Shooter View Post
Your right, the 45acp with a 230gr round did really bad against advancing forces in early trench warfare
230 grain .45 ACP is so slow, once the round detonates in the chamber, the season's change before the round leaves the muzzle! What a stupid round! 230 grain .45 is for novices, armchair commandos and those that will be the first to get dropped in a gun battle.
Amplified is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55   #62
Amplified
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
Terrible arc trajectory? Are you shooting at people 100 yards away? Any caliber is point of aim at defensive ranges. And if you need to shoot at someone far away, you should be using a rifle.

135-155gr in .40 and 165-200 gr. in .45 are the worst for penetration in those calibers. 165 or 180 gr. in .40 and 200 or 230 gr. in .45 give you better sectional density in either caliber, hence better penetration, without over penetrating with JHPs.

But can you please site your sources for your claims? Or are they opinion based and biased because you are a cop and are issued .40 S&W?

A .45 FMJ will penetrate about 30 or more inches in ballistics gel an have been known to penetrate through and through a deer and certainly through a person, as can any major caliber. And ALL hollow point defensive rounds are designed to penetrate about 12-15 inches, per FBI protocol and Police demands. And the heavier rounds are less likely to deflect and go off course once they encounter an obstacle, like glass, metal or bone. And if you need barrier penetration, you need heavy bullets or fast rounds, like the .357 Sig or 10 mm.

But to claim that the .45 is slow and ineffective is ignorant. You can run 230 gr. rounds at 950 fps or 165 gr. rounds at 1225 fps if you are a velocity junkie. Or you can run 185 gr. rounds at 1150 fps. But oh, I forgot - 1200 fps is slow and .451" hollow points that penetrate to about 15 inches and open up to .80" are not effective.

[url]http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/thebuickotruth.htm[/url]

Check out tests 1, 2 and 3.

Windshield, inside-out: Winner .45.
Windshield, outside-in: Winner .45
Car door: Winner all (a car door isn't stopping anything)

Also, look at the FBI testing and average out the penetration numbers and tell me what you find. Most tests show that the penetration numbers on .40 and .45 are nearly identical. The advantage in the .45 is a larger diameter bullet and a heavier bullet that deflects less.

To be honest, I don't know where you get this crap. Maybe go read some stuff and then come back here and speak intelligently. Sorry, there is just no way to candy coat that.
This is a funny video and shows the pathetic BB gun level penetration of the .45 "Always Can't Penetrate."

Amplified is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:03   #63
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,345
And I've seen tests where the .45 out-penetrated the .40 in these stupid phone book tests. But it's obvious you are here to troll and stir the pot. Have fun with that.

And for your information, most 180 gr. .40 rounds leave the barrel at about 1000 fps. 185 gr. .45 rounds leave the barrel at about 1050-1150 fps. But of course, a smaller, slower, lighter round is bound to be more effective.
WinterWizard is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:10   #64
Amplified
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
And I've seen tests where the .45 out-penetrated the .40 in these stupid phone book tests. But it's obvious you are here to troll and stir the pot. Have fun with that.

And for your information, most 180 gr. .40 rounds leave the barrel at about 1000 fps. 185 gr. .45 rounds leave the barrel at about 1050-1150 fps. But of course, a smaller, slower, lighter round is bound to be more effective.


Fine then, post one of those videos that doesn't exist and btw you've officially won the dolt award for this thread, congratulations!

Last edited by Amplified; 05-01-2012 at 09:12..
Amplified is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:15   #65
Amplified
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
And I've seen tests where the .45 out-penetrated the .40 in these stupid phone book tests. But it's obvious you are here to troll and stir the pot. Have fun with that.

And for your information, most 180 gr. .40 rounds leave the barrel at about 1000 fps. 185 gr. .45 rounds leave the barrel at about 1050-1150 fps. But of course, a smaller, slower, lighter round is bound to be more effective.
I'm well aware of standard as well as +p loading velocities and their respective grain weights.

Last edited by Amplified; 05-01-2012 at 09:29..
Amplified is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:18   #66
Amplified
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 121
.45 ACP

165 gr 1,250 fps
185 gr 1,000 to 1,200 fps
200 gr 1,000 to 1,150 fps
230 gr 800 fps to 1,050 fps

These are approximates and there are of course slower loadings available, especially in that worthless 230 grain weight.

Just for you WinterWhiner. Congratulations!

Last edited by Amplified; 05-01-2012 at 09:20..
Amplified is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:27   #67
Amplified
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 121
The only autoloader pistol calibers that I prefer .45 "Always Can't Penetrate" over are as follows;

.22 LR,MAG,Short
.25 ACP
.32 ACP
.380 ACP/ 9mm Kurtz

Last edited by Amplified; 05-01-2012 at 09:27..
Amplified is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:40   #68
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,794
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplified View Post
I am in Law Enforcement, are you a psychic? .45 ACP, is a lousy round, any way you slice it. Slow, bulbous, has a terrible arc trajectory and has abysmal penetration. Out of the big 3, I'd take them in this order and this grain weight, .40 S&W (135gr - 155gr), 9mm Luger (115gr - 127gr), .45 ACP (165gr - 200gr). Anything else in those three calibers is garbage.
If this were a true statement, then it would be another example of morons hiring morons. You are no LEO, not with your attitutde & lack of general respect for those that know more than you. Good try though. I'll bet you've slain 100s of large animals to prove your point as well huh? Yeah, thought so. Believe what you like, vel alone doesn't kill anything in handguns. Get out of the basement, go shoot something besides wood boards & dry books, just another example of what you don't know about terminal ballistics.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-01-2012 at 09:40..
fredj338 is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:04   #69
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
If this were a true statement, then it would be another example of morons hiring morons. You are no LEO, not with your attitutde & lack of general respect for those that know more than you. Good try though. I'll bet you've slain 100s of large animals to prove your point as well huh? Yeah, thought so. Believe what you like, vel alone doesn't kill anything in handguns. Get out of the basement, go shoot something besides wood boards & dry books, just another example of what you don't know about terminal ballistics.

I think it's obvious he's trolling here.

I believe there was another that had an axe to grind with the .45 acp too before he was banned. Maybe it's the same guy?
OctoberRust is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:10   #70
triggerjerk
Senior Member
 
triggerjerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,221
Just get one of each and stop bickering I say

Sometimes I'm in a .45 (G21) mood. Sometimes I am in a 9mm mood.
Once a decade I'm in a .40 SW mood. I stick with HST in all however.
triggerjerk is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:51   #71
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
I think it's obvious he's trolling here.

I believe there was another that had an axe to grind with the .45 acp too before he was banned. Maybe it's the same guy?
Yep. Just about everything he says is pointless or off the mark. Time to stop feeding the troll.
WinterWizard is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01   #72
M&P Shooter
PA Member
 
M&P Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phila, PA
Posts: 10,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplified View Post
230 grain .45 ACP is so slow, once the round detonates in the chamber, the season's change before the round leaves the muzzle! What a stupid round! 230 grain .45 is for novices, armchair commandos and those that will be the first to get dropped in a gun battle.
I'm 95% sure you are a super troll looking to start battles for your own amusement and 5% think you might really be this stupid and believe what you post. Either way you are kind of amusing in a Gunkid kind of way
__________________
Never run, never surrender, it's never over to it's over!
M&P Shooter is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:05   #73
M&P Shooter
PA Member
 
M&P Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phila, PA
Posts: 10,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplified View Post
I am in Law Enforcement
I have a sneaky suspicion this guy could be Gunkid back once again with another new name. I need to what for some more post and check the Survival forum to see if this guy posted crazy stuff over there. Game on Sir
__________________
Never run, never surrender, it's never over to it's over!

Last edited by M&P Shooter; 05-01-2012 at 11:08..
M&P Shooter is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:11   #74
dkf
Senior Member
 
dkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,577

Last edited by dkf; 05-01-2012 at 11:12..
dkf is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 12:21   #75
Amplified
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P Shooter View Post
I'm 95% sure you are a super troll looking to start battles for your own amusement and 5% think you might really be this stupid and believe what you post. Either way you are kind of amusing in a Gunkid kind of way
Aww! Did I hurt your wittle feelings haha! Still doesn't change the fact that the 230 grain .45 ACP round has abysmal hard barrier penetration, and a trajectory similar to a three pointer at a special ed elementary school Basket Ball game!

Last edited by Amplified; 05-01-2012 at 12:32..
Amplified is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 12:23   #76
Amplified
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
Yep. Just about everything he says is pointless or off the mark. Time to stop feeding the troll.
Where are these mysterious, and delusional videos of .45 ACP penetrating better than 9mm and .40 through phonebooks that you mentioned WinterWhiner ? Are they in La La land, along with .45 ACP 230 grain being an actually decent round?
Amplified is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 12:29   #77
Amplified
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
Terrible arc trajectory? Are you shooting at people 100 yards away? Any caliber is point of aim at defensive ranges. And if you need to shoot at someone far away, you should be using a rifle.

135-155gr in .40 and 165-200 gr. in .45 are the worst for penetration in those calibers. 165 or 180 gr. in .40 and 200 or 230 gr. in .45 give you better sectional density in either caliber, hence better penetration, without over penetrating with JHPs.

But can you please site your sources for your claims? Or are they opinion based and biased because you are a cop and are issued .40 S&W?

A .45 FMJ will penetrate about 30 or more inches in ballistics gel an have been known to penetrate through and through a deer and certainly through a person, as can any major caliber. And ALL hollow point defensive rounds are designed to penetrate about 12-15 inches, per FBI protocol and Police demands. And the heavier rounds are less likely to deflect and go off course once they encounter an obstacle, like glass, metal or bone. And if you need barrier penetration, you need heavy bullets or fast rounds, like the .357 Sig or 10 mm.

But to claim that the .45 is slow and ineffective is ignorant. You can run 230 gr. rounds at 950 fps or 165 gr. rounds at 1225 fps if you are a velocity junkie. Or you can run 185 gr. rounds at 1150 fps. But oh, I forgot - 1200 fps is slow and .451" hollow points that penetrate to about 15 inches and open up to .80" are not effective.

[url]http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/thebuickotruth.htm[/url]

Check out tests 1, 2 and 3.

Windshield, inside-out: Winner .45.
Windshield, outside-in: Winner .45
Car door: Winner all (a car door isn't stopping anything)

Also, look at the FBI testing and average out the penetration numbers and tell me what you find. Most tests show that the penetration numbers on .40 and .45 are nearly identical. The advantage in the .45 is a larger diameter bullet and a heavier bullet that deflects less.

To be honest, I don't know where you get this crap. Maybe go read some stuff and then come back here and speak intelligently. Sorry, there is just no way to candy coat that.
Here you go another one just for you WinterWhiner ! This is too easy!


Last edited by Amplified; 05-01-2012 at 12:30..
Amplified is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 12:36   #78
Amplified
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 121
M&P and WinterWhiner, you two are obviously ballistics novices. I will allow you to continue shooting your subsonic, slingshot, inaccurate, poorly-penetrating rounds, while I enjoy the satisfaction of placing pinpoint accurate shots on target with laser-like precision and superior marksmanship!
Amplified is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 12:48   #79
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplified View Post
M&P and WinterWhiner, you two are obviously ballistics novices. I will allow you to continue shooting your subsonic, slingshot, inaccurate, poorly-penetrating rounds, while I enjoy the satisfaction of placing pinpoint accurate shots on target with laser-like precision and superior marksmanship!
Caliber Corner

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
WinterWizard is offline  

 
  
Closed Thread


Tags
.40 s&w, .45 acp, 9mm
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 560
145 Members
415 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31