Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-29-2012, 23:06   #1
Apetrulis01

Colt "Pro" CRP-18 vs. Stag 3G

I am going to start getting in three gun shooting a lot more. Right now I have a Rock River Lower with a BCM Midlenght upper with a standard A2 front post. This doubles as my duty rifle (Deputy Sheriff) and my three gun rifle. Yet I am limited because I cannot mount a 1-4x on the BCM because the front post is in the way; and I do not like ot have it mounted high to get over the front post.

I was looking at the Stag 3G to replace my rifle. Then I saw that Colt is making a 3 Gun rifle and it looks sweat.

My question is this: Being that the Rifle is going to do double duty (Work/play) would you go with the Stag 3G at 1450 MSRP or go with the Colt Pro at 1999 MRSP.

The Colt has an adjustable gas system to tune your rifle to various loads where the 3G does not.

The rifle with be running an Aimpoint for duty and a 1-4x for 3 gun.

Give me your honest opinion.

Thanks,
Adam

Deputy Sheriff: Duty Gun Glock 22, S&W Magpul Midlength 16" AR, Remington 870, Glock 27, BUG: Ruger LCP
Apetrulis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 23:58   #2
TSAX
USAF Vet

I really like the Stag rifles. For the price Id get the Stag and use the price difference to get a scope/red dot. The Stags 2HT and 8 that i have shot have been great.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeWqVn6VqXM&feature=player_embedded

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:07   #3
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apetrulis01 View Post
I am going to start getting in three gun shooting a lot more. Right now I have a Rock River Lower with a BCM Midlenght upper with a standard A2 front post. This doubles as my duty rifle (Deputy Sheriff) and my three gun rifle. Yet I am limited because I cannot mount a 1-4x on the BCM because the front post is in the way; and I do not like ot have it mounted high to get over the front post.
This makes no sense to me. What, exactly, do you mean when you write "I cannot mount a 1-4x on the BCM because the front post is in the way"?

Do you have an Aimpoint on it now? Why do you think you can't put a different optic on it? Tell us exactly what optic you're talking about using, and why you think you can't put it on your BCM.

And why didn't you post this in the BRF?

Anyways, the real answer is a low profile gas block, and a free-float quad-rail on your existing BCM upper. That is, if you don't decide that mounting an optic on your BCM is fine.

Last edited by M&P15T; 04-30-2012 at 04:28..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:01   #4
Apetrulis01

I am running an Aimpoint on my rifle right now. I have a mount on it so the sights are running in the bottom third of the Aimpoint.

What I am stating is with the scope (1-4x) the front post gets in the way because I do not like to run the scope as high as the Aimpoint.

I am looking to get heavy into three gun and one of those two rifles could fit the bill as a duty/3 gun rifle.

I thought about a low gas block and free floating the forend; but with the cost of doing such I could but that money and the money getting selling my rifle and get the Stag. Obivously more money would have to go towards the Colt.

These guns also come with $250 triggers which again I would have to put towards the BCM when I could just put towards the new gun.

Adam

Deputy Sheriff: Duty Gun Glock 22, S&W Magpul Midlength 16" AR, Remington 870, Glock 27, BUG: Ruger LCP

Last edited by Apetrulis01; 04-30-2012 at 08:03.. Reason: added info
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55   #5
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
I am running an Aimpoint on my rifle right now. I have a mount on it so the sights are running in the bottom third of the Aimpoint.

What I am stating is with the scope (1-4x) the front post gets in the way because I do not like to run the scope as high as the Aimpoint.

I am looking to get heavy into three gun and one of those two rifles could fit the bill as a duty/3 gun rifle.

I thought about a low gas block and free floating the forend; but with the cost of doing such I could but that money and the money getting selling my rifle and get the Stag. Obivously more money would have to go towards the Colt.

These guns also come with $250 triggers which again I would have to put towards the BCM when I could just put towards the new gun.

Adam
1. What "scope" are you talking about?

2. Have you actually tried that scope on your BCM?

3. To trade a BCM for a STAG would be fool hearty.

4. Don't kid yourself...you lose big money selling an AR/upper...big money.
Old 04-30-2012, 14:58   #6
Apetrulis01

1. I have tried to put a Millet DMS 1-4x on the rifle.

2. I understand BCM is a better made rifle. I was trying to combine the two worlds (duty/play) and trying to maybe get another rifle. I was pricing out free floating the handguard ($150), low mount gas block ($50), new flip up front sight ($80), and getting a new trigger ($250). Combine that with selling the rifle and I can get a new rifle with the upgrades and a 1 in 8" twist barrel.

I know people are back and forth on stag. But I noticed the Colt, also I saw the S&W V-Tac II rifle with is only in the $1600 range.

Adam

Old 04-30-2012, 15:28   #7
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
1. I have tried to put a Millet DMS 1-4x on the rifle.

2. I understand BCM is a better made rifle. I was trying to combine the two worlds (duty/play) and trying to maybe get another rifle. I was pricing out free floating the handguard ($150), low mount gas block ($50), new flip up front sight ($80), and getting a new trigger ($250). Combine that with selling the rifle and I can get a new rifle with the upgrades and a 1 in 8" twist barrel.

I know people are back and forth on stag. But I noticed the Colt, also I saw the S&W V-Tac II rifle with is only in the $1600 range.

Adam
So, just to be clear, you HAVE NOT put the Millet DMS to see how it works with the front sight post, right?

Do that first, before you do anything else. You're probably not going to, or just barely, notice the FSB. This comes from the good folks over in the BRF that have done the same thing as you want to do.

Back to your math. You get, say, $800 for your rifle (maybe), then figure in the $530 you figure you're saving on not doing the up-grades to your existing rifle. So, you have about $1330 to go towards either a Colt at around $2k, or a S&W at $1600

So you're dumping another $300-$700 +taxes and fees to get another rifle instead of just making this one exactly as you want it.

Hmmmm...doesn't seem very smart to me, considering that a BCM is a top-notch rifle.
Old 04-30-2012, 15:47   #8
WoodenPlank
Who?

I would agree with using the rifle as is with the optic in a QD mount, or installing a low-profile block and rail system with folding BUIS. No need to buy a whole new rifle when you already have an excellent upper that could be easily adapted.
Old 10-02-2012, 17:11   #9
davsco

everyone missed the obvious answer: every man needs at least 2 AR-15's, so here's your excuse to get another one.

plus even if you put your red dot sight back exactly where you took it off, and ditto for the scope you want to get, always a chance it gets off alignment a little. it's one thing to miss some targets at a 3gun tournament, another to miss the bad guy (or hit the hostage) while on duty.

i too am curious on the colt, just read about it. review said they guarantee 1 moa and the test rifle averaged something like .8 or so.
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 17:29   #10
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

A 1-4x scope is very easily used with a standard FSP.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:59   #11
sirgarreth

I have a 1-4X24 mounted (Meuller Speed Shot) with Burris tact 3/4" rings on my STAG 2T with the FSB. Does not bother at all. For me, I get a good sight.
I love my STAG and would not pay extra for the Colt or the BCM. Mine has been flawless and very accurate. Yes, I dont put 5000rds an hour through it so yeah, I dont put it through hard work, but I am not LE or military. Mine is for fun, but I would not hesitate to take it to any training or competition.
S&W 1911ES, S&W 6906, S&W M&P 9
sirgarreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 18:31   #12
sourdough44

I like Stag too, not sure what you're trying to do. I'd get another complete rifle, or at least a new upper.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 18:52   #13
boomhower

I'd buy a new rifle and keep your current one. It's good to practice with your duty weapons but your on the verge of taking it to far. You don't want your duty gun to be turned into a gaming gun. Your looking at buying a gaming gun and then using to for duty use as well. Just look at the sight for instance. A quality red dot is better for LE use in 99% of the situations you are going to be presented with. The number of situations where you would need any kind of magnification are so minute it's not even funny. But the increased speed and visibility of the red dot can make a difference in the real world over a 1-4 scope.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 19:50   #14
fireman489

I'd buy your Fireman buddy a new Stag & keep the one you got..... Lol
fireman489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 20:50   #15
jbglock

I'm using a Nikon 1-4 x 20 M-223 with the Nikon non adjustable mount.
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Prod...23-1-4x20.html
This is on a Colt LE6920 that still has the front sight post. No problems at all. The front sight post is visible but transparent at the same time enough that I can see through it and never notice it.

I'm not a fan of red dots that take a battery for obvious reasons. Speed wise I feel a scope that is 1x loses nothing. Plus the option of 4x for a more precise 100+ yard shot if needed is still there.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 20:58   #16
WoodenPlank
Who?

...so this thread has been necro'd TWICE now?

Sheesh....