Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:21   #1
BierGut

Caliber for Plains Animals...

I am lucky to be going on a trip to the South African/Botswana border to hunt for Plains animals. (Impala, Wildebeest, etc)

My largest rifle is a 30.06 -- is this a large enough caliber?
Safari Club International

Last edited by BierGut; 09-08-2011 at 09:21..
BierGut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:17   #2
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierGut View Post
I am lucky to be going on a trip to the South African/Botswana border to hunt for Plains animals. (Impala, Wildebeest, etc)

My largest rifle is a 30.06 -- is this a large enough caliber?

The short answer is YES !

I use the 7mm rem mag as my do all gun. 45-70 if it is going to be something more than huge is a greqat selection as well.

Your 30-06 using a good bullet and weight is more than enough for the game you mentioned. Wildebeast being almost equal to a American elk. The '06 is good to go for Canadian/Alaskan Moose and elk, so if you are not going any larger than this, I assure you the '06 with proper choice of bullet selection is enough.

Have fun and good luck !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:29   #3
BierGut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
The short answer is YES !

I use the 7mm rem mag as my do all gun. 45-70 if it is going to be something more than huge is a greqat selection as well.

Your 30-06 using a good bullet and weight is more than enough for the game you mentioned. Wildebeast being almost equal to a American elk. The '06 is good to go for Canadian/Alaskan Moose and elk, so if you are not going any larger than this, I assure you the '06 with proper choice of bullet selection is enough.

Have fun and good luck !

CanyonMan
Great news, thanks!

These are the four trophies were are allowed this trip:
- Black Wildebeest
- Red Hartebeest
- Blesbuck
- Impala

What suggestions might there be for the proper bullet/load?

Old 09-08-2011, 18:51   #4
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierGut View Post
Great news, thanks!

These are the four trophies were are allowed this trip:
- Black Wildebeest
- Red Hartebeest
- Blesbuck
- Impala

What suggestions might there be for the proper bullet/load?

A 150gr bullet minimum and 180gr, will be very good for your trip and this type of game with a good set of optics. I am a han loader, but if you are buying factory ammo look to remington. That is aleays my recommendation for factory ammo. Premier Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded , Remington Premier A-Frame . Look them up and look at the vels and trrajectory from your particular barrel length, and either one will take out the game you've mentioned. There both good. The A frame is for larger game, but the game your taking about is just not that huge. and premier core-lockt ultra bonded, will down a wildabeast as easy as an elk or moose.

To encourage you even more. Plain old wal-mart white box ammo will take the game you've mentioned. Don't run buy it, just saying it will... Do look up these two offerings from Remington. I assure you , you will be fine with them.. No worries amigo !

Have fun, and post some pics when ya get back !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 09-08-2011 at 19:00..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 21:28   #5
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
A 150gr bullet minimum and 180gr, will be very good for your trip and this type of game with a good set of optics. I am a han loader, but if you are buying factory ammo look to remington. That is aleays my recommendation for factory ammo. Premier Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded , Remington Premier A-Frame . Look them up and look at the vels and trrajectory from your particular barrel length, and either one will take out the game you've mentioned. There both good. The A frame is for larger game, but the game your taking about is just not that huge. and premier core-lockt ultra bonded, will down a wildabeast as easy as an elk or moose.

To encourage you even more. Plain old wal-mart white box ammo will take the game you've mentioned. Don't run buy it, just saying it will... Do look up these two offerings from Remington. I assure you , you will be fine with them.. No worries amigo !

Have fun, and post some pics when ya get back !

CanyonMan
ditto

To add you need to look at the plains animal. Alot of these are built similar to a WT deer, lope to elk. So what that works on these animals should work over the pond on the dark continent.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 22:15   #6
Esox357

Yes, check with guide for minimum caliber but the 30.06 is fine. I would go with a good premium bullet say a 180 partition or a Barnes TSX loading.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:14   #7
BierGut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox357 View Post
Yes, check with guide for minimum caliber but the 30.06 is fine. I would go with a good premium bullet say a 180 partition or a Barnes TSX loading.
The guide mentioned .30 or larger in a note. I was just wondering about maybe a .300 win mag vs my .30-06. We are not taking anything large like a Cape so I am not concerned with buying something like a .375. (Plus I'll be saving all of my pennies for the trip anyway)

Funny -- they mentioned Barnes as a choice you can't go wrong with, but I wanted to see what you guys suggested as well. Thanks a bunch!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:37   #8
BillJ

30.06 is a fine plains gun and probably the most popular. As mentioned Barnes TSX is the go to bullet for Africa right now. But there aint nothing wrong in the world with Remington cor lokt.

If you are not waterhloe hunting I recommend practice shooting from sticks standing and kneeling as well as prone with your backpack as a rest.

I took a 308 for my last trip with TSX hand loads, and had no issues with Kudu and Blesbok. It was a wonderful experience, you will have an incredible time. Good luck!
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:45   #9
BierGut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
30.06 is a fine plains gun and probably the most popular. As mentioned Barnes TSX is the go to bullet for Africa right now. But there aint nothing wrong in the world with Remington cor lokt.

If you are not waterhloe hunting I recommend practice shooting from sticks standing and kneeling as well as prone with your backpack as a rest.

I took a 308 for my last trip with TSX hand loads, and had no issues with Kudu and Blesbok. It was a wonderful experience, you will have an incredible time. Good luck!
Great suggestion as we're not waterhole hunting. I am very excited and don't know how I'll wait the six months... practice I guess!

Old 09-09-2011, 14:36   #10
Esox357

I think with the barnes you can step down to a 165 grain in the 06, with the other premiums I would use a 180. Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Swift Scirocco, and a few others could be used. Remember to shoot and keep on shooting until the animal goes down. African game is known to be "tougher" in general and it will save you tracking.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:04   #11
BierGut

Well... it just may have been the best week of our lives and I've never experienced such a game rich environment. We hunted the Limpopo Provence on the SA / Botswana border. The savings account for the next trip is already opened. My wife is more eager to go back than I am...

The 7mm Rem Mag with 160 gr Barnes proved an awesome all around set up. I expended 4 rounds for my three trophies. My friend's 1700 pound (15+ inch) Eland took two rounds and he admits he's a crappy shot.

http://s391.photobucket.com/albums/o...ockton/Africa/

Old 04-17-2012, 07:14   #12
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

30-06 is plenty fine. Load a bunch of 180 grain bullets and go hunting. Any quality bullet will do.

You could stack any medium bore caliber rifle against the other and compare statistics all day long and you won't see a nickles worth of difference between any of them at any reasonable range. Anything from .270 Winchester to 300 RUM and in between and no animal will know the difference. Do your job and the bullet will get it done.

There was an article a few months ago in the American Rifleman about PH Harry Selby's Remington Rifle in 30-06. That gun literally killed hundreds of Plains species.
The .303 has probably taken more plains game than any other cartridge and its not exactly a barn burner.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:33   #13
BierGut

Wow... someone is touchy.

Don't think anyone made any negative comments about the .30-06 that I can tell. Just relaying what was used... jeez.

Old 04-17-2012, 17:41   #14
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

I have never had the urge to go Safari Hunting, or go to the African Continent. I have an '06, I have a 7mm magnum, and I have a .338 win mag. If I were forced to go on such an excusion, I would bring the .338 win mag. When it absolutely, positively has to die. There is no guarantee that the things you are hunting are the only things you will encounter.
Old 04-18-2012, 16:29   #15
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
I have never had the urge to go Safari Hunting, or go to the African Continent. I have an '06, I have a 7mm magnum, and I have a .338 win mag. If I were forced to go on such an excusion, I would bring the .338 win mag. When it absolutely, positively has to die. There is no guarantee that the things you are hunting are the only things you will encounter.

That's why you bring the PH. He's the one that takes care of things like that.

Most guides will tell you they'd rather see a client show up in camp with a 30-06 that a client shoots well and can control to a .338 that he flinches with and jerks the trigger. With most loads the .338 has almost double the recoil energy of a 30-06.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”

Last edited by Big Bird; 04-18-2012 at 16:32..
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote