Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-17-2012, 15:30   #1
Crook214

Need ak help!!

I have a really bad itch to buy an ak and soon. looking for something fairly cheap, As it will not be for defense my ar and pistols will suffice..... But don't want to buy extremely cheap and regret it later. What should I look for? Might try the gun show on the 28th just don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at on the gun to see if it is any good....

Sent from my iPhone 4.....
Crook214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 16:33   #2
zeme05

Amd 65
zeme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 16:36   #3
Jackalo626

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeme05 View Post
Amd 65
This guys knows the answer.
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 18:11   #4
Crook214

That one looks nice but is that better than those cheap aks I see at lgs or gun shows?

Old 04-17-2012, 19:14   #5
OneBigDude

Would that be the Berea show on the 28th?
OneBigDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 19:17   #6
the monk

Take a look at Arsenal, Waffen Werks, and Interarms. All three make excellent rifles. Arsenal makes the closest thing your going to get to a real Russian AK. They often get bashed for their finish (paint) but they are SOLID!

Waffen Werks, and Interarms both use Balgarian parts kits with US receivers. Their rifles are excellent and will be on the cheaper side $600 -$700 because they are parts kits. I would stay away from Romanian rifles if your budget can allow.

I did a resource page over at Fleeting Survival if you would like to research some more. We are trying to put a lot of AK info in one place - http://fleetingsurvival.com/ak-resources/

GT also has a good resource page - http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497434

Certified Glock Armorer
the monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 19:25   #7
adamg01

If you are only going to have one ak and you can afford it, get an sgl21. They make top tier ak's but you have to pay for it.

Last edited by adamg01; 04-18-2012 at 20:10..
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 19:52   #8
Crook214

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBigDude View Post
Would that be the Berea show on the 28th?
Mesquite?

Old 04-17-2012, 19:54   #9
Crook214

Quote:
Originally Posted by the monk View Post
Take a look at Arsenal, Waffen Werks, and Interarms. All three make excellent rifles. Arsenal makes the closest thing your going to get to a real Russian AK. They often get bashed for their finish (paint) but they are SOLID!

Waffen Werks, and Interarms both use Balgarian parts kits with US receivers. Their rifles are excellent and will be on the cheaper side $600 -$700 because they are parts kits. I would stay away from Romanian rifles if your budget can allow.

I did a resource page over at Fleeting Survival if you would like to research some more. We are trying to put a lot of AK info in one place - http://fleetingsurvival.com/ak-resources/

GT also has a good resource page - http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497434
Thanks im gonna check that link out out and look at some arsenal rifles

Old 04-17-2012, 20:14   #10
zeme05

The TGI AMD from Centerfire System cost $439. Let's see what you get. A Hungarian FEG reciever, original chrome lined barrel, matching new or like new parts, folder stock that makes it very compact. Easiest gun to SBR grind off weld unscrew fh and screw original fh on (of course with NFA tax stamp). It is as close toa true military AK on the market today. It will increase in value.
Old 04-17-2012, 20:52   #11
adamg01

Quote:
The TGI AMD from Centerfire System cost $439. Let's see what you get. A Hungarian FEG reciever, original chrome lined barrel, matching new or like new parts, folder stock that makes it very compact. Easiest gun to SBR grind off weld unscrew fh and screw original fh on (of course with NFA tax stamp). It is as close toa true military AK on the market today. It will increase in value.
I would rather have your 63.
Old 04-17-2012, 21:17   #12
never enough

Krebs custom Ak
Old 04-17-2012, 21:27   #13
zeme05

LOL, yes the AKM 63 is a nice one
Old 04-17-2012, 21:33   #14
Jackalo626

Quote:

Not a thing wrong with Romanian AK's. Function, accurate, and affordable for all of the ones I have owned. To each his own though. I know the internet likes to take something and run with it without firsthand knowledge. I am not saying you haven't owned them but a lot of people I come across that say brand x is crap have never owned brand x but heard of a guy who knew a guys brother that had one. PS ArsenalAK's are nice and I agree but the price point is up there.
Old 04-17-2012, 21:42   #15
Crook214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalo626 View Post
Not a thing wrong with Romanian AK's. Function, accurate, and affordable for all of the ones I have owned. To each his own though. I know the internet likes to take something and run with it without firsthand knowledge. I am not saying you haven't owned them but a lot of people I come across that say brand x is crap have never owned brand x but heard of a guy who knew a guys brother that had one. PS ArsenalAK's are nice and I agree but the price point is up there.
How can I find Romanian ak prices?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:16   #16
the monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalo626 View Post
Not dissing the Romanian AK's, just saying if your budget allows.

Certified Glock Armorer

Last edited by the monk; 04-18-2012 at 06:17.. Reason: Spelling
the monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:22   #17
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

I just got a yugo m70 for $400 and couldn't be happier. It is an underfolder, but it is being used as a truck gun so I'm ok with that. IMHO it's one of the better ones in that price range. Has a very solid feel and shoots great. Just my 2 cents

Sorry forgot a pic

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/w...nt=photo-4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

Last edited by SCSU74; 04-18-2012 at 09:37..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:25   #18
adamg01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
I just got a yugo m70 for $400 and couldn't be happier. It is an underfolder, but it is being used as a truck gun so I'm ok with that. IMHO it's one of the better ones in that price range. Has a very solid feel and shoots great. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
That would of been a decent deal about a year ago. That is a great deal now.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50   #19
plouffedaddy

M70 for $400 is an awesome deal; don't expect finding that OP... The AMD is a fine rifle but if you're looking for an AK it may not be the way to go. It's an AK pattern rifle but most people unfamiliar with an AK may not even realize it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a properly inpected WASR if you're looking for a 'cheap' AK IMO. They're great rifles, similarly priced with the AMD, and replacement parts are easier to use because the WASR is more of a classic AK pattern rifle if you will.

Either way, both will certainly get the job done.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:19   #20
Crook214

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
M70 for $400 is an awesome deal; don't expect finding that OP... The AMD is a fine rifle but if you're looking for an AK it may not be the way to go. It's an AK pattern rifle but most people unfamiliar with an AK may not even realize it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a properly inpected WASR if you're looking for a 'cheap' AK IMO. They're great rifles, similarly priced with the AMD, and replacement parts are easier to use because the WASR is more of a classic AK pattern rifle if you will.

Either way, both will certainly get the job done.
Understood I really think its either the amd or the Romanian wasr that is what is at most shows I visit.... And I need to do it before wifey ends up finding out about the used colt I just bought... Then my ak dreams will be crushed for a few more months....where would I go about finding a properly inspected wasr or what should I be looking at when buying?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:51   #21
zeme05

I bought a Yugo M70 5 yrs ago for $349 today they run $500-$700. The same thing will happen to the AMD 65. When the present supply dries up they will go up in price. The WSAR's will still be around they are current production, they will not go up due to collector intrest. I am just saying I've seen it before. I bought my first AMD for $299 delivered today the cheapest place is $439 + $20 shipping.

Last edited by zeme05; 04-18-2012 at 09:55..
Old 04-18-2012, 20:05   #22
Jackalo626

Quote:
Not dissing the Romanian AK's, just saying if your budget allows.
Fair enough. There are better rifles for sure, they just cost accordingly. For shooting a reliable gun that goes bang and doesn't have you take out a loan then it is the typical answer for someone that doesn't eat sleep and breath guns. Especially if the person hasn't shot 15 different AK's then they would never know.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:31   #23
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard

Quote:
The TGI AMD from Centerfire System cost $439...It is as close toa true military AK on the market today...
That's just not true. Saigas, (Arsenal SGL series are the finest of these), are factory new Russian rifles, none of their parts are "like new". They are semi-auto versions of the AK-100 series, which are current issue in the Russian military.

I'm not really a fan of the AMD configuration, but that price does seem pretty good for what you get.

Last edited by post-apocalyptic; 04-19-2012 at 10:33..
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:34   #24
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook214 View Post
Understood I really think its either the amd or the Romanian wasr that is what is at most shows I visit.... And I need to do it before wifey ends up finding out about the used colt I just bought... Then my ak dreams will be crushed for a few more months....where would I go about finding a properly inspected wasr or what should I be looking at when buying?

hendersondefense.com They gurantee their WASRs to be free of the usual problems--canted sights, misaligned receivers, ect.... Also, atlantic firearms does inspect them as well but they don't always have WASRs on their page.
Old 04-19-2012, 16:46   #25
Crook214

^^^^^^
Thanks for the tip.... I'm gonna check out Henderson I've been looking at Atlantic also