GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 15:30   #1
Crook214
Member
 
Crook214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 44
Need ak help!!

I have a really bad itch to buy an ak and soon. looking for something fairly cheap, As it will not be for defense my ar and pistols will suffice..... But don't want to buy extremely cheap and regret it later. What should I look for? Might try the gun show on the 28th just don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at on the gun to see if it is any good....


Sent from my iPhone 4.....
Crook214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 16:33   #2
zeme05
Senior Member
 
zeme05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 633
Amd 65
zeme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 16:36   #3
Jackalo626
Senior Member
 
Jackalo626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeme05 View Post
Amd 65
This guys knows the answer.
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 18:11   #4
Crook214
Member
 
Crook214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 44
That one looks nice but is that better than those cheap aks I see at lgs or gun shows?


Sent from my iPhone 4.....
Crook214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 19:14   #5
OneBigDude
Senior Member
 
OneBigDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 323
Would that be the Berea show on the 28th?
OneBigDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 19:17   #6
the monk
Senior Member
 
the monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 279
Take a look at Arsenal, Waffen Werks, and Interarms. All three make excellent rifles. Arsenal makes the closest thing your going to get to a real Russian AK. They often get bashed for their finish (paint) but they are SOLID!

Waffen Werks, and Interarms both use Balgarian parts kits with US receivers. Their rifles are excellent and will be on the cheaper side $600 -$700 because they are parts kits. I would stay away from Romanian rifles if your budget can allow.

I did a resource page over at Fleeting Survival if you would like to research some more. We are trying to put a lot of AK info in one place - http://fleetingsurvival.com/ak-resources/

GT also has a good resource page - http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497434
__________________
Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose.

Certified Glock Armorer
the monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 19:25   #7
adamg01
Senior Member
 
adamg01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: va
Posts: 3,326
If you are only going to have one ak and you can afford it, get an sgl21. They make top tier ak's but you have to pay for it.

Last edited by adamg01; 04-18-2012 at 20:10..
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 19:52   #8
Crook214
Member
 
Crook214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBigDude View Post
Would that be the Berea show on the 28th?
Mesquite?


Sent from my iPhone 4.....
Crook214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 19:54   #9
Crook214
Member
 
Crook214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by the monk View Post
Take a look at Arsenal, Waffen Werks, and Interarms. All three make excellent rifles. Arsenal makes the closest thing your going to get to a real Russian AK. They often get bashed for their finish (paint) but they are SOLID!

Waffen Werks, and Interarms both use Balgarian parts kits with US receivers. Their rifles are excellent and will be on the cheaper side $600 -$700 because they are parts kits. I would stay away from Romanian rifles if your budget can allow.

I did a resource page over at Fleeting Survival if you would like to research some more. We are trying to put a lot of AK info in one place - http://fleetingsurvival.com/ak-resources/

GT also has a good resource page - http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497434
Thanks im gonna check that link out out and look at some arsenal rifles


Sent from my iPhone 4.....
Crook214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 20:14   #10
zeme05
Senior Member
 
zeme05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 633
The TGI AMD from Centerfire System cost $439. Let's see what you get. A Hungarian FEG reciever, original chrome lined barrel, matching new or like new parts, folder stock that makes it very compact. Easiest gun to SBR grind off weld unscrew fh and screw original fh on (of course with NFA tax stamp). It is as close toa true military AK on the market today. It will increase in value.
zeme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 20:52   #11
adamg01
Senior Member
 
adamg01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: va
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeme05 View Post
The TGI AMD from Centerfire System cost $439. Let's see what you get. A Hungarian FEG reciever, original chrome lined barrel, matching new or like new parts, folder stock that makes it very compact. Easiest gun to SBR grind off weld unscrew fh and screw original fh on (of course with NFA tax stamp). It is as close toa true military AK on the market today. It will increase in value.
I would rather have your 63.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 21:17   #12
never enough
Senior Member
 
never enough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 323
Krebs custom Ak
__________________
g19 rtf gen3
g23 gen 3 homeland defender
never enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 21:27   #13
zeme05
Senior Member
 
zeme05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 633
LOL, yes the AKM 63 is a nice one
zeme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 21:33   #14
Jackalo626
Senior Member
 
Jackalo626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by the monk View Post
Take a look at Arsenal, Waffen Werks, and Interarms. All three make excellent rifles. Arsenal makes the closest thing your going to get to a real Russian AK. They often get bashed for their finish (paint) but they are SOLID!

Waffen Werks, and Interarms both use Balgarian parts kits with US receivers. Their rifles are excellent and will be on the cheaper side $600 -$700 because they are parts kits. I would stay away from Romanian rifles if your budget can allow.

I did a resource page over at Fleeting Survival if you would like to research some more. We are trying to put a lot of AK info in one place - http://fleetingsurvival.com/ak-resources/

GT also has a good resource page - http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497434
Not a thing wrong with Romanian AK's. Function, accurate, and affordable for all of the ones I have owned. To each his own though. I know the internet likes to take something and run with it without firsthand knowledge. I am not saying you haven't owned them but a lot of people I come across that say brand x is crap have never owned brand x but heard of a guy who knew a guys brother that had one. PS ArsenalAK's are nice and I agree but the price point is up there.
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 21:42   #15
Crook214
Member
 
Crook214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalo626 View Post
Not a thing wrong with Romanian AK's. Function, accurate, and affordable for all of the ones I have owned. To each his own though. I know the internet likes to take something and run with it without firsthand knowledge. I am not saying you haven't owned them but a lot of people I come across that say brand x is crap have never owned brand x but heard of a guy who knew a guys brother that had one. PS ArsenalAK's are nice and I agree but the price point is up there.
How can I find Romanian ak prices?



Sent from my iPhone 4.....
Crook214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:16   #16
the monk
Senior Member
 
the monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalo626 View Post
Not a thing wrong with Romanian AK's. Function, accurate, and affordable for all of the ones I have owned. To each his own though. I know the internet likes to take something and run with it without firsthand knowledge. I am not saying you haven't owned them but a lot of people I come across that say brand x is crap have never owned brand x but heard of a guy who knew a guys brother that had one. PS ArsenalAK's are nice and I agree but the price point is up there.
Not dissing the Romanian AK's, just saying if your budget allows.
__________________
Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose.

Certified Glock Armorer

Last edited by the monk; 04-18-2012 at 06:17.. Reason: Spelling
the monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:22   #17
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud
 
SCSU74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Northwoods
Posts: 2,026
I just got a yugo m70 for $400 and couldn't be happier. It is an underfolder, but it is being used as a truck gun so I'm ok with that. IMHO it's one of the better ones in that price range. Has a very solid feel and shoots great. Just my 2 cents

Sorry forgot a pic

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/w...nt=photo-4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
__________________
In Valor There is Hope

Last edited by SCSU74; 04-18-2012 at 09:37..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:25   #18
adamg01
Senior Member
 
adamg01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: va
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
I just got a yugo m70 for $400 and couldn't be happier. It is an underfolder, but it is being used as a truck gun so I'm ok with that. IMHO it's one of the better ones in that price range. Has a very solid feel and shoots great. Just my 2 cents


Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
That would of been a decent deal about a year ago. That is a great deal now.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50   #19
plouffedaddy
Senior Member
 
plouffedaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Carolina
Posts: 2,194
M70 for $400 is an awesome deal; don't expect finding that OP... The AMD is a fine rifle but if you're looking for an AK it may not be the way to go. It's an AK pattern rifle but most people unfamiliar with an AK may not even realize it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a properly inpected WASR if you're looking for a 'cheap' AK IMO. They're great rifles, similarly priced with the AMD, and replacement parts are easier to use because the WASR is more of a classic AK pattern rifle if you will.

Either way, both will certainly get the job done.
__________________
Plouffedaddy's Youtube Channel
Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:19   #20
Crook214
Member
 
Crook214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
M70 for $400 is an awesome deal; don't expect finding that OP... The AMD is a fine rifle but if you're looking for an AK it may not be the way to go. It's an AK pattern rifle but most people unfamiliar with an AK may not even realize it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a properly inpected WASR if you're looking for a 'cheap' AK IMO. They're great rifles, similarly priced with the AMD, and replacement parts are easier to use because the WASR is more of a classic AK pattern rifle if you will.

Either way, both will certainly get the job done.
Understood I really think its either the amd or the Romanian wasr that is what is at most shows I visit.... And I need to do it before wifey ends up finding out about the used colt I just bought... Then my ak dreams will be crushed for a few more months....where would I go about finding a properly inspected wasr or what should I be looking at when buying?




Sent from my iPhone 4.....
Crook214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:51   #21
zeme05
Senior Member
 
zeme05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 633
I bought a Yugo M70 5 yrs ago for $349 today they run $500-$700. The same thing will happen to the AMD 65. When the present supply dries up they will go up in price. The WSAR's will still be around they are current production, they will not go up due to collector intrest. I am just saying I've seen it before. I bought my first AMD for $299 delivered today the cheapest place is $439 + $20 shipping.

Last edited by zeme05; 04-18-2012 at 09:55..
zeme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 20:05   #22
Jackalo626
Senior Member
 
Jackalo626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by the monk View Post
Not dissing the Romanian AK's, just saying if your budget allows.
Fair enough. There are better rifles for sure, they just cost accordingly. For shooting a reliable gun that goes bang and doesn't have you take out a loan then it is the typical answer for someone that doesn't eat sleep and breath guns. Especially if the person hasn't shot 15 different AK's then they would never know.
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:31   #23
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard
 
post-apocalyptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeme05 View Post
The TGI AMD from Centerfire System cost $439...It is as close toa true military AK on the market today...
That's just not true. Saigas, (Arsenal SGL series are the finest of these), are factory new Russian rifles, none of their parts are "like new". They are semi-auto versions of the AK-100 series, which are current issue in the Russian military.

I'm not really a fan of the AMD configuration, but that price does seem pretty good for what you get.
__________________
I'mma make it rain in hell.

Last edited by post-apocalyptic; 04-19-2012 at 10:33..
post-apocalyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:34   #24
plouffedaddy
Senior Member
 
plouffedaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Carolina
Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook214 View Post
Understood I really think its either the amd or the Romanian wasr that is what is at most shows I visit.... And I need to do it before wifey ends up finding out about the used colt I just bought... Then my ak dreams will be crushed for a few more months....where would I go about finding a properly inspected wasr or what should I be looking at when buying?




Sent from my iPhone 4.....
hendersondefense.com They gurantee their WASRs to be free of the usual problems--canted sights, misaligned receivers, ect.... Also, atlantic firearms does inspect them as well but they don't always have WASRs on their page.
__________________
Plouffedaddy's Youtube Channel
Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 16:46   #25
Crook214
Member
 
Crook214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 44
^^^^^^
Thanks for the tip.... I'm gonna check out Henderson I've been looking at Atlantic also


Sent from my iPhone 4.....
Crook214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 17:21.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,181
391 Members
790 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42