Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-14-2012, 19:27   #21
ICARRY2
NRA Life Member

Show your son all the leo's responses to your question.

Im not a leo, but a business degree can be useful in many different fields.
ICARRY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 19:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
Keep in mind that many students who pick a major early, often change it later on to something else that garners their interest.

Skipping college and going into the military is frankly shortsighted. Why settle for $1,491 a month and often mindless work details as an E1, when one can be issuing orders and earning $2,828 a month as a O1? Better quarters, better assignments, better perks, and a better life experience as a leader and manager for any future career. I did five years as an enlisted man and frankly, I wish I had been a commissioned officer. I fail to see how someone got hired without college by an agency that requires a four year degree.

As a parent, you can set whatever fiscal controls you want. Some kids take advice and counsel, others learn the hard way. You know your child best - let him learn the way that works for him.
Good post. You certainly have a point. Different paths for different people. I still think that the benefits of military experience prior to LE con't be discounted; however, you're clearly right about the pay/perk difference between officer and enlisted. Anyway, I should clarify about my agency requiring college because I wasn't very clear and didn't explain. Requirement is 60 credit hours (which now that I think about it it is something different than an actual degree) I obtained the documentation showing credits that we all earn in boot camp, service schools, etc. Then I completed what were basically correspondence courses that had college credits to reach that magic number of 60.

I just don't agree with the notion that a person needs to drop tens of thousands of dollars to a college or university to be successful or happy in life. Of course, some fields need lots and lots of book learnin' but society seems to have been tricked by academia that everyone needs college.
1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:18   #23
BMH
Lifetime Membership

If your kid is the right age then he might be able to qualify for an Explorer Program. Where a law enforcement agency will let him experience work 'behind the scene'. He could talk to several in an agency and learn what their experience and education is like.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:41   #24
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

im in l.e. and im taking college classes right now. an AA/AS in CJ is as far as id take a CJ degree. it really is useless even at the BS level. an AA in CJ is fine if he gets a BS/BA in something else like business mngmt, Am. History, or almost anything.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:38   #25
collim1
Shower Time!

I have a bachelors in CJ/Criminology. It was a dual degree, and is dual useless. The fact that you have a college education is a bonus, doesn't really matter what its in when it comes to getting a fair shake.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:49   #26
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
If I were the nation's Education Czar, I'd get rid of all Criminal Justice programs.
I know. It drives me nuts when the press writes and article about LE practices and they quote some CJ proffessor who never worked the streets. As much as admin pogues telling how things are based on their street time 20+ years ago it drives me even more nuts to hear somebody tell you what best practices are based off them reading books and pontificating in class.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:37   #27
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
I know. It drives me nuts when the press writes and article about LE practices and they quote some CJ proffessor who never worked the streets. As much as admin pogues telling how things are based on their street time 20+ years ago it drives me even more nuts to hear somebody tell you what best practices are based off them reading books and pontificating in class.
Those that can, do and those that can't, teach. The truth of that gets reinforced all the time.

What drives me crazy is that most of the attorneys training police officers in Kentucky are retired cops with law degrees who have never been practicing attorneys - pretty much the same thing. It bothers me because they are (and I was) taught complete nonsense about lawsuits and liability and court. The first time I testified in court was a murder trial and I was the world's most retarded witness, thanks to what I was taught in the academy and the prosecutor's complete failure to prep me. Only the state police and probation & parole officers here, get legal training from people who actually litigate the subject they are teaching about, in court (now if only they got more).

Guess that's off topic.

Last edited by Bren; 04-15-2012 at 05:37..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:55   #28
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

very few are those with credible street time who can also teach as well based on real experiences.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:10   #29
lwt210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
I'm a Single parent and have raised this kid alone.
I have set aside College money for almost ten years. (Actually this is the entire amount of Child support I have collected.) I do not care what he chooses to do as a career, however I do not want to pay for a degree in Crimminal Justice.
A/M
You are wise beyond your years.

I have a degree in Psychology and Criminal Justice. Dual majors...four year bachelor's degree.

All that did for my LE career was delay my retirement by a few years and give me little to fall back on.

I am early 40s and have been in LE since 1996. I have few regrets in life.

The ONE BIG ARSE regret I have is switching majors from Engineering to Criminal Justice to afford me an easy time in college. I was young and didn't want to put forth the effort my Calculus and Chemistry classes called for. Cut in to my "me" time too much.

Oh if I could go back and slap that kid (me) silly.

I make decent cash and live a modest lifestyle with my family. My wife is within a stone's throw of being a RN. We are both really looking forward to that.

Tell him that most of the cops I work with that have CJ degrees go back and get something else while working the job. Some have gone on to JD degrees, some go into finance, some engineering, some business or accounting.

Youth doesn't last. Health, sometimes.....doesn't last. LE is a young man's game and when those young men age, they need to either stay healthy or have a solid plan B.

And a CJ degree is not what I consider a solid plan B. Not by a long shot. Most of our recruiters roll their eyes when a prospect tells them they hold a CJ degree. I know I do.

It's a huge waste. I wish someone had told me back in 89.

Regards.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54   #30
Averageman

I'm hoping he will get a Law Degree and go from there.
I may let him read the posts here and take him down to talk to a couple of local LEO's so he can get an opinion on what worked for them.
Averageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:01   #31
RussP

Great thread!!

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:15   #32
merlynusn

I have a degree in a non-CJ field. But it doesn't really help me if I need to fall back on something else. I agree CJ is a useless degree. It doesn't get you ahead with a department. My backup plan is emergency management, so I have to go back and get a degree in that field (one of those fields where you "need" a degree in it for the most part).

I agree with Cowboy, have him get an AA/AS in CJ and then transfer to a 4 year college and get a BA/BS in something different like business or whatever else he's interested in.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:26   #33
11A

My advice is to let your son chose his path, but talk to him about options and back-up plans. I went to college and earned a degree in engineering. I spent 4 years in the military as an Infantry Officer, and now I am a Police Recruit for a large agency in the Midwest.

I went to school for engineering because I wanted a degree that I could fall back on if I were to ever get hurt and not be able to work in my chosen career path anymore. Hopefully I will never have to use it, but if I can't be a LEO for whatever reason, I still have a way to support my family.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
11A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:51   #34
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Computer science, accounting, and foreign language are good degrees for federal LE. If he is really interested, have him meet with a recruiter. It's never too early.

I would also steer him away from criminal justice unless that is really all he will succeed at in college. Most police agencies provide a tuition reimbursement, so it is better in my opinion to be more diversified and get a broader undergrad degree. If he still wants a CJ degree, his agency will probably cover the costs for him to get his masters while he is on the job. Not enough coppers take advantage of their tuition reimbursement - its free education, might as well do it.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 19:09   #35
trdvet

Nothing wrong with a CJ degree but just be advised that it is very narrow. In all honesty tell your son to become a firefighter and then a fire marshal which around here are both a firefighter and a cop.
Disclaimer: The opinions given DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. By viewing this post you agree to indemnify myself and my employing agency and hold them harmless from all claims and damages.
trdvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:01   #36
Silver_Bullet_00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
I'm a Single parent and have raised this kid alone.
I have set aside College money for almost ten years. (Actually this is the entire amount of Child support I have collected.) I do not care what he chooses to do as a career, however I do not want to pay for a degree in Crimminal Justice.
Now before I get anyones ire up, please let me explain; My Family is pretty evenly split between the Military and Law Enforcement. Before joining I was well on my way to getting my AA in Crimminal Justice. I hold no grudge against LEO's or Military.
I want my Son to get a Degree that will serve him in both Law Enforcement and the Private Sector. I am trying to guide him to Federal rather than local Law Enforcement.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
A/M
Assuming he is 18 and going to college, he is going to do what he is going to do. I would give him advice, or have some LEO's tell him that a good ole Business degree will help you further you career in LE more. A Chief I know got the job over those with criminal justice degrees because he held a Masters in Business. Running a Police Dept is not all that different from running a business. A business degree will qualify you just as much for any job, and it makes you look more versatile in LE. I think for LE a Major in Business with a minor in Criminal Justice or Psychology is the way to go. The business degree will also give him something to fall back on. This advice was given to me in training (a NC BLET instructor) with a masters in criminal justice, going back to get his degree in business. I had a friend with a Bachelors degree in business get a job with a Federal agency a few months after he finished BLET in NC.

The Business degree is best, especially if you want to lead and be in charge as an LEO. A business degree teaches you to manage.

Last edited by Silver_Bullet_00; 04-16-2012 at 11:08..
Silver_Bullet_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:37   #37
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

May I suggest a degree in Public or business administration....

He can stil take CJ classes to fill out his electives.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:42   #38
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
If he really wants a degree, provided it is to help him with a career that it is actually needed for, then get anything but a CJ degree. They are a dime a dozen those who have earned the degree. If he goes for CJ regardless then see what his options are at his school for minoring in something else. For example, in my agency if you want to pursue a specific career track you need to have a degree for some things. Sometimes it is simply a combination of experience and school course credit. Other times you do not need a degree, period. Social sciences that will allow him to set up a shingle somewhere outside of law enforcement is good, otherwise business; engineering; languages; law and pre law; marketing; even theology if you go into a masters at an appropriate school and get experience for being a chaplain. Anything that can be used as a degree to work in something outside of law enforcement can be used to specialized with in law enforcement.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:13   #39
jwhite75
Gubmint Worker

Tell him to major in business or accounting. He will have a worthwhile major, learn organization and if he decide he wants to be more than a police officer like a federal agent, etc, it will make him highly marketable.
Old 04-16-2012, 13:28   #40
Bren
NRA Life Member

Of course, like all college advice, what really counts is getting the degree and a college degree in basket weaving is worth more than being 3 hours short of a degree in engineering.