GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:38   #26
surefire21

You get your normal grip then put your thumb over the backplate of the slide and apply pressure. It prevents the slide from recoiling so you need to manually cycle afterwords but it allows for contact shots.
surefire21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 22:33   #27
MrsUzi4U
Hmmm

I'm thinking that'd be too much for me to be thinking about in a self defense situation. I'm looking for point and shoot. And comfortable carry.
MrsUzi4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:19   #28
surefire21

Practice practice practice. It's just another tool in your toolbox
Old 04-13-2012, 04:40   #29
OMEGA5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveDrabGreen View Post
Hi All! I'm considering purchasing a Glock (first gun) and am wavering between a Baby Glock and a 22 4th Gen (so I can adjust the backstrap). Any suggestions? current users? advisors? Thanks.
Couldn't get my wife to carry an auto until I bought a Gen 2
Glock 19 w/ CT Laser Grip. She shot it, asked me to teach her
to load, rack, unload and make safe and the next thing I
know she was giving me her revolver and my 19 was in
he purse. She carries a purse made to carry a gun. Forget
the brand but we got it from SPG for about $50. Now, it's
hers, end of discussion
Dano
OMEGA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:22   #30
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by surefire21 View Post
You get your normal grip then put your thumb over the backplate of the slide and apply pressure. It prevents the slide from recoiling so you need to manually cycle afterwords but it allows for contact shots.
Contact shots? Who are you and why would you ever recommend something like that? If your thumb lives through that, the gun will likely jam.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:45   #31
alexanderg23

get some GAP floorplates for the mags!

http://www.concealablecontrol.com/

youtube how to take off the org ones or you'll go crazy
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03   #32
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon2004 View Post
My wife is going to get her concealed carry, probably this summer. I was thinking about getting her either a Glock 26 or 27. My question is for the ladies: when you don't have your purse, how do you carry? I have seen the thigh holsters that would work if you are wearing a dress... but what about if you are wearing jeans and a shirt? Thanks!
This thread is getting a little stale, but I'll keep on keeping on...

Like a few other gals on this forum, I don't recommend purse carry. I speak from personal experience when I say they are too easily 'snatched'. Well, I didn't make it easy for my attacker and fought him for it (not that smart), and even chased him in my high heels. But in the end, he got my purse.

Women's pants are woefully lacking in the pocket department so I often carry IWB with a blouse-over. There is no question that a lady will have to dress around the gun - at least to an extent. Because of that, I carry one of the smallest (and still effective) autos - a Kahr PM-9. Conceals better than any Glock, just by virtue of its smaller size.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:14   #33
Scott E White

Alternatives?

Slightly off-topic, but related;
I've been working on a solution to this problem with my wife also. Problem is that she only carries a purse to/from work. Not while at home, shopping, socially, etc. She prefers her little 3" J frame revolver for sessions on paper, but is also competent in the use of the Bodyguard .380.
Potential solution we've been looking at is something called the Flashbang holster, clipped to the front of your bra.
Anyone have any experience or input?

http://www.flashbangholster.com/Flas...r/Welcome.html
Scott E White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 17:47   #34
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Once I realized (and accepted) that my wife was NEVER going to carry in a waist holster I did the next best thing and bought her two, kidney-shaped, under-the-shoulder, 'high security' handbags. Then I taught her how to securely hold onto and use one correctly. True, it's not a perfect solution; but it's still a lot better than the way most of her friends carry their pistols around in handheld pocketbooks.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:02   #35
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA5 View Post
Couldn't get my wife to carry an auto until I bought a Gen 2
Glock 19 w/ CT Laser Grip. She shot it, asked me to teach her
to load, rack, unload and make safe and the next thing I
know she was giving me her revolver and my 19 was in
he purse. She carries a purse made to carry a gun. Forget
the brand but we got it from SPG for about $50. Now, it's
hers, end of discussion
Dano
Iím so sorry for you.

What do you expect when you give anyone a G19 to try though?

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:27   #36
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott E White View Post
Slightly off-topic, but related;
I've been working on a solution to this problem with my wife also. Problem is that she only carries a purse to/from work. Not while at home, shopping, socially, etc. She prefers her little 3" J frame revolver for sessions on paper, but is also competent in the use of the Bodyguard .380.
Potential solution we've been looking at is something called the Flashbang holster, clipped to the front of your bra.
Anyone have any experience or input?

http://www.flashbangholster.com/Flas...r/Welcome.html
Notice the common attributes those ladies in the pictures have. Not every woman is built the same, thus it will not work the same for us all. She would need enough of a bust to separate the shirt from the torso so the firearm remains unnoticed. If she doesnít have enough of a bust, even on a shirt that is not tight at all, youíll still be able to see the outline of a small pistol, more so with a revolver due to the cylinder. Many women who donít have much of a bust wear their bras rather loose, the weight of a pistol or a revolver pulling on the center would require it be worn tight around the body.

Notice the lady on the video, medium to large bust, very small pistol. That is about the only way that kind of holster will work (no clue if it is comfortable). Some women can manage to hide just about anything in their bra, some of us would be lucky to manage to hide a driverís license without it being noticed. As with any form of carry, if that one suits her, sheíll have to practice drawing often.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Old 04-14-2012, 07:46   #37
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Once I realized (and accepted) that my wife was NEVER going to carry in a waist holster I did the next best thing and bought her two, kidney-shaped, under-the-shoulder, 'high security' handbags. Then I taught her how to securely hold onto and use one correctly. True, it's not a perfect solution; but it's still a lot better than the way most of her friends carry their pistols around in handheld pocketbooks.
Itís all about compromise and learning what works for each person. A purse with the shoulder strap worn across the chest, which one decides to not take off regardless of where one is, could be a good compromise. Iíve extended the strap on my fanny pack a couple of times and worn it that way. Iíve been carrying two filled G17 mags, plus a small knife, plus a small flashlight, plus a few other necessities. The weight can get unbearable when worn around the waist for more than 4 hours standing, I had to find an alternate solution that worked.

Outpost Member #69
Old 04-14-2012, 11:58   #38
OMEGA5

"Iím so sorry for you.
What do you expect when you give anyone a G19 to try though? "

Let you in on a secret, she reacted just the way I hoped
she would Been trying for several years to get
her to give up her S&W model 38 Airweight. (Not that I
don't respect the .38. That Airweight was my backup to
my service 45 for years.) I just wanted her to carry
something that was dead reliable and with more fire-
power than a 5 shot 38. She takes care of it herself.
Changes out her mags each week with fresh ones. I've
taught her to break it down and clean it after practice
and reassemble it. She really enjoys the 19 and I
couldn't be happier.
Dano
OMEGA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 13:01   #39
ZO6Vettever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
I'm a man, but my wife is a woman

She doesn't like my G26 because of the stubby grip that you can't get all fingers on. But she likes my G17 gen4. So she's been thinking about a G19 gen4 for herself.

Some say just put an extension on the mag of a G26 to get a better grip, but I don't think that really works to well.
Deerslayer, my tongue is firmly in my cheek.

"I'm a man, but my wife is a woman"
You must be so proud!
My wife (also a woman) carries a G26. Her hands are kind of small but still had no place for her pinky. Put the Glock factory + 2 extensions on both mags and the problem is gone. Two more rounds and it adds very little to the overall size. I'm thinkin' about a G26 for me. I now carry a G30.
Please don't get mad at my jokin' around!

Remember, we're all on the same side!

Army Vet Dec 1965 - Dec 1971
ZO6Vettever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 13:30   #40
surefire21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
Contact shots? Who are you and why would you ever recommend something like that? If your thumb lives through that, the gun will likely jam.
The gun will not cycle 100% of the time. It is ment to stop the fight. If you can't impact push someone off of you and draw and fire from a distance I feel 100% confident that the round will fire and if pressed into the body of someone the gasses will do additional damage. If you have a firm pressure on the backplate the action will fire and there will be no slide recoil. I've done it 15-20 times. I learned this technique at a local police academy all of us recruits were equally suspicious until the range master demonstrated it.
Old 04-14-2012, 13:32   #41
surefire21

If you feel uncomfortable the first time you practice it you can use the palm of your secondary hand to demonstrate the slide will not recoil.
Old 04-14-2012, 17:10   #42
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
Deerslayer, my tongue is firmly in my cheek.

"I'm a man, but my wife is a woman"
You must be so proud!
My wife (also a woman) carries a G26. Her hands are kind of small but still had no place for her pinky. Put the Glock factory + 2 extensions on both mags and the problem is gone. Two more rounds and it adds very little to the overall size. I'm thinkin' about a G26 for me. I now carry a G30.
Please don't get mad at my jokin' around!
Not mad at all. A 26 is a viable choice, with or without a mag extension. Or for some a longer grip of the 19. So many good choices in guns out there
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote