SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2012, 19:06   #26
Spike52

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
Just order one of the belt slide versions from Comp-tac.

General Competition
I'll check them out. Thanks.
Spike52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 19:30   #27
SARDG

Quote:
Just order one of the belt slide versions from Comp-tac.
...or do that.

I use Blade-Tech's DOH (drop and offset) 'cause I'm a girl and I can.

THE most used holster in IDPA (championships) is Comp-Tac, the second most - Blade-Tech. And the THE most used gun... G34. The 2nd most used... G17.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 19:33   #28
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

I've never like Bladetech's products. Of the two I've tried, they were not nearly as smooth releasing the gun as my Comptacs, even with the retention backed out all the way.
waktasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 19:37   #29
SARDG

Quote:
I've never like Bladetech's products. Of the two I've tried, they were not nearly as smooth releasing the gun as my Comptacs, even with the retention backed out all the way.
I love both of mine. Loosened the retention, then took a heat gun to fine-tune them. Works great - just barely holds the gun when upside down... if you don't sneeze.
Old 04-09-2012, 19:47   #30
Spike52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
...I use Blade-Tech's DOH (drop and offset) 'cause I'm a girl and I can...
Quote:
...I am of the bent where I 'use' every rule to my benefit to legally game each competition I participate in...
I see what you mean...

Well then. All's fair in love and war. Captures the very spirit if defensive pistol, don't you think?

Probably the important thing is to get something. ADK might agree, you can get in the water, but you're not swimming till you get in over your head.

It's hard to be patient. I won't be prepared to dive in next Saturday, so it'll be another month. But I can practice until then. And I'm finding it's quite an initial expenditure. I am taking steps to learn reloading and getting my own gear. Even with 9mm, I expect it will pay off in the long run.

We have particular rules for our action bays, so I'll be stuck with standing bench practice. Any pointers on some basics I might work on?

-S

Last edited by Spike52; 04-09-2012 at 20:01..
Old 04-09-2012, 19:53   #31
Fragman

I just started IDPA. Use a G17 that I ended up putting Warren Sevigny sights on. It's just easier for me to see. Everything else is stock.

For holster, I use my old Comp-tac G23 IWB holster that I dremeled away the fold at the bottom off. It also happens to be the one I use for my G26.

Did one BUG match with the G26 and placed 6th out of 24, which was ok for 4th time doing IDPA. Ended up being 2nd most accurate by two points too.

For mag pouches, I did use my Comptac single pouch, but as you sometimes need two extra mags, I picked up a fobus paddle twin pouch off amazon that works fine.

Some other comments/answers to questions in earlier posts based on my limited knowledge.

I believe G19 is not legal for BUG. Has to be 3.8 inch barrel or less for autos. BUG is also Club level only. That said, BUG is just for fun really. At least where I shot it. They didn't really enforce the barrel length rule, there were some 4 inch wheel guns playing.

Also, as far as I am aware, you can't use a 9mm barrel in a G27 for IDPA. Has to be a .40 cal barrel if it is a .40 cal gun. Not that they are gonna check your gun at a local match, but something to be aware of if you want to go to sanctioned matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fragman; 04-09-2012 at 19:56..
Fragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 20:16   #32
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
...Also, as far as I am aware, you can't use a 9mm barrel in a G27 for IDPA. Has to be a .40 cal barrel if it is a .40 cal gun. Not that they are gonna check your gun at a local match, but something to be aware of if you want to go to sanctioned matches.
I think that is correct - a barrel may be replaced, but has to be the same caliber (in sanctioned matches). That's the other thread, I think.
Old 04-09-2012, 20:19   #33
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

You can use the conversion barrel in ESP, just not SSP.
Old 04-09-2012, 20:23   #34
Spike52

Thanks for the input, Frag!

I wasn't sure about the BUG. I do have a couple .380s... And the acronyms are killing me. I know, I know, I really need to read the manual. :o Just so little time and so much... Yeah, yeah, there was a fire, a flood, the dog ate my homework...

My IDPA mentor (a dozen years my senior and accomplished martial artist and handgunner -- I tend to shut my cake hole and listen when he speaks - lol) said to get the BT package with a dual mag pouch. And I need another mag. With 3, I can hit the ground running. I can branch into classes as I accumulate the gear. With any luck (SARDG), soon I'll have a gen1 17 I've got my eye on... That's another discussion. I'm really smitten, but they're proud of the gun... :rolleyes:

Btw, I'm strickly a 9mm guy... Just something about the 9mm/.357 family of cartridges that speaks to me. So no worries about bbls just yet.

-S

Last edited by Spike52; 04-09-2012 at 20:29..
Old 04-09-2012, 20:27   #35
greentriple

I shoot G27 using glock combat holster. And I don't do half bad, I don't do half good either...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
greentriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 20:40   #36
Spike52

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentriple View Post
I shoot G27 using glock combat holster. And I don't do half bad, I don't do half good either...
Lol! GT, a common sentiment I've noticed among shooters, specifically competitive or game shooters, is "Come on out! You might surprise yourself!"

It's a wonderful community to be a part of. We all have the crazy uncle that pees in Aunt Josephine's flowerbed, but as a general rule, we're decent and kindly folk.

Self-deprecating humor aside, I'm sure you hold your own.

-S
Old 04-10-2012, 21:11   #37
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
Also, as far as I am aware, you can't use a 9mm barrel in a G27 for IDPA. Has to be a .40 cal barrel if it is a .40 cal gun. Not that they are gonna check your gun at a local match, but something to be aware of if you want to go to sanctioned matches.
Thanks Fragman. I'm going to try to find another 9mm mag, and go to the match planning to use my 9mm set-up, but will have my .40 barrel, mags and plenty of ammo just in case.

Just happened to have on hand a 250 box of UMC in both calibers.
Luke 22:36 He said to them, ď... if you donít have a Glock, sell your cloak and buy one."

NRA, GSSF, IDPA, NY voter.
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 16:29   #38
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike52 View Post

It's hard to be patient. I won't be prepared to dive in next Saturday, so it'll be another month. But I can practice until then. And I'm finding it's quite an initial expenditure. I am taking steps to learn reloading and getting my own gear. Even with 9mm, I expect it will pay off in the long run.
-S
Spike,

I figured that no matter when I started, I was gonna screw something up anyway, so I might as well go ahead and get it over with.

NOW, I feel like I have a TON of experience ( from just one classifier match) and understand a lot better how to approach the next one.

Take this for what it's worth, but IMHO, we can study it all we want, but will still be newbies the first time we try.
Luke 22:36 He said to them, ď... if you donít have a Glock, sell your cloak and buy one."

Old 04-12-2012, 17:20   #39
Spike52

Copy that, ADK. I need a holster & mag pouch though. That's what I meant by prepaired... A gunny sack and a rope to tie around my waist. Lol... Hey, fellers! Kin I shoot too! :D

How much ammo should I bring along?
-S
Old 04-12-2012, 19:58   #40
SARDG

Quote:
Copy that, ADK. I need a holster & mag pouch though. That's what I meant by prepaired... A gunny sack and a rope to tie around my waist. Lol... Hey, fellers! Kin I shoot too! :D

How much ammo should I bring along?
-S
You can actually use your pockets for the mags in IDPA, though you won't be very speedy, you can get out and shoot... except you need some kind of holster. Not crossdraw or shoulder AND some venues have outlawed Serpa and some other retention holsters. IWB are okay as well. Any standard belt less than 1 3/4" wide will work, but you'll eventually want a real gun belt. The belt must go through belt loops on your pants.

Ammo needs vary. For a practice, I may shoot 100-125 rounds so bring 150+ to a practice and you'll likely go home with plenty left over for the next practice. Or bring what you have or can afford and quit when you run out.

In a match, the MD (Match Director) will usually tell you the minimum round count required to shoot the entire match. Bring more than that.

And you'll need a cover garment for matches which you can (or probably should) wear at practice.
Old 04-12-2012, 20:12   #41
Spike52

Cover garment? What, like a smoking jacket? Been wanting to get a pipe anyways...

That tears it. I'm hitting the IDPA website tonight for a little light reading... Yawn.

-S
Old 04-12-2012, 20:13   #42
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

Quote:
Cover garment? What, like a smoking jacket? Been wanting to get a pipe anyways...

That tears it. I'm hitting the IDPA website tonight for a little light reading... Yawn.

-S
You'd be my hero if you showed up to a match dressed like Hef.
Old 04-12-2012, 20:20   #43
SARDG

Quote:

-S
Quote:
You'd be my hero if you showed up to a match dressed like Hef.
With a 'Playmate' on each arm...
Old 04-12-2012, 20:29   #44
mingaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrag4 View Post
I'm fairly new to IDPA, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. My opinion is that it depends on why you're shooting IDPA. If you're wanting to get better with your carry gun, use the G19. After all, isn't that the spirit of the sport? To compete with the same gear you carry? Would you really carry a G34?

Sometimes I use my G22 for IDPA, mainly because that's the gun I'd grab in the middle of the night. Does the extra recoil hurt my score? Sure, a little, but I don't care. IDPA is fun whether you win or not, and it's good practice with the gear I would use to defend myself and my family.

Just my 0.02
I'm taking my G22 out to a club match this Sat. for that very reason. It is at the front of my bedroom safe and the more comfortable I am with that the better.

Last edited by mingaa; 04-12-2012 at 20:30..
mingaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 21:03   #45
Spike52

Quote:
With a 'Playmate' on each arm...
That's not likely... And I don't think I'd exactly blend in in a smoking jacket and yacht cap...

I'm just going for a minimal non-goofball look. Jeans & t-shirt. Tactical jeans & t-shirt of course.
-S

Last edited by Spike52; 04-12-2012 at 21:05..
Old 04-13-2012, 15:30   #46
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
I'm just going for a minimal non-goofball look. Jeans & t-shirt. Tactical jeans & t-shirt of course.
-S
Just as long as it's "Tactical" and not "Tacky-cal"!

Old 04-13-2012, 18:25   #47
Veedubklown

All the guys in my club wear those silly ass photographer's vests. Pockets galore, so you can stuff a retained mag in any pouch that's available. They're also kinda hefty around the bottom, so they "sweep" well out of the way of your gun, to allow you fast draw, while not grabbing your cover garment. IDPA sells their official one for $60.... I use a dickie shirt, or another button-up shirt with a heavy knit faberic. I can't stand the vests. Just too tacticool for me. Using a T-shirt for concealment, sucks. The stretch of the fabric will always cling to your gun, and hand. 3/5 draws I grabbed my shirt. Once my shirt was completely around the gun, and I ripped the shirt through my hand like a magician with a table cloth. Nearly dropped my gun. Always use something you can "sweep" out of the way for cover.

I also use my EDC CCW tuckable IWB holster, for IDPA. It fits both my ESP and BUG guns.

Last edited by Veedubklown; 04-13-2012 at 18:27..
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 21:33   #48
Fragman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post
All the guys in my club wear those silly ass photographer's vests. Pockets galore, so you can stuff a retained mag in any pouch that's available. They're also kinda hefty around the bottom, so they "sweep" well out of the way of your gun, to allow you fast draw, while not grabbing your cover garment. IDPA sells their official one for $60.... I use a dickie shirt, or another button-up shirt with a heavy knit faberic. I can't stand the vests. Just too tacticool for me. Using a T-shirt for concealment, sucks. The stretch of the fabric will always cling to your gun, and hand. 3/5 draws I grabbed my shirt. Once my shirt was completely around the gun, and I ripped the shirt through my hand like a magician with a table cloth. Nearly dropped my gun. Always use something you can "sweep" out of the way for cover.

I also use my EDC CCW tuckable IWB holster, for IDPA. It fits both my ESP and BUG guns.
Hawaiian shirt for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 21:53   #49
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

I wore an unbuttoned baseball jersey once.

I wanted my corny vest back afterwards.
Old 04-16-2012, 19:50   #50
PROBIKE101

i like idpa it keeps me and my pistol very friendly,not such a bad thing in todays climate.and i really had no defensive skiils till i started idpa,i feel more ready to carry a fire arm than i have ever bin.due to idba i feel very safe handling fire arms now and
better understanding of the responsibilty involved with weapons.
PROBIKE101 is offline   Reply With Quote