Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-10-2012, 21:49   #1
firerescue1231

dare to be safe WTF

I just took the new dare to be safe online class and I have a few things I disagree with for one the questions seem geared more for company level officers than firefighters two all the mandates I come from a small volunteer dept in East TX in one of the poorest county's in the state we do not have the money or the vast amount of people willing to volunteer to put physical restrictions on applicants to me this seems geared more for paid dept's what do you guys think
firerescue1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:53   #2
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

I usually don't post like this but please use some punctuation. While I haven't taken the course, I've only heard good things about it. So I can't comment about it other than that. I know all about being in a very poor department. Also I can't think of a single volunteer department that is turning people away. While I agree that people who are not in shape shouldn't be put in a physical job right away until they get in some shape, nor should they be rejected from the beginning. We have people on our department that are not in their prime or best of shape but we find jobs for them to do on scene. They might become an engineer or help in the rehab sector or something but they have a job to do.

So in a way physical restrictions can be for all firefighters, not just paid departments. It just depends on the department on finding a way to make it work for them.
Old 04-11-2012, 13:43   #3
firerescue1231

don't get me wrong I am all about safety and we have members that all they do is drive but what I take away from the class is not that I encourage everyone to take a look at it I will try to post the link it is open to everyone and I think as of 2015 it is going to be a mandatory class for all commissioned firefighters in TX
firerescue1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:11   #4
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I can't make sense of your gigantic run-on sentence.
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20   #5
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescue1231 View Post
I just took the new dare to be safe online class and I have a few things I disagree with for one the questions seem geared more for company level officers than firefighters two all the mandates I come from a small volunteer dept in East TX in one of the poorest county's in the state we do not have the money or the vast amount of people willing to volunteer to put physical restrictions on applicants to me this seems geared more for paid dept's what do you guys think
ithinkonlineclassesareawasteoftimeandmoneyifyoupaidforitnowthatithinkaboutitespeciallyifyoupayforitw hatareyoureallygetting
Old 05-01-2012, 21:02   #6
Motown Fire
Everett

I have been a professional fireman and a volunteer fireman for the majority of my adult life. It doesn't matter what side you're on, this job is one of the most physically demanding & dangerous on the planet at times.

Our safety and health is the number one priority. If that means placing physical ability restrictions on applicants, so be it.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01   #7
glockaviator

It's great to own a home with all the fire safety we have now, rarely does a house burn down. However, we've had a rash of fires that were started by firemen, with a contolled burn getting out of hand, a fireman who left a fire unattended and a firefighter that started a fire so she could put it out and be hero. Volunteer fire departments seem to attract people that LIKE fire. It is exciting. I put a neighbors propane grill fire out with my hose and nozzle (putting it out just as the truck arrived). It was cool. And then there are the stories of mandatory evacuations and axing the doors. And there is ALWAYS a story about the horses (this is mostly with fires in the forested mountains). Anyway....stay safe out there.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:47   #8
nyycanseco33
Da Fk'n Man

Send a message via AIM to nyycanseco33 Send a message via Yahoo to nyycanseco33 Send a message via Skype™ to nyycanseco33
Been a firefighter/emt for 11 years and I'm gonna say if there are no restrictions then it's a liability that weighs heavy on the shoulders of the department leaders and it's members if someone gets hurt, it all flows downhill... OSHA and NFPA would have a field day if you sent a man, who has limitations, inside and something were to happen that gets the subject or partner hurt but a fully capable member without limitations could avoid the situation... I guarantee the station would be shut down and a wrongful injury or death lawsuit would crush the membership... It's just not something you should chance, I understand you want membership numbers but at what point do you sacrifice the safety and confidence for just convenience instead?... The answer is, Never!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by nyycanseco33; 05-10-2012 at 04:49..
nyycanseco33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 15:09   #9
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Send a message via AIM to DScottHewitt Send a message via Yahoo to DScottHewitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescue1231 View Post
Link to class?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DScottHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote