GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 21:38   #26
samuse
Senior Member
 
samuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South TX
Posts: 5,162
Blog Entries: 2
X300 @ 12:00 works best for me.
__________________
"If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin', you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick." -Clint Smith


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 21:59   #27
steve1911
Senior Member
 
steve1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: oregon
Posts: 2,565
3:00 for me.



1911club#410
__________________
html
steve1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:09   #28
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05
 
TangoFoxtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Nowhereville, USA
Posts: 4,033
Blog Entries: 2
My TRL-1 is mounted at the 3 o'clock position. If I had a mid or full lenght I would mount it at the 6 o'clock position.
__________________
G21 Club: 0685 -Tact. SG 7048
S/P Club: 109 - .40 Club: 0255
Black Rifle-SWMP15S1647
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:34   #29
ancient_serpent
Senior Member
 
ancient_serpent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,710
1:30 for me. Works well, keeps it out of the way when I don't want it, close enough to activate with a finger if I need it.
__________________
"The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions."
-Daniel Webster
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:13   #30
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular
 
LA_357SIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Not Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,224
I have grow to like the VFG/4:30 combo. I am not a thumb over bore style shooter and having the VFG up front puts support hand thumb in a good position to toggle a tail cap button.
Black Rifle Forum

Since I'm dumping the quad rail, my next purchase will be the IWC MOE light mount @ 10:30.
__________________
"If I was you I would keep it just like it is... and shoot the **** out of it until something breaks. Then replace whatever it is and keep shooting."
LA_357SIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:15   #31
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular
 
LA_357SIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Not Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
My TRL-1 is mounted at the 3 o'clock position. If I had a mid or full lenght I would mount it at the 6 o'clock position.
Have you tried an A-frame rail? When I had a carbine, I had a TRL-1 mounted to the FSB and it worked out well.
__________________
"If I was you I would keep it just like it is... and shoot the **** out of it until something breaks. Then replace whatever it is and keep shooting."
LA_357SIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:25   #32
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
I have grow to like the VFG/4:30 combo. I am not a thumb over bore style shooter and having the VFG up front puts support hand thumb in a good position to toggle a tail cap button.
Black Rifle Forum

Since I'm dumping the quad rail, my next purchase will be the IWC MOE light mount @ 10:30.
Why are you ditching the quad rail?
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:28   #33
nastytrigger
Mediocre Member
 
nastytrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,355
3 o'clock on my 10.5" LMT upper, Bushy lower. It's a Surefire G2 in a Vltor mount. No pressure switch.

I'm a lefty, and I've found that to be the best setup.

I don't have a current pic. I still only have a pic of when my Bushy was the Patrolman model. Even before putting on rails and Aimpoint.
__________________
Chess = Best game ever!
nastytrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:04   #34
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular
 
LA_357SIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Not Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Why are you ditching the quad rail?
My needs outweigh my wants. I have no need for a quad rail.
__________________
"If I was you I would keep it just like it is... and shoot the **** out of it until something breaks. Then replace whatever it is and keep shooting."
LA_357SIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 21:06   #35
pgg00
Senior Member
 
pgg00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fled the emerald triangle
Posts: 2,502
3 o clock with a pressure switch mounted on the VFG
__________________
www.officerresource.com

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 21:16   #36
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 31,985
I use a Streamlight TLR-1 at 9 o'clock. Anyone else run a "pistol" light on a carbine?
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 21:57   #37
toddmog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I use a Streamlight TLR-1 at 9 o'clock. Anyone else run a "pistol" light on a carbine?
I have plans to do just that. Right now I'm using an old G2 in an offset mount. I love the TLR-1s on my G17...though I disabled the strobe feature immediately.
toddmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 22:19   #38
Hour13
Tah-dah!
 
Hour13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
My needs outweigh my wants. I have no need for a quad rail.
Kinda the same boat here. I've made the move away from quad-rails to MOE handguards, especially on my mid-lengths. For my uses, I have no need for a top rail on the forearm, and only part of the rail on the sides. The only full rail I make use of is the bottom. So why am I going to haul the extra weight of a quad-rail around?

MOE guards, and add the rails only where I need them. Comfortable, lightweight, and effective, even if they don't look as cool, lol.
__________________
"I'll have a Coke..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 22:25   #39
Hour13
Tah-dah!
 
Hour13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,116
Oh, and OP...

10:30 support side, I use an AFG, so that's perfect for quick activation.
__________________
"I'll have a Coke..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:47   #40
JBarbaresi
Senior Member
 
JBarbaresi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: GOODE, VA
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I use a Streamlight TLR-1 at 9 o'clock. Anyone else run a "pistol" light on a carbine?
not personally but this seems to be a growing trend especially with the "cutout" rails that extend beyond the front sight. if it works it works, my TLR-1 and the X300s are every bit as bright as my Scout M300A "rifle" light.
JBarbaresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:24   #41
K. Foster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mo.
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I use a Streamlight TLR-1 at 9 o'clock. Anyone else run a "pistol" light on a carbine?
Iíve used that exact set up with good results. I like the compactness of pistol lights.
__________________
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional trains until he can't get it wrong.
K. Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:33   #42
fuzzy03cls
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,744
X300 on the rail at 9'oclock

Another AR has a upgraded led Surefire G2 using a top rail bracket that puts the light at 10'oclock.

Last edited by fuzzy03cls; 04-10-2012 at 11:35..
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 19:21   #43
samuse
Senior Member
 
samuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South TX
Posts: 5,162
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
Kinda the same boat here. I've made the move away from quad-rails to MOE handguards, especially on my mid-lengths. For my uses, I have no need for a top rail on the forearm, and only part of the rail on the sides. The only full rail I make use of is the bottom. So why am I going to haul the extra weight of a quad-rail around?

MOE guards, and add the rails only where I need them. Comfortable, lightweight, and effective, even if they don't look as cool, lol.
You might want to get a scale or read Rob_s's chart on handguards.

Those MOE handguards with a rail section and the barrel nut usually outweigh a good freefloat rail.

But downgrading and jerry-rigging lights and slings to a plastic handguard is in style these days.
__________________
"If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin', you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick." -Clint Smith


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 20:02   #44
Hour13
Tah-dah!
 
Hour13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
You might want to get a scale or read Rob_s's chart on handguards.

Those MOE handguards with a rail section and the barrel nut usually outweigh a good freefloat rail.
Definitely not arguing that, Troy FFs are absolute featherweights. But again, it's more than just weight. For me, the MOE guards are very comfortable, the 3-sided shape feels very natural for my grip. I've played around with free float & drop-in rails, and the MOE guards are simply what I prefer.

And to anybody considering these for cost reasons, don't get too excited. By the time you add the guards & the rails sections, etc... you're only $20 away from the MI drop-in rails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
But downgrading and jerry-rigging lights and slings to a plastic handguard is in style these days.
Well golly mister, I'll just throw out those crappy handguards then, lol.
__________________
"I'll have a Coke..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 21:30   #45
smokin762
Senior Member
 
smokin762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
Definitely not arguing that, Troy FFs are absolute featherweights. But again, it's more than just weight. For me, the MOE guards are very comfortable, the 3-sided shape feels very natural for my grip. I've played around with free float & drop-in rails, and the MOE guards are simply what I prefer.

And to anybody considering these for cost reasons, don't get too excited. By the time you add the guards & the rails sections, etc... you're only $20 away from the MI drop-in rails.


Well golly mister, I'll just throw out those crappy handguards then, lol.

I prefer the Moe Handguards also. They feel comfortable andI want lighter not heavier. I have no plans on going to the Mall and looking my best on Ninja Day.
__________________
NRA Life Member
CCW License Holder
My goal is to survive. Whatever the problem might be.

Last edited by smokin762; 04-10-2012 at 21:31..
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 21:55   #46
Hour13
Tah-dah!
 
Hour13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin762 View Post
I prefer the Moe Handguards also. They feel comfortable andI want lighter not heavier. I have no plans on going to the Mall and looking my best on Ninja Day.
Awesome.

I'm not ragging on rail systems in general, but I do feel that some people get far too wrapped up in the add-on gear. I was at the range a while back, and in the bay next to me was a guy with a PlumCrazy/R-Guns AR, with a DanielDefense rail!

Reminded me of rolling through the less than great parts of town. Seeing the primered early '80s Monte Carlos sitting on $2,000 worth of rims...
__________________
"I'll have a Coke..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 22:53   #47
smokin762
Senior Member
 
smokin762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
Awesome.

I'm not ragging on rail systems in general, but I do feel that some people get far too wrapped up in the add-on gear. I was at the range a while back, and in the bay next to me was a guy with a PlumCrazy/R-Guns AR, with a DanielDefense rail!

Reminded me of rolling through the less than great parts of town. Seeing the primered early '80s Monte Carlos sitting on $2,000 worth of rims...
I am cool with free float barrels on hunting and target rifles. It serves a real purpose.

But these Swiss Army Knife rifles look silly and just weight too much. Keep It Simple.
__________________
NRA Life Member
CCW License Holder
My goal is to survive. Whatever the problem might be.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 23:19   #48
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 31,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin762 View Post
I am cool with free float barrels on hunting and target rifles. It serves a real purpose.

But these Swiss Army Knife rifles look silly and just weight too much. Keep It Simple.

My AR10 came from Armalite with a free-float rail, should I send it back?
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 23:21   #49
Hour13
Tah-dah!
 
Hour13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
My AR10 came from Armalite with a free-float rail, should I send it back?


Oh ya, definitely!

Or you can just mail it to me...
__________________
"I'll have a Coke..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 23:23   #50
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 31,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post


Oh ya, definitely!

Or you can just mail it to me...


I have the MagPul handguards on a Spikes upper I have. Love 'em!


Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 04-10-2012 at 23:24..
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 22:07.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,191
342 Members
849 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42