Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2012, 14:17   #1
flw

Military dependence on civilians for almost everything

I heard on NPR last week that the US Army has gone to the Mormons to see how they store food stuffs. The NPR reporter didn't give specifics on what the Army was looking at in more detail. The Mormons or US civilians or foreign lands-peoples or for the civilian Army or active duty itself.

Most poeple I meet, don't understand or know that without civilians working on behalf of the military, it would cease to bring the hammer any time, any place, after a very short time. I wonder if the Military has any plans to support the civilians it relys on for almost everything except the dying. We should appreciate these military civilians much more.

Opinions?
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 14:22   #2
Glock!9

Send a message via AIM to Glock!9
I think they could have just watched Preppers....
Old 04-06-2012, 14:23   #3
acorn42047

Your full of ****.
acorn42047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 14:25   #4
cyrsequipment
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
I heard on NPR last week that the US Army has gone to the Mormons to see how they store food stuffs. The NPR reporter didn't give specifics on what the Army was looking at in more detail. The Mormons or US civilians or foreign lands-peoples or for the civilian Army or active duty itself.

Most poeple I meet, don't understand or know that without civilians working on behalf of the military, it would cease to bring the hammer any time, any place, after a very short time. I wonder if the Military has any plans to support the civilians it relys on for almost everything except the dying. We should appreciate these military civilians much more.

Opinions?
Um, forgive my bluntness, but what the heck are you talking about and what does this have to do with Survival and Preparedness????
Old 04-06-2012, 14:47   #5
oneofthose

"I heard on NPR..." was all the farther I could get. I rarely find valuable insight in their reporting.
Old 04-06-2012, 15:49   #6
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

You might be suprised.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:50   #7
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:

Opinions?
When I started my tour in the middleeast in 04 I was at CENTCOM for the first 3 months. All the food services and security around the perimeter was done by civilians..Yes perimeter security done by civilians.

Last edited by TangoFoxtrot; 04-09-2012 at 04:52..
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:00   #8
expatman

Yes we civilians still do perimeter security for the mil. We even do it for DoS and embassies. It has been going on for a long time. Many govt. agencies also contract out mobile security to civilian contractors....FYI
Old 04-09-2012, 07:20   #9
hammerkill

In a SHTF scenario the military would be overwhelmed. I remember a truckers strike in the early 70's. No trucks on the road after some nut shot a few. It wouldn't too many guys to throw a monkey wrench into the deal and that's what scares me.
hammerkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:11   #10
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
We should appreciate these military civilians much more.

Opinions?
Yeah, I was in the Army when we relied on civilians for almost nothing and in the new Army with civilians doing everything. The old one was a LOT better.

Maybe if the civilians would learn to cook and clean like soldiers did, instead of getting by with the minimum expense and effort at avery turn, they'd get more appreciation. It's hard to believe how much lower the quality of the services we get from civilian employees is, in most cases, compared to when it used to be all soldiers.

Last edited by Bren; 04-09-2012 at 08:13..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:14   #11
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
When I started my tour in the middleeast in 04 I was at CENTCOM for the first 3 months. All the food services and security around the perimeter was done by civilians..Yes perimeter security done by civilians.
Interesting - I've never seen that, even outside the war zone, like in Kyrgyzstan or Kuwait.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:22   #12
sebecman

Quote:
I wonder if the Military has any plans to support the civilians it relys on for almost everything except the dying
WTF are you talking about here?? As a US citizen I am proud to support the military that protects me and as you say, does the dying.

What exactly do you think they owe us????

sebecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:23   #13
beatcop

I kind of doubt that the "Army" did anything of the sort. More than likely a few guys, or a company CO thought it would be a cool idea to upgrade the food prep in some dump on a mountain top. The Army has TM's, FM's TB's etc written on everything too include how to take a dump in a cat hole.

As far as base security, yes, civilian contractors handle a lot of it. CSA, Foreign Nationals, etc. Still had MP oversight, but they sat in the towers and manned the ECP's of large bases.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:28   #14
OldArcher
Gospel Carrier

Uh-huh...

Quote:

Opinions?
There's a reason they're called, "Citizen Soldiers..."

OA, out...
"Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.
OldArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 17:03   #15
RichardB
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Yeah, I was in the Army when we relied on civilians for almost nothing and in the new Army with civilians doing everything. The old one was a LOT better.

Maybe if the civilians would learn to cook and clean like soldiers did, instead of getting by with the minimum expense and effort at avery turn, they'd get more appreciation. It's hard to believe how much lower the quality of the services we get from civilian employees is, in most cases, compared to when it used to be all soldiers.
The old draftee army was inexpensive and there was an unlimited supply of smart cheap labor that rotated through in 2 years. Come the Volunteer Army with much higher paychecks and all kinds of nice barracks, and expensive family support programs; then the bean counters figured out that many jobs could be done more cheaply by civilians who would work all day at the job and not be diverted by all the military distractions that pulled guys away from their work site. Who needs all that military training to work in a dining hall or office? At one Army installation many years ago the manpower conversion rate was one civilian = two soldiers for garrison support jobs.

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 21:58   #16
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
i was suprised to see soldiers working the gates again here at some of our gates at fort campbell. as much as i hated standing gate duty when i was a private, i still didnt think a civilian covering the base was a good idea other than just "creating jobs"

and in A-stan, our platoon was in a FOB with a company of Afghan National Guard soldiers. they ran our perimeter security 24-7.
Old 04-10-2012, 00:56   #17
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
The Army uses alot of civilians.

The truly important civilians, are mostly all dual status reserve or NG part time dual status civilians.

We do not "depend" on civilians for almost any critical functions.

Sorry to interrupt your dream.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:23   #18
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Interesting - I've never seen that, even outside the war zone, like in Kyrgyzstan or Kuwait.
Yeah I was surprised too. The Army would fill us in with them to oversee operations. It was a 50/50 mix on civilian quality. Some were ex-military and sharpe and a few were just idiots. I think they need a better system of hiring for security positions. I was glad to have them though it frees up soldiers to do other assignments. The food services people were nationals from all over the middle east. Once I flew north to Iraq, civilian security didn't exist.

Last edited by TangoFoxtrot; 04-11-2012 at 04:19..
Old 04-10-2012, 04:25   #19
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
The Army uses alot of civilians.

The truly important civilians, are mostly all dual status reserve or NG part time dual status civilians.

We do not "depend" on civilians for almost any critical functions.

Sorry to interrupt your dream.
Yes they are important. National Guard and Reservist were right along side us being targets as well.

Last edited by TangoFoxtrot; 04-10-2012 at 04:51..
Old 04-10-2012, 04:55   #20
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
The old draftee army was inexpensive and there was an unlimited supply of smart cheap labor that rotated through in 2 years. Come the Volunteer Army with much higher paychecks and all kinds of nice barracks, and expensive family support programs; then the bean counters figured out that many jobs could be done more cheaply by civilians who would work all day at the job and not be diverted by all the military distractions that pulled guys away from their work site. Who needs all that military training to work in a dining hall or office? At one Army installation many years ago the manpower conversion rate was one civilian = two soldiers for garrison support jobs.
I'm not that old - I'm talking about the 80's, not the "draftee Army." I still haven't figured out how they get by cheaper when every civilian gets paid more than a soldier. Being in the reserves, many of our guys work as Army civilians all week and soldiers on weekends - they get paid a LOT more as civilians. There are guys in my unit with jobs that require a high school diploma getting paid more by the Army as civilians than the state pays me to be a lawyer.

And if 1 civilian - 2 soldiers, I
'm wondering why our posts are falling apart and our food sucks. If I could change 1 thing, I'd bring back Army cooks.