SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:19   #1
RLZIII

Federal .40 S&W HST - Short Barrel Performance

Massad,

Like I'm sure you've heard many times before, I first want to thank you for all of the fantastic information that you provide to the shooting public. You're works (including articles, books, forum posts, podcast information, et cetera) are essential material for anyone who takes self defense with firearms seriously.

For years I have purchased Federal Hydra-Shoks for almost all of my handguns, from 380 ACP to 45 ACP. They have worked great in all of my guns, causing no problems. However, the price has been slowly going up in my area. For the first time, I started looking at purchasing ammo online, and the prices are surprising. While I normally pay more than $25 for a box of only 20 Hydra-Shok rounds, I have stumbled upon Federal HST ammo for around $30 a box with 50 rounds online! That's quite a difference in savings.

I've heard you talk many times about Federal HST ammunition, and it seems like you've been impressed with it. However, I can't recall hearing about Federal HST rounds out of short-barrel handguns. The two handguns that I'm most concerned about are my Glock 27 Gen4 and Smith & Wesson M&P40c. Do you have any experience or information about how well the Federal .40 S&W HST rounds perform in such guns? How does the 155gr, 165gr, and 180gr rounds compare to each other in such guns?

Also, before making a big investment in the HSTs, what other brands/products should I be looking into to fill this role?

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
RLZIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 20:55   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Kind words appreciated. :-)

The departments I know of using HST in .40 S&W are all using 180 grain (and are all happy with its performance on the street). Doesn't mean the lighter, faster versions aren't good, only means I haven't been able to find any shooting reports on them. Don't have specific breakdowns short barrel vis-a-vis long barrel.

I personally think the HST is definitely a big step up from the Hydra-Shok. Winchester Ranger-T is very similar in performance to the HST, and has worked remarkably well in the 165 grain .40 version.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote