GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 18:35   #1
BLACK Z
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 700
.40 Cal 165 Gr Gold Dot VS 180 Hydro Shock, we switched Duty Rounds.

Hi, About 2 Years ago we switched from the 180 GR Hydro Shocks which I liked to the 165 Gr Gold Dot. I shot the 180's better then I do the 165's. Just wondering how everyone feels about these two rounds Pros and cons and which would you carry if you had a choice? Thanks

I have a four or five hundred rounds of each, but Have to carry the 165's now.

P.S these are in a 4th Gen Glock 22.
__________________
GLOCK 22 3rd Gen 23 3rd Gen 27 3rd Gen 22 Dept 4th Gen
BUSHMASTER AR-15 A3 20 INCH H/BAR,
HANDLE MOUNTED COLT SCOPE 3/20,CQB CST SLING.
BUSHMASTER M4 CQB SOP SLING.
RRA PRO SERIES GOVERNMENT AR-15
BLACK Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 18:39   #2
9mmParabellum
Senior Member
 
9mmParabellum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 208
You will be able to control the heavier bullet the light weights are more snappy.
9mmParabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 19:04   #3
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 8,849
In .40 the heavier bullets have always been softer shooting than the lighter ones in my opinion.

The Hydra Shok is a classic non bonded hollow point round. It's core and jacket are separate and are kind of pressed together. These type of bullets tend to expand a little easier but also tend to shed their jackets when passing through tough barriers. Some have claimed that the Hydra Shok has issues of not wanting to reliably expand. I don't know if this is true or not. The Hydra Shok is a older bullet design. That's not to say there is anything wrong with it though.

The Gold Dot is a bonded round. This means the jacket and core are chemically etched (bonded) together. This makes the bullet more resistant to fragmenting on impact and tends to hold together a little better through tough barriers. Some say the bonded rounds don't expand as well as non bonded rounds but that's opened for debate as my experience as well as the experiences of others has not shown such.

The Gold Dot is a modern bullet design.

It all comes down to what you want your bullet to do. For a Duty round, I would take the Gold Dot over the Hydra Shok any day. For that matter, I'll take the Gold Dot's period!

I either carry Speer Gold Dot or Ranger T series in my guns. There is other good ammo out there but these two bullet designs have been used in many shootings and have proven themselves over the years. There isn't any doubt that some of the other new bullet designs will prove themselves in the years to come but I'll stay with I know works until then.

__________________
Diesel pickup, lift kit, 10mm, loud exhaust, big dog.... You didn't get enough attention as kid did you?

Last edited by NEOH212; 04-07-2012 at 19:06..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 19:31   #4
1canvas
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ne ohio
Posts: 2,336
the Gold Dot 165grn runs kind of hot but its a newer tech than the old Hydra Shok. the GD also has a great street track record and probably more tested than any other pistol round.
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 20:21   #5
dkf
Senior Member
 
dkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,315
I'd rather carry the 165 GD hands down over the 180 HS.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:28   #6
BLACK Z
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 700
I guess it's just one of those things about not liking change, the hydras and it may just be the grain diff seem to shoot nicer, I wish we carried the 180 Gr rounds. The hydras seem to have done better when ever I had to put a animal down on the job.
__________________
GLOCK 22 3rd Gen 23 3rd Gen 27 3rd Gen 22 Dept 4th Gen
BUSHMASTER AR-15 A3 20 INCH H/BAR,
HANDLE MOUNTED COLT SCOPE 3/20,CQB CST SLING.
BUSHMASTER M4 CQB SOP SLING.
RRA PRO SERIES GOVERNMENT AR-15
BLACK Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:25   #7
DRT
Senior Member
 
DRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,348
See attached file for comparison of .40 bullets:

180gr HST vs 165gr Gold Dot vs 165gr Ranger T series

Given that I live in a cold climate, it's 180gr HST vs 165gr Ranger T for me.

Given that you live in NY, I'd highly recommend that you push for the 180gr HST (not any hydrashok or 165gr GD) as your duty round.
Attached Thumbnails
Caliber Corner - Click for larger version  

Last edited by DRT; 04-08-2012 at 06:34..
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 16:31   #8
BLACK Z
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 700
DRT thats the first time I have seen a pic of the gold dot not expanding more, and your one of the first to here that they don't like most do.

I would like to see more shots into the denim wondering if that was does a fluke.
__________________
GLOCK 22 3rd Gen 23 3rd Gen 27 3rd Gen 22 Dept 4th Gen
BUSHMASTER AR-15 A3 20 INCH H/BAR,
HANDLE MOUNTED COLT SCOPE 3/20,CQB CST SLING.
BUSHMASTER M4 CQB SOP SLING.
RRA PRO SERIES GOVERNMENT AR-15
BLACK Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 16:44   #9
bear62
Senior Member
 
bear62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Rocky Mountains
Posts: 1,548
Very complicated decisions to make ...... at least for me. I've used .40 caliber for self defense for years and have gone from heavy to ultra light. Too bad there's not a clear answer.

For now 165 gr Gold Dots are my choice for my G23, G27.

Stay out of harm's way gunnie friends .......
bear62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 19:13   #10
1canvas
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ne ohio
Posts: 2,336
I have seen plenty of testing done on the Gold Dot 165grn by ATK and other reputable ballistic labs over the years and have full confidence in that bullet to expand properly for a controlled expanding bullet. I believe the GD was never designed to expand radically but to be a controlled expanding bullet with a desired balance of expansion, penetration, and no fragmenting. if someone is looking for a bullet that has a lot of expansion a RangerT or HST would probably be a better choice. I use the 165 GD for a woods round.

Last edited by 1canvas; 04-08-2012 at 19:43..
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 19:18   #11
PghJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK Z View Post
DRT thats the first time I have seen a pic of the gold dot not expanding more, and your one of the first to here that they don't like most do.

I would like to see more shots into the denim wondering if that was does a fluke.
It has been true with every GD I have ever tested through denim. Speer's poster shows poor peformance in the IWBA column, at least in my opinion.

http://le.atk.com/pdf/GoldDotPoster.pdf

I cannot find the link or attach the file for HST, but it is much better.

Last edited by PghJim; 04-08-2012 at 19:21..
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 19:41   #12
PrecisionRifleman
Senior Member
 
PrecisionRifleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,280
Speer makes a 180gr Gold Dot JHP.... that's also what I carry in my G23..
__________________
PrecisionRifleman

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 21:28   #13
Glockbuster
Senior Member
 
Glockbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Middle America
Posts: 1,348
There is a lot of truth in many posts above about Gold dots not expanding as much as some of the other rounds in just about any caliber. We ran a test last saturday with a friend in .45 cal and the Ranger T showed much greater expansion than the Gold dot same weight. But that's to be expected of bonded bullets, the expansion is more controlled.
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 21:54   #14
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
It has been true with every GD I have ever tested through denim. Speer's poster shows poor peformance in the IWBA column, at least in my opinion.

http://le.atk.com/pdf/GoldDotPoster.pdf

I cannot find the link or attach the file for HST, but it is much better.
Here ya go:
http://le.atk.com/pdf/HSTInsertPoster.pdf

In IWBA HSTs, like the Gold Dots, also expand noticeably less yet only penetrate about the same as bare gel or slightly more. That's kind of strange. Gold Dots will give more penetration. I would hardly call it "poor performance".

Tnoutdoors9's SIM-TEST testing uses the IWBA 4-layer denim method.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 04-08-2012 at 21:56..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 23:05   #15
PghJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,775
Poor choice of words, "poor performance". I just meant to say that it expands less than the non bonded bullets through denim. Too many dead people to call it poor performance.

Last edited by PghJim; 04-08-2012 at 23:06..
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:13   #16
fortyofforty
Capt. Hindsight
 
fortyofforty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,115
Well, if the 1970s attack, I will lose sleep over performance through denim. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with Gold Dots. I'll take bonded over non-bonded any day.
__________________
Odumbo: Unpatriotic, Narcissistic Man-Child. Democrat is the Party of Rape, Special Interests, Greed, Slavery, Sloth, Ignorance, Bigotry and Segregation. Click here to save animals! Gun Rights are Civil Rights.
fortyofforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:31   #17
PghJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyofforty View Post
I'll take bonded over non-bonded any day.
That is an interesting statement, why?. A Winchester guy who puts on demonstrations told me the only reason he would use a bonded version over the T-series is if he had to shoot through glass. He thought the T-series is a much better design for personal defense. I like HST's, which are not bonded, and give better expansion through clothing, not just IWBA.

Except for the glass, what am I missing?
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:34   #18
fortyofforty
Capt. Hindsight
 
fortyofforty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
That is an interesting statement, why?. A Winchester guy who puts on demonstrations told me the only reason he would use a bonded version over the T-series is if he had to shoot through glass. He thought the T-series is a much better design for personal defense. I like HST's, which are not bonded, and give better expansion through clothing, not just IWBA.

Except for the glass, what am I missing?
In many law enforcement situations I work around automobiles, and if I have to shoot anyone during an arrest there is a better than good chance that person will be either inside a vehicle or hiding behind one. Or, I might be seated inside a vehicle myself and have to shoot outside. For that reason I prefer a bonded round that can hold together penetrating windshields, and vehicle doors and other thin metal pieces.
__________________
Odumbo: Unpatriotic, Narcissistic Man-Child. Democrat is the Party of Rape, Special Interests, Greed, Slavery, Sloth, Ignorance, Bigotry and Segregation. Click here to save animals! Gun Rights are Civil Rights.
fortyofforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:08   #19
PghJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyofforty View Post
In many law enforcement situations I work around automobiles, and if I have to shoot anyone during an arrest there is a better than good chance that person will be either inside a vehicle or hiding behind one. Or, I might be seated inside a vehicle myself and have to shoot outside. For that reason I prefer a bonded round that can hold together penetrating windshields, and vehicle doors and other thin metal pieces.
Sorry, I did not know you were an LEO. Yes, you should have a bonded bullet. I mean for the rest of us. Yes there is a possiblity of me having to shoot through glass, but I would say that it is pretty slim.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:12   #20
fortyofforty
Capt. Hindsight
 
fortyofforty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
Sorry, I did not know you were an LEO. Yes, you should have a bonded bullet. I mean for the rest of us. Yes there is a possiblity of me having to shoot through glass, but I would say that it is pretty slim.
No worries, PghJim. How could you know? (I don't really advertise it.) For many people a non-bonded round probably would expand a little better and serve them just as well.
__________________
Odumbo: Unpatriotic, Narcissistic Man-Child. Democrat is the Party of Rape, Special Interests, Greed, Slavery, Sloth, Ignorance, Bigotry and Segregation. Click here to save animals! Gun Rights are Civil Rights.
fortyofforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 13:59   #21
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew
 
concretefuzzynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: VB, VA
Posts: 6,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
In .40 the heavier bullets have always been softer shooting than the lighter ones in my opinion.

The Hydra Shok is a classic non bonded hollow point round. It's core and jacket are separate and are kind of pressed together. These type of bullets tend to expand a little easier but also tend to shed their jackets when passing through tough barriers. Some have claimed that the Hydra Shok has issues of not wanting to reliably expand. I don't know if this is true or not. The Hydra Shok is a older bullet design. That's not to say there is anything wrong with it though.

The Gold Dot is a bonded round. This means the jacket and core are chemically etched (bonded) together. This makes the bullet more resistant to fragmenting on impact and tends to hold together a little better through tough barriers. Some say the bonded rounds don't expand as well as non bonded rounds but that's opened for debate as my experience as well as the experiences of others has not shown such.

The Gold Dot is a modern bullet design.

It all comes down to what you want your bullet to do. For a Duty round, I would take the Gold Dot over the Hydra Shok any day. For that matter, I'll take the Gold Dot's period!

I either carry Speer Gold Dot or Ranger T series in my guns. There is other good ammo out there but these two bullet designs have been used in many shootings and have proven themselves over the years. There isn't any doubt that some of the other new bullet designs will prove themselves in the years to come but I'll stay with I know works until then.

Awesome answer.
__________________
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 16:07   #22
hunter won
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 232
The 165 grain Gold Dot is a hot round and has a good reputation in police shootings for one shot stops. I was issued the Federal Hydra Shok and put down injured deer with it. An OIS the bad guy was hit three times and two rounds exited. The Hydra Shok is an old design. The 180 grain Gold Dots have two well documented police shootings that caused many agencies to switch to different bullet weights 155 and 165.
hunter won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 17:43   #23
DRT
Senior Member
 
DRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,348
The 180gr HST had no issues dealing with auto windshields or sheet steel while having superior performance through other intermediate barriers. With modern non-bonded designs like HST, the concern over maintaining bullet integrity is largely unfounded.

For those who aren't familiar with ballistics testing advancements since the 70's, here's the rationale regarding iwba 4 layer denim testing.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tact...2/0604-02a.htm


Note that it was developed with support of a major LE agency. It also produced results that correlated quite well with actual OIS's.

Last edited by DRT; 04-09-2012 at 17:54..
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 19:50   #24
BLACK Z
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 700
Hunter one what shooting's are you referring to?
__________________
GLOCK 22 3rd Gen 23 3rd Gen 27 3rd Gen 22 Dept 4th Gen
BUSHMASTER AR-15 A3 20 INCH H/BAR,
HANDLE MOUNTED COLT SCOPE 3/20,CQB CST SLING.
BUSHMASTER M4 CQB SOP SLING.
RRA PRO SERIES GOVERNMENT AR-15
BLACK Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:42   #25
Glockbuster
Senior Member
 
Glockbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Middle America
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
The 165 grain Gold Dot is a hot round and has a good reputation in police shootings for one shot stops. I was issued the Federal Hydra Shok and put down injured deer with it. An OIS the bad guy was hit three times and two rounds exited. The Hydra Shok is an old design. The 180 grain Gold Dots have two well documented police shootings that caused many agencies to switch to different bullet weights 155 and 165.
Could you expand a little on this please ? I know many PD's still carry anyone of the three weights but those that were caused to switch--what were they expecting to gain ? Are you referring to the shooting where the FBI was asked to chip in analyzing why the Gold Dots 180 gr. failed to stop the perp after several hits ? that perp was also hit by numerous .223's.

Last edited by Glockbuster; 04-11-2012 at 06:28..
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:28.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,192
356 Members
836 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42