GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 00:03   #41
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
Do I take your response to mean that you do believe in God?
I don't know how you take it. You should take it as a request to reference a post where I've made an effort to disprove God, given that you claimed I have done so.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is offline  
Old 04-08-2012, 00:32   #42
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentak View Post
Another false premise about atheists. I'm not aware of any atheists who try to disprove the existence of god(s).

Do you believe invisible, magical fairies live inside fire hydrants? No? I don't either. How would we disprove they exist? Suppose someone said they believed in those invisible, magical fairies that lived in fire hydrants. Because we can't prove they don't exist, does that make the belief in fire hydrant fairies valid, or take the burden of proof off of the fairy believer?
"We need to ban porn because the invisible hydrant fairies don't like it."
"Gay people shouldn't be allowed to get married because the invisible hydrant fairies don't like that."
"The invisible hydrant fairy theory of creation should be taught as science in schools."

Yeah, after you cross a certain point of expecting others to take you seriously you need to provide actual proof. What's that you say? The hydrant fairies require you to come to them on faith and don't provide evidence of their existence? Then they may want to rethink their approach.

"But this country was founded on invisible hydrant fairy principles!"

BFD. They couldn't prove it then and they can't now.
Gunhaver is offline  
Old 04-08-2012, 00:52   #43
Tommy Hanrahan
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 75
As a card carrying atheist I swear I have never tried to to disprove the existence of any god. Having lived 48 yrs as a devout catholic I can confidently say there is no supreme being, no man in the sky, no all powerful and ever loving god. Religion is a load of dung.
If you believe in something that helps you feel better about your life, good for you, enjoy. But do not push it on some one who does not want or need it.
__________________
Science proves what faith can not.

Last edited by Tommy Hanrahan; 04-08-2012 at 01:00..
Tommy Hanrahan is offline  
Old 04-08-2012, 15:58   #44
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


You want me to prove a haploid zombie who allegedly ascended into Heaven 2000 years ago but left no evidence of his existence other than gossip isn't God? I really don't think I need to.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley

Last edited by muscogee; 04-08-2012 at 15:58..
muscogee is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 04:43   #45
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 34,852
I have a question: Why Are Christians So Obsessed With Proving God's Existence?

Doesn't that demonstrate a lack of faith?
__________________
"Liberal" is when you hire others to use a guns to protect you, so you can pretend guns aren't necessary.
Bren is online now  
Old 04-09-2012, 15:25   #46
Norske
Senior Member
 
Norske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 5,569
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
You want me to prove a haploid zombie who allegedly ascended into Heaven 2000 years ago but left no evidence of his existence other than gossip isn't God? I really don't think I need to.
I have always wondered why if Jesus's "message" was so all-fired important to him, why he did not write it down.

Same with Mohammed and the Quaran.

Both left their messages to be written (and folded, spindled, and mutilated in the process ) by others, after they each died, or were taken bodily into heaven, as the case may have been.

__________________
Ceterum censeo, inferensus Islam delenda est"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Norske is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 17:33   #47
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 14,290


Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
For an atheist to be certain that God doesn't exist, it would require that he know absolutely everything that's knowable in the known universe.
Your logic is flawed.

I can't be certain that I am not a bodiless mind floating in empty space and that I have halucinated my entire perceived reality in order to entertain myself and keep myself occupied (although, I don't know why I'd dream up some of these characters in this forum). I can't disprove that. It is not possible for me to be absolutely certain that this is not the case. At the same time, I feel comfortable stating that this is not happening.

No need for me to know all that is knowable to discount this absurd scenario nor to discount the absurd scenario of a supreme deity.

Quote:
Why would an atheist even care if 85% of the world's population is wrong and not as smart as they are?
Because religion causes soceity to misallocate necessary resources, it attempts to place uneeded limitations on individual (read "my") liberty, it costs lives in the form of holy wars. It is a scourge upon mankind that needs to be eradicated.
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is online now  
Old 04-09-2012, 17:36   #48
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 14,290


Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
So I'm sure you wouldn't mind posting the link for each of them doing so, right?
Actually, I have, multiple times. In fact, no one has yet been able to defeat my proof. They always fall back on the "transcedence" argument. Which they are unable to prove.
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 04-09-2012 at 17:37..
Geko45 is online now  
Old 04-09-2012, 17:49   #49
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache
 
Dalton Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 13,392
Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
The burden of proof is on the believers until they show me something I can see, touch, taste smell. other then a fictional book written hundreds of years after the fact I'll remain an atheist.
now show me some proof I'm all ears
__________________
Don't try this at home, this post was made by a trained professional
Regards
DW
Dalton Wayne is online now  
Old 04-09-2012, 18:23   #50
Snapper2
Senior Member
 
Snapper2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: s.east Texas
Posts: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
The burden of proof is on the believers until they show me something I can see, touch, taste smell. other then a fictional book written hundreds of years after the fact I'll remain an atheist.
now show me some proof I'm all ears
Proof is life itself. Its the only proof any of us ever gets.Not ending after death, our beliefs live on. We pass on our believing or unbelieving hearts to those that know us or who are close to us. Even our actions influence others be it positive or negatively. Seeing, touching,taste,smell are natural senses that can be fooled. People who are without a few of these are usually extra strong in the others.God deals with the heart of a man first. Not the senses.
__________________
Colossians 1:13-18
Snapper2 is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 20:21   #51
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache
 
Dalton Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 13,392
Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Would a loving god allow this
Religious Issues
__________________
Don't try this at home, this post was made by a trained professional
Regards
DW
Dalton Wayne is online now  
Old 04-09-2012, 20:36   #52
Snapper2
Senior Member
 
Snapper2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: s.east Texas
Posts: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
Would a loving god allow this
Religious Issues
I think He would allow our hearts to be broken. That is heartbreaking. Maybe He is as heartbroken we allow this as well?
__________________
Colossians 1:13-18
Snapper2 is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 20:50   #53
Tilley
Man of Steel
 
Tilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
Would a loving god allow this
Religious Issues
Well...the good old USA has spent billions of dollars to make sure the middle east is nice and safe. And exactly what do we spend to save the innocent children?

And you Mr. Wayne, are you willing to help these kids?

And by the way, God did not spare his own son at OUR hands. If a loving God paid us for our own dirt-baggery, no one would be alive.
Tilley is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 21:10   #54
JBnTX
JB in Tx
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
Would a loving god allow this
Religious Issues

God didn't allow that, man did.

This is man's world, not God's.

We have free will to do as we please, and one day man will be judged
for what he has done.

Don't try to blame it on God.
Just look in a mirror if you want to place blame.

..

Last edited by JBnTX; 04-09-2012 at 21:12..
JBnTX is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 21:28   #55
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
God didn't allow that, man did.

This is man's world, not God's.

We have free will to do as we please, and one day man will be judged
for what he has done.

Don't try to blame it on God.
Just look in a mirror if you want to place blame.

..
If good things happen, you say, "praise God". If bad things happen you say, "it's not God's fault". I really don't buy into the "no fault God concept". If God is who he says he is, he can stop unnecessary suffering. The fact that he does not stop it means he is on board with it or he is lying when he claims to be omnipotent.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 21:48   #56
JBnTX
JB in Tx
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
If good things happen, you say, "praise God". If bad things happen you say, "it's not God's fault". I really don't buy into the "no fault God concept". If God is who he says he is, he can stop unnecessary suffering. The fact that he does not stop it means he is on board with it or he is lying when he claims to be omnipotent.
The Bible explains it, read it.
JBnTX is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 21:51   #57
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
The Bible explains it, read it.
Why should I believe it?
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 21:54   #58
JK-linux
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,655
Quote:
Why Are Atheists So Obsessed With Disproving God's Existence?
Actually, I've never read anything by an atheist that proves God does not exist. Most atheists don't seem to be any more obsessed about arguing the topic than most religious people I know. It just doesn't come up that much in real life, outside the internet, except as a handy political tool to keep people divided and arguing semantics.
JK-linux is offline  
Old 04-10-2012, 05:07   #59
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 34,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
God didn't allow that, man did.

This is man's world, not God's.

We have free will to do as we please, and one day man will be judged
for what he has done.

Don't try to blame it on God.
Just look in a mirror if you want to place blame.

..
And this is the strength of the christian religion and all successful religions - have an answer for everything that keeps you from ever being pinned down to an inconsistency, so most people never see through it.
__________________
"Liberal" is when you hire others to use a guns to protect you, so you can pretend guns aren't necessary.

Last edited by Bren; 04-10-2012 at 08:12..
Bren is online now  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:11   #60
Norske
Senior Member
 
Norske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 5,569
If the theists could prove that God exists (or if God him/her/itself proved it in unmistakeable fashion) then there WOULD NOT BE ANY agnostics nor aetheists, now would there?

We agnostics/aetheists ARE agnostic/aetheist because all you theists do such a lousy job of supporting your views on the subject.
__________________
Ceterum censeo, inferensus Islam delenda est"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Norske; 04-10-2012 at 06:12..
Norske is offline  

 
  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 13:48.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,303
329 Members
974 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42