SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2012, 15:14   #1
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Does anyone one make a front bead night sight for an 870

would like a bead night sight for my 870
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 15:41   #2
micdude

XS Express Big Dot front sight is the way to go, get it here:

Do not try to remove the bead as it is staked in.....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/399...-big-dot-front

Last edited by micdude; 04-06-2012 at 15:57..
micdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 15:45   #3
micdude

Reviews and installation here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_1/362...e_shotgun.html
micdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 17:41   #4
Kaybe

Check with Brownells as well. they might have something.
Kaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 18:50   #5
aippi

Coorect, do not remove the bead as that is what holds the XS Big dot on. There is a cavet for the bead and once sealed with the adhesive around the bead it is on there solid. the sight would come off with the first good bump if you had installed it over the base without the bead in place.
Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:46   #6
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

XS bead is awesome
Old 04-07-2012, 12:57   #7
Jackalo626

I have wanted to do this as well and have thought about getting the slip on fiber optic sight as well, so I am still in debate because I don't really plan on using for first line of defense and have other weapons with lights ahead of it but to someone else this would be a great option no doubt.

Last edited by Jackalo626; 04-07-2012 at 12:57..
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 21:32   #8
Navitimer

I have the slip-on fiber optic on my 870, but just ordered the XS big dot bead. The slip-on fiber optic looks cool and provides a good, very bright sight in decent light conditions; my only problem is that it moves around when the shotgun is fired (it snaps on to the barrel and doesn't actually attach to the point where it can't move), so I'm looking for a solution (other than the standard factory bead) that won't move when fired. Thanks for the review micdude, much appreciated!! I just ordered one!
Navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 22:10   #9
Buffering
The Cooler

The snap on are, for the most part, cr@p. You need to make your sight an integral part of the gun and a snap on sight doesn't fit into that category.

I had one, from a name brand company, on a my 12 gauge. Oh it certainly picked up the light and looked awesome. Made a very cool snapping noise when I put on the barrel. I thought it was going to be my secret weapon at the next shotgun class.

At said class the laws of physics intervened and what looked good at home was a steaming pile of dog poo at the range. The recoil liberated it from my gun. I snapped it back on hoping that I could just resume with my uberness. Off it came again and that was the last time it was ever near a shotgun of mine.

Don't mess around with gimmicks and theory. Get a sight and either epoxy it in place or tap and drill it. Be happy and go shooting.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:23   #10
AgentM79
Platinum Membership

+100 to the XS Bead. I have a Big Dot on one of my 870's (installed by Mr. Vang when he did the barrel), and it is fantastic.

The sight pedestal is the problem for the snap-on fiber optic sights. I have a red Hi-Viz snap-on on one of my S&W 3000 barrels, and there is a recessed notch on the end of the plastic base that snugs up to the bead. It NEVER moves on this barrel, and I've used it for years. Because of the pedestal, though, it would be next to useless on a Remington.
Smith & Wesson 13-2, 16-3, 36, 66-3, 681-3, 3000
Tactical Shotgun Club Member #3000
AgentM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:41   #11
Cole125
Silver Membership

One thing to understand is a night sight front bead on a shotgun is only good for the 1st shot. After that the muzzle flash will kill your night vision and you will not be able to see it.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 18:16   #12
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
One thing to understand is a night sight front bead on a shotgun is only good for the 1st shot. After that the muzzle flash will kill your night vision and you will not be able to see it.
I've shot it at night, true you can't see the little green dot anymore, but the big white dot is still easy enough to pick up

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
Old 04-10-2012, 18:45   #13
Turbo Terry

Big Dot on my 870 Express and I like it.
Turbo Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 20:45   #14
badge315

+1 on the XS Big Dot

Tactical Shotguns

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 21:14   #15
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffering View Post
Get a sight and either epoxy it in place or tap and drill it. Be happy and go shooting.
the snap on sight i used to have on an old chopped down mossberg was epoxied on and it survived at least 500 rounds and 3 years rattling around behind the seat of my truck.

did you really just snap it on and think it would survive repeated recoil from a 12g without any modification or help?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:18   #16
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

I had a gunsmith install a Mepro light on a Winchester Defender once. Worked great for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfHDi-2EA
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:44   #17
Buffering
The Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
did you really just snap it on and think it would survive repeated recoil from a 12g without any modification or help?

That shows you what a piece of crap it was. I installed it according to the included instructions and since it came off within the first 50 rounds of shooting, it was crap from the start. The manufacturer designed a piece of crap and it functioned as designed.

If the instructions said to modify it or use some epoxy I would have. That's why the XS and Meps work and my piece of crap snap on failed.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Old 04-22-2012, 15:40   #18
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffering View Post
That shows you what a piece of crap it was. I installed it according to the included instructions and since it came off within the first 50 rounds of shooting, it was crap from the start. The manufacturer designed a piece of crap and it functioned as designed.

If the instructions said to modify it or use some epoxy I would have. That's why the XS and Meps work and my piece of crap snap on failed.
well we live in a world where a box of tooth picks needs instructions and diagrams printed on it so i guess you're right.
Old 04-22-2012, 16:04   #19
Buffering
The Cooler

I'm not sure how much starch is in your underwear today however the product was crap and there no instructions, hints or ruminations that the product needed help. It's not the job of the consumer to take a piece of crap and make it useable. It failed the test of use for the intended purpose. It was designed poorly and the end user is under no obligation. To make it marketable. By you analogy Honda should be able to sell you a box of car parts and tell you to make something usable from it. And then when you point out the obvious, namely that you purchased a useable car, I will rag on for not appreciating that you were an idiot for expecting them to sell you a usuable product.

Just admit what you're trying to ignore - without doing your own mods to the sight, it wouldve failed for you.