SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:33   #21
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-5 View Post
If you miss it just became increasingly harder to blame the gun.
Oh how true and right you are!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:29   #22
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
13# for major loads? What exactly are you running? 165, 180, 200? I have heard that before. I haven't had any issues with the 15# but I would like to experiment a bit with it. How flat is your gun running? My concern with the 13# spring is beating the gun up a bit.
I run 200s now, but 180s before. It runs flat enough I guess. No issues with beating anything up.
waktasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 19:43   #23
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-5 View Post
If you miss it just became increasingly harder to blame the gun.
Simple - Don't miss.

You say the frame is cerakoted sniper gray? Because it still looks glock black to me

That's *****in though. Nice work.

Last edited by Veedubklown; 03-31-2012 at 19:43..
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 14:41   #24
mike g35

Looks flat to me, I am running 200's as well. I used that load today along with the 15# spring and my gun ran like a top!!! I might try your 13# spring idea here soon though. After running mine today and realizing how soft that load really is I think the 13# would be fine and not beat up the gun. Thanks for the tip WAKTASZ!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 15:39   #25
marvin
sci-fi nut

good looking gun.

i use to have a large mag button too. but as my grip got tighter and higher i started pressing the release with my left hand. nothing like having a good run then losing the mag in the middle of a stage.

Free men own guns, slaves don't.
marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 22:26   #26
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
good looking gun.

i use to have a large mag button too. but as my grip got tighter and higher i started pressing the release with my left hand. nothing like having a good run then losing the mag in the middle of a stage.
Try being a lefty, and smacking it on the draw. BANG! *mag falls out* not fun, on the buzzer.
Old 04-07-2012, 18:11   #27
mike g35

I got to compete with this baby last weekend. The gun was everything I expected it to be and more. I was 5th in my class (if you consider U a class) and 8th overall in the limited division (out of 23). Of course due to my rather unrefined reloading skills I had a round with the infamous Glock bulge jam my gun, that took 20 seconds to clear (stuck just out of battery). Kind of makes me wonder where I would have placed if the round hadn't jammed but thats shooting for ya, expect the unexpected. The gun ran extremely well though, and its definitely an advantage for me. I had never been able to shoot anywhere near the level I was shooting the other day. I'm calling this build a MAJOR success.
Old 04-07-2012, 18:16   #28
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

Gotta case gauge that ammo! I gauge all of my match ammo. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-07-2012, 21:17   #29
ImpeachObama
Fuhgettaboutit

Take one of your barrels and drop your competition ammo into it, each and every one of them. You'll eliminate that problem real fast. It's a pain, but worth it until you getting better at reloading.
ImpeachObama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:05   #30
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
Gotta case gauge that ammo! I gauge all of my match ammo. Keep up the good work.
Tell me about it!I bought an EGW U die and a LEE factory crimp die and I am using my case gauge and one of my KKM barrels to make sure this doesn't happen again. I got lazy while building the ammo for that match. In truth I had never even tested the load before I shot it in competition. Paid the price for all my stupid moves also.But I got it all under control now, we live and we learn I guess.
Old 04-08-2012, 21:30   #31
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

I had a fat round get stuck in my chamber today too damnit. Probably cost me 6 seconds on a stage. And I DO gauge all my ammo. Not sure how it got through.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:00   #32
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
I had a fat round get stuck in my chamber today too damnit. Probably cost me 6 seconds on a stage. And I DO gauge all my ammo. Not sure how it got through.
Some are bound to get through every now and then. Or maybe I jinxed you talking with you about it? But seriously I shot my 35 for a while this morning, loaded with the new dies, checked with a case gauge and a barrel, ended up with 150 rounds of perfect ammo, no jams, no squibs, no failures of any kind. Not only did the gun run perfectly but the new dies seem to have solved my problems. Not that I plan to quit checking the cartridges now but the dies did a good job of solving the problem.
Old 04-10-2012, 21:30   #33
Mike Bell

I picked up a new Gen4 35 last month and have shot about 600 rounds so far with no issues.

Im new to USPSA (1 match so far) and Im thinking about adding a mag well and a new holster (currantly using a Serpa). Im looking at the Blade tech speed rig or something close.

Any recommendations for a Limited legal speed holster set up?? Next match is in two weeks....not sure if if can have it here by then...dont know why I waited..
Mike Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:00   #34
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I picked up a new Gen4 35 last month and have shot about 600 rounds so far with no issues.

Im new to USPSA (1 match so far) and Im thinking about adding a mag well and a new holster (currantly using a Serpa). Im looking at the Blade tech speed rig or something close.

Any recommendations for a Limited legal speed holster set up?? Next match is in two weeks....not sure if if can have it here by then...dont know why I waited..
I use a CR Speed rig, my teammate Matt Mitchell uses a Ghost holster on a CR belt with CR Pouches. I considered the same holster your talking about, they seem to be well made (I have a BT DAO for my revo.) but I wouldn't give up my CR Speed equipment for one. And by the way, Bladetech has a 3-4 week lead time, sometimes longer, you are going to have to wait a month to get it most likely so no limited this month. Look at the CR Speed holsters on my sponsors website www.bb-enterprise.biz . He can get a CR rig to you within a week. He also builds and sell magwells, triggers, etc. , everything you need to build your 35 into a good limited gun. Look at mine, thats a prime example of a limited 35 being made the best it can be.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:01   #35
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Shooters Connection generally has the BladeTech DOH in stock

http://shootersconnectionstore.com/B...font-P114.aspx

I also use a CR Speed for my STI in limited. I don't think there is much advantage over the DOH until you are an A or M. Certainly not enough for a new shooter to justify the cost difference.

My suggestion would be...

DOH Holster
CR Speed inner and outer belt
CR or DA mag pouches (3-4)

Crisp, quick reloads are MUCH more important than draw speed. You will only draw 5-10 times in a match. You may reload 15-20 times. That extra .20 seconds you gain from the CR is trivial at lower levels. If you start consistently loosing matches by 1-2 seconds, then it is time to buy a CR or DA speed holster.
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:22   #36
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
Not that I plan to quit checking the cartridges now but the dies did a good job of solving the problem.
Yeah, ALWAYS make sure you case gauge at *least* your competition ammo. I check all of mine, as I don't want something to get jammed in during practice that I can't get out easily. (I don't carry a rod, need to rectify that.)

You mention the dies "solving your problem", and they can for the most part... but they won't solve a case that has a split that you didnt' see and gets pushed open during the seating operation, or maybe the bullet gets cocked during seating or one of another dozen things.

I come across a round fairly often that won't case gauge. And I don't mean that last 1/16" - 1/32" of an inch when just the case wont' go in, I'm talking an easy 1/8".

Unless you want to take another chance at a failure you had at that last match, you should always case gauge it. For me... I make my ammo ahead of time. I then take it inside the house and sit in front of the TV. It might take me 15-30 minutes or whatever, but that's something you can do without a lot of attention. Just drop the round in the gauge, then drop it into "good" bin. I check for upside primers and such once I then put the good ammo into ammo cases. I like the ones that hold 100 rounds.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:45   #37
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
Yeah, ALWAYS make sure you case gauge at *least* your competition ammo. I check all of mine, as I don't want something to get jammed in during practice that I can't get out easily. (I don't carry a rod, need to rectify that.)

You mention the dies "solving your problem", and they can for the most part... but they won't solve a case that has a split that you didnt' see and gets pushed open during the seating operation, or maybe the bullet gets cocked during seating or one of another dozen things.

I come across a round fairly often that won't case gauge. And I don't mean that last 1/16" - 1/32" of an inch when just the case wont' go in, I'm talking an easy 1/8".

Unless you want to take another chance at a failure you had at that last match, you should always case gauge it. For me... I make my ammo ahead of time. I then take it inside the house and sit in front of the TV. It might take me 15-30 minutes or whatever, but that's something you can do without a lot of attention. Just drop the round in the gauge, then drop it into "good" bin. I check for upside primers and such once I then put the good ammo into ammo cases. I like the ones that hold 100 rounds.
Believe me I learned my lesson the other day. Since then I have been using a case gauge AND dropping the rounds into the barrels chamber to be sure they will work. I am also doing a "quality check" phase of reloading like you mentioned. I check for anything, and I mean anything that might be an issue. Hopefully that along with the new dies helps my issue to be resolved.