Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2012, 19:21   #1
Sparky26

Shakedown at NYC Airports

It appears that if you declare a firearm while checking in at a NYC airport, you will be arrested, and it will be be confiscated & destroyed by the Port Authority. This is irrespective of 18 USC Sec. 962A, since the Port Authority claims that it has jurisdiction instead of TSA.
See: http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=50508
BOYCOTT NYC
Sparky26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 14:42   #2
Norske

Yep.

I almost got arrested/guns confiscated trying to fly out of Macarthur airport on Long Island.

The last time I ever flew out of a NY State airport.

The only thing that saved me was that I worked for a gun company, was traveling on company business, and I and my guns were covered by the company FFL copy I had in my possession.

To this day, I refuse to fly in or out of any NYS airport. Even though I still am protected by that FFL, if I have to go to NYS on business, I either leave the guns home, or go in or out of Philly or Hartford and drive to whereever I have to go in NYS. And keep a low profile while in NYS.

This will not change until such time as SCotUS rules that the RtK&BA extends beyond our front doors.

Which it will.

Eventually.

PS. Port Authority also runs Newark Airport. Although Newark is not in NYS, PA will bust you at Newark too, so that is another one to stay away from. Or any other NJ airport for that matter.

Last edited by Norske; 04-07-2012 at 14:44..
Norske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:14   #3
Hdoc

Wonder what happens if you have an unscheduled stop; a later flight.. and refuse to take possession of the luggage containing the firearm. Insist that the airline keep it secure
until the next flight? That way you don't have a weapon on your person.
Hdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 14:44   #4
Norske

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdoc View Post
Wonder what happens if you have an unscheduled stop; a later flight.. and refuse to take possession of the luggage containing the firearm. Insist that the airline keep it secure
until the next flight? That way you don't have a weapon on your person.
You do not have to wonder.

A guy living in Utah bought a classic car from a guy in the Allentown, Pennsylvania area. He was going to pick it up and drive it back cross-country to Utah.

He bought an airline ticket from Utah, connecting to Allentown, through Newark, NJ. He had (declared) guns in his luggage. He had CCWs that were valid in Utah and Pennsylvania, but not New Jersey.

If he had been able to make his connection as planned, he would have been in "continuous transit" and thereby protected by the 1986 "Firearms Owners Protection Act". As it was........

There were various delays. He could not make his connection from Newark to Allentown. They delivered his luggage, he found a hotel room in the Newark area for the night. This was his big mistake. He should have rented a car and driven the rest of the way to Allentown.

By taking the hotel room, he was no longer in "continuous transit" and no longer protected by FOPA 1986.

In the morning, he went back to Newark. Tried to re-check his (gun containing) luggage. Arrested.

I think the charges were eventually dropped. But not before jail time, the indignities thereof, and boo-coo bucks in attorney's fees.

Stay away from NJ and NY airports.
Old 04-08-2012, 14:55   #5
Hdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norske View Post
You do not have to wonder.

There were various delays. He could not make his connection from Newark to Allentown. They delivered his luggage, he found a hotel room in the Newark area for the night. This was his big mistake. He should have rented a car and driven the rest of the way to Allentown.

By taking the hotel room, he was no longer in "continuous transit" and no longer protected by FOPA 1986.

I
Nope, didn't answer my query. He took his luggage with him. What if he had the airline hold it until the next days flight?
Sometimes you can't avoid a city, ie., emergency landings due to weather/mechanical difficulties, etc.
Hdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 15:10   #6
Glockwork Orange

Hmmm...I've never had a problem going or leaving from NYC airports...
Old 04-08-2012, 21:07   #7
Sparky26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockwork Orange View Post
Hmmm...I've never had a problem going or leaving from NYC airports...
How long ago? I believe this is fairly recent under Blumberg.
I've done so in the past w/o incident when Guillani was mayor.
Sparky26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 21:31   #8
oldman11

It looks like NYC is doing what they want, no matter what the law says. But then NYC is still run by criminals and they certainly don't want anyone to have guns to protect themselves.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 22:27   #9
ImpeachObama
Fuhgettaboutit

If you don't have some sort of NY state or NY city pistol permit, you are playing with fire flying out of a NY airport.
ImpeachObama is offline   Reply With Quote