Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2012, 23:35   #21
TexasFats
NRA, TSRA, SAF

I agree. Acevado is like too many chiefs; he's a politician first and a cop second. Also, the MSM in Austin will crucify a cop and try to ruin him even if it's a good shoot.

Sauron lives, and his orc minions are on the march.
TexasFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 23:40   #22
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Horrible.

My thoughts and prayers...

Quote:
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:03   #23
RussP

Well, I started this thread with the reference to first time carriers making their obligatory walk through Walmart thinking that would be the path the discussion would take. Guess the WWW (Wally-World Walk) might be a thing of the past...

Then I thought that someone would ask, "Did the shooter have a carry permit?" Nope, no one did.

Instead, y'all voiced concern, offered good thoughts and prayers for the fallen officer and his family.

Thank you...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:26   #24
bear62

Quote:
Originally Posted by packsaddle View Post
<-- knows austin intimately

not to take away from the officer's death, but acevedo is a pos who panders to the leftist leaders in austin and ties the hands of officers on the street who are reluctant to take the necessary action for fear of superfluous criticism/scrutiny and ultimately termination, litigation, and/or incarceration.

rest in peace, officer.
I assumed ALL leaders in Austin were "leftists." Still a sad story ........
bear62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:31   #25
SPIN2010
Searching ...

Walmart is definately a very dangerous place 24/7, three sixty-five ... believe me.

Prayers for the family of the fallen.
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:53   #26
RussP

Thinking about this, reading the news reports, I wonder what effect this will have on how people perceive those of us who carry for self defense.

I'll explain using a paragraph from the updated report jdavionic linked to in his post.
  • The paragraph essentially said Daniel, the shooter, was carrying the pistol in his pocket. When detectives interviewed him he told them he brought the gun to display and intimidate anyone attempting to stop him.
What will readers get out of that paragraph? Here is what I believe they will take away from that...
Quote:
Anyone displaying a gun (Open Carry) is just trying to intimidate me.
Is that going to affect Texas open carry legislation?

Are they going to stop there? C'mon, , no way.

There's been no report that I can find stating Daniel did not have a license to carry concealed. That would help debunk any association with those of us possessing carry permits/licenses.

Again thinking like an anti, "How can we trust people carrying guns? Look at that Walmart guy..."
  • He was previously arrested driving while intoxicated

• He has another DWI in Austin

• He's charged with possession of Marijuana

• Daniel told his roommate, "Dude, I've gotten away with worse s*** than that. I run from the cops on my bike almost daily."

• and that day he mentioned to his roommate he might possibly rob a store.
And the anti says, "Is everyone carrying a gun like that? We can't let people like that carry guns"

That's the perception some, maybe many will take away for this.

How do we combat that?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:00   #27
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

the world is a dangerous place. but this guy was not too smart, up on charges, doing crime in front of cameras, devil may care attitude, ect...

sad!

sounds like the officer was trying to be nice...

but a good reason to carry if there ever was one.

glocksterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:27   #28
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Send a message via AIM to DScottHewitt Send a message via Yahoo to DScottHewitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
If you search the local news sources for Austin, there are several articles. Here is one -
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/austin/apd-officer-shot

I don't see any indication that the shooter was a former LEO. He did have a past problem with intoxication though. I don't have a facebook account, but you might find more info on him if you do. The link that I posted above includes a link to his facebook page, I think.
Facebook page doesn't say anything about him being a former LEO. But his latest recommended link is "Cheers, Drink Beer and Live Longer"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DScottHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:28   #29
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Send a message via AIM to DScottHewitt Send a message via Yahoo to DScottHewitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocksterr View Post
the world is a dangerous place. but this guy was not too smart, up on charges, doing crime in front of cameras, devil may care attitude, ect...

sad!

sounds like the officer was trying to be nice...

but a good reason to carry if there ever was one.

He probably was, since he was on duty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DScottHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:43   #30
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Thinking about this, reading the news reports, I wonder what effect this will have on how people perceive those of us who carry for self defense.

I'll explain using a paragraph from the updated report jdavionic linked to in his post.
  • The paragraph essentially said Daniel, the shooter, was carrying the pistol in his pocket. When detectives interviewed him he told them he brought the gun to display and intimidate anyone attempting to stop him.
What will readers get out of that paragraph? Here is what I believe they will take away from that...

Is that going to affect Texas open carry legislation?

Are they going to stop there? C'mon, , no way.

There's been no report that I can find stating Daniel did not have a license to carry concealed. That would help debunk any association with those of us possessing carry permits/licenses.

Again thinking like an anti, "How can we trust people carrying guns? Look at that Walmart guy..."
  • He was previously arrested driving while intoxicated

• He has another DWI in Austin

• He's charged with possession of Marijuana

• Daniel told his roommate, "Dude, I've gotten away with worse s*** than that. I run from the cops on my bike almost daily."

• and that day he mentioned to his roommate he might possibly rob a store.
And the anti says, "Is everyone carrying a gun like that? We can't let people like that carry guns"

That's the perception some, maybe many will take away for this.

How do we combat that?
Open Carry, in a professional manner, as the nicest guy in the room.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 04-07-2012 at 09:44..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote