Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-10-2012, 18:14   #26
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockeglock View Post
Interesting website. Do you have a coupon code for us?

`Thanks glockeglock!....we continue to give out free samples (just pay the shipping)...There are ways to buy wholesale on the site....That is how I buy mine.

http://lastresort.mygofoods.com/prod...a-free-sample/
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 18:35   #27
mikekj

There seems to be some confusion here between "Best By" dates and "expiration" dates.

They are NOT the same.

Best by refers to taste and nutritional values. These are still edible way past the best by date. This is NOT an expiration date.

Expiration dates refer to spoilage, think dairy products.(mold, sour, etc.)

Glock Armorer
US Navy Veteran
NRA Life Member
mikekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:28   #28
sebecman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrsequipment View Post
I assume you are talking about Poland Spring, where are you getting them? I must have missed that size...
Bangor Walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Poland-Spr...le-3l/15724074
sebecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 14:20   #29
glockeglock

Last edited by glockeglock; 06-25-2012 at 15:21..
glockeglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 14:48   #30
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockeglock View Post
Thank you, but giving out my credit card number for a "free" sample doesn't seem too wise. I look around locally for a similar product.

You are quite Welcome...getting anything online on a secured site and having it shipped requires payment.... "locally" is your best bet. Good to speak with you.
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 18:26   #31
quake

Another example, completely unexpected. Was rummaging thru some cupboards today and came across a opened foil bag of Eight O'Clock coffee beans with a "Best when used by" date of 04-28-07; five years ago almost. I don't normally buy coffee unground, but bought this when playing around with a couple of coffee mills for small-amount grain-milling use, and had no idea I'd left it in there. (Feel free to chastise for slackness in rotation - it was a small package in the back of a bottom shelf and just sat there forgotten for years; I have no excuse sir... ) For clarification, the bag wasn't setting "open" this entire time; it had been opened, used from, and then re-closed (folded over & clipped shut), and sat like that the whole time in a climate-controlled kitchen cupboard.

Anyway, I very much expected it to smell and/or taste rancid, possibly horribly so, but not at all. So I ran the last of the package thru a coffee mill. It still smelled fine so I made up a pot and tried it. While it (stunningly) wasn't rancid, it wasn't "great" either. The glaring issue it did have was being VERY weak. Using the normal amount made what looked like a very weak tea. Finally, using nearly three times the normal amount, it was ok. Not great, but about like some of the cheap store brands I've tried in the past. And that's from a container that was opened more than five years ago. A lot of folks will say that coffee isn't "good" for more than a few months, and some yuppie snobs will say a few weeks. My standards probably aren't as high as those of yuppie snobs, and even to me this wasn't what I'd want every day, but it's still unquestionably "useable" and safe.

Anyway, it just made me think of this thread, so I thought I'd pass it on.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 18:36   #32
RED64CJ5

Ok, I'll play.

I stopped at our local "general store" (think Green Acres) to buy a 1/2 gallon of buttermilk. The place is so small, they normally only carry one or two 1/2 gallon jugs at a time. The whole store is only about 800 sq feet and a 1/3 of that is "tables" for the locals to drink coffee.

Well, the owner told me they were out of buttermilk... The owner's wife said "check the other fridge." In the fridge there was a 1/2 gallon of buttermilk that had a date of Feb 22 on it. Bear in mind this was on Mar 16. the owner said "shake it, open it up, and take a swig." So I did. And I didn't die. So I got it for $1. Normally we use up ours at home so it doesn't go bad, but sometimes it will sit there 1/2 full for a while after the expiration date. I found that buttermilk tends to last 30-40 days after before getting too spoiled.

Anyway, I used up the 1/2 gallon of Feb 22 buttermilk pretty quick, but none of us are dead, so I guess I did alright for $1.
RED64CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:24   #33
mikekj

Generally on milk, it is a "sell by" date. That is not an expiration date. That is to insure the product is still fresh for home use for another 7-10 days after selling.

Glock Armorer
US Navy Veteran
NRA Life Member
mikekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 21:59   #34
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
My understanding is that it's two fold. One is how long nutritional value, especially vitamins, are good for. Milk loses it's vitamins rapidly from light which is why the color of containers is engineered to keep certain colors out.
This. Food can lose it's nutritional value before it is inedible, especially if you are talking about prepared/preserved food (i.e. MREs.)

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:31   #35
jason10mm
NRA-GOA-TSRA

You also have to consider whether the product has been opened yet. A sealed bottle of milk might last well beyond the "sell date" but one that has only an inch left in the bottom (was mostly drunk the day it was bought, then left in the fridge for 2 weeks) might be bad as it has been in contact with a container full of outside air and contaminants.

I see these damned prepper shows where they pop open some canned good, munch on a bit of it, then put it back on the shelf. They just started the clock on that good, I hope they don't expect to preserve it for another 20 years!

Use your nose, your eyes, and if in doubt, try a small portion and wait a few hours before consuming the rest. NEVER EVER open or eat from a bulging can though, botulism will kill you deader than dirt. But otherwise stuff sitting on a shelf for years will have either dried up, gone to mold, or been eaten by bugs. Worst case if it stayed intact is it has little more than fiber and water value to your body; the sugars, vitamins, and proteins having long since degraded.
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:57   #36
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

I recently had a can of tomato clam sauce over pasta, can was from the 90's.

Absolutely fine.

Same week, same cleanout, found an 11 year old can of salmon that was AWESOME. Not a problem.

Even if the food is supposedly less nutritious than newer, and just edible, it still has value in raw calories even if it just gives you energy to keep going. Your body know what to do with it.

You think you're tough? There's half a million scarecrows in Denver who'd give anything for half a mouthful of what you've got. The live on sawdust bread and sometimes…each other. At night the pyres for the dead light up the sky…its medieval...
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 13:03   #37
bigmac85

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post

You think you're tough? There's half a million scarecrows in Denver who'd give anything for half a mouthful of what you've got. The live on sawdust bread and sometimes…each other. At night the pyres for the dead light up the sky…its medieval...
Please elaborate!
bigmac85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 14:22   #38
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac85 View Post
Please elaborate!
Red Dawn quote; hard to believe that was nearly 30 years ago now....

Most folks under 30 (under 40..?) probably aren't familiar with it.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 00:39   #39
malleable

tagged
Old 03-24-2012, 05:37   #40
Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekj View Post
There seems to be some confusion here between "Best By" dates and "expiration" dates.

They are NOT the same.

Best by refers to taste and nutritional values. These are still edible way past the best by date. This is NOT an expiration date.

Expiration dates refer to spoilage, think dairy products.(mold, sour, etc.)
Exactly. Put it this way:

If you were a manufacturer selling food, would you put "Best by Mar 2013 - go buy some more" or "Best by 2025 no need to buy any more" ?
Old 03-24-2012, 21:47   #41
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebecman View Post

Now, HDPE plastic which is opaque, or NOT see thru, think milk jugs, is not good for long term storage. HDPE will degrade after just a year or two depending on storage climate. The result is leaking jugs and compromised water quality....
I have a milk jug that has been sitting in my garage since 2001 or 2002, that is still intact and holding liquid. It gets as cold in the garage as it does outside during the winter, and hotter than it gets outside during the summer, not to mention the humidity.

If I recall correctly, it has Methyl Ethyl Ketone in it.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 23:13   #42
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac85 View Post
Please elaborate!
One of these days, you might be crawling thru the rubble of your house or your town and stumble across or dig out a can of some foodstuff…. and if it has a 2 year expiration date on it and its 3 years past that…your only concern will be how to get the can open without spilling any of it. You wouldn't give a flying crap about it being "past expiration"…and take your chances.

Except it will probably be fine. And you might live another day.

Last edited by G29Reload; 03-24-2012 at 23:14..
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:42   #43
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
One of these days, you might be crawling thru the rubble of your house or your town and stumble across or dig out a can of some foodstuff…. and if it has a 2 year expiration date on it and its 3 years past that…your only concern will be how to get the can open without spilling any of it. You wouldn't give a flying crap about it being "past expiration"…and take your chances.

Except it will probably be fine. And you might live another day.
Absolutely!
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 18:03   #44
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Here's an interesting source that appears to give the "long" side of shelf life...

http://survivalacres.com/information/shelflife.html

Last edited by Bolster; 04-06-2012 at 18:06..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 17:38   #45
nightwolf1974

so to clarify, the 5 gallon water cooler jugs can last (if stored in a dark and cool closet) for a few years with no problems?
Old 04-08-2012, 18:33   #46
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwolf1974 View Post
so to clarify, the 5 gallon water cooler jugs can last (if stored in a dark and cool closet) for a few years with no problems?
If it is injection molded/no seams,and treated it should be fine.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 18:45   #47
steve581581

IMO the expiration date is more of a sell by date. If it doesn't smell bad its still good.
steve581581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 21:15   #48
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwolf1974 View Post
They will probably last decades. Even if the water in them goes bad, you could treat it by boiling or using one of the many purification systems or methods available.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:48   #49
sebecman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocks&Ducs View Post
I have a milk jug that has been sitting in my garage since 2001 or 2002, that is still intact and holding liquid. It gets as cold in the garage as it does outside during the winter, and hotter than it gets outside during the summer, not to mention the humidity.

If I recall correctly, it has Methyl Ethyl Ketone in it.
I had one that held used motor oil sitting under my workbench for years...

and then I have had several that held water new in the case and they leaked all over my basement after a little more than a year.
sebecman is offline   Reply With Quote