GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 12:21   #21
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter
 
TN.Frank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Down the Rabbit Hole
Posts: 4,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN View Post
OP... Why post this and clutter the forum?
You're right, I should have probably put this in the Gun Smithing Forum.
__________________
*Glock G19 Gen3, RTF2*
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:22   #22
MD357
Senior Member
 
MD357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,931
Quote:
If I bought an expensive 1911 there's be no "fun factor" in it because everything would have been done already
Yep I'm with ya.... "expensive" 1911s are no fun because they are way too reliable, accurate and last too long.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:46   #23
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter
 
TN.Frank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Down the Rabbit Hole
Posts: 4,142
Did you say something MD357? Can't tell because I got you on my "Ignore List".
__________________
*Glock G19 Gen3, RTF2*
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:52   #24
MD357
Senior Member
 
MD357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
Did you say something MD357? Can't tell because I got you on my "Ignore List".
I've been "ignored" by better.

Last edited by MD357; 04-06-2012 at 12:53..
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:55   #25
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter
 
TN.Frank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Down the Rabbit Hole
Posts: 4,142
I guess some people just don't get it.
Ignore List = I can't read anything that you post. You're on it, get use to it so go away and stop bothering me.
__________________
*Glock G19 Gen3, RTF2*
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 13:16   #26
Shinesintx
Senior Member
 
Shinesintx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North of Dallas
Posts: 1,571
Judging by the vast majority of the comments...ever wonder why 1911 guys are considered snobbish? Some of these comments remind me of High School in the 80's. Buncha silly immature girls ragging on what another girl is wearing.
__________________
:P
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 13:29   #27
Veedubklown
Senior Member
 
Veedubklown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northwest AZ
Posts: 2,083
There's alot of things in life you don't get. Like coitus and respect.
__________________
I don't always rock out with my glock out, but when I do, it's all the way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 13:35   #28
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 57,096


Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
Yep I'm with ya.... "expensive" 1911s are no fun because they are way too reliable, accurate and last too long.
Who's having more fun? A guy driving a Ferrari fresh from the showroom or a guy put together a rat car on his own?

One of them have more bragging rights, and it ain't the guy with the expensive product.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 13:36   #29
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter
 
TN.Frank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Down the Rabbit Hole
Posts: 4,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinesintx View Post
Judging by the vast majority of the comments...ever wonder why 1911 guys are considered snobbish? Some of these comments remind me of High School in the 80's. Buncha silly immature girls ragging on what another girl is wearing.
Welcome to my world,LOL. That's why I'm glad we've got the Ignore function on this site. Put em' on "The List" and you don't have to deal with their negative and unproductive comments.

1911 Forums
__________________
*Glock G19 Gen3, RTF2*

Last edited by TN.Frank; 04-06-2012 at 13:37..
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 13:45   #30
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter
 
TN.Frank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Down the Rabbit Hole
Posts: 4,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Who's having more fun? A guy driving a Ferrari fresh from the showroom or a guy put together a rat car on his own?

One of them have more bragging rights, and it ain't the guy with the expensive product.
You know I was just going to post something similar to this. I have a V8 Conversion S-10 truck. I've done a lot of work to that truck including pulling the Trans so I could install a 3000 rpm Torque Converter, B&M Stage II Shift Kit in the Turbo 350 trans., new intake gaskets, Header gaskets, tweaked in the Holley 600cfm carb so it'll run good, put a new Accel Distributor in it with a 50K Volt Coil and sumped the gas tank so I could put a Holley Red external electric fuel pump on it. Also done a lot of other little things to it like install a new water pump and alternator with an '85 V-Belt set up so I can run a $5 buck V-Belt instead of a $15 buck serpentine belt. Also, no power steering or A/C, don't need em', just get in the way when I'm going to work on something anyway so in the trash they go.
Sure, I could have went to my local Chevy dealer and spend $30k or $40k on a new Camaro but where's the fun in that.
It's much more fun having my blood, sweat and tears into this truck then anything I could have bought ready made.
I'd be willing to bet that the guys buying the High End 1911's don't even change their own oil in their cars/trucks and that's fine, it gives someone else a job but I'd rather do things myself so when it's all said and done, no matter how good or bad it turns out I can at least say that I had a hand in doing it and didn't have to pay someone to get the job done.

Before:
1911 Forums
After
1911 Forums
1911 Forums
__________________
*Glock G19 Gen3, RTF2*

Last edited by TN.Frank; 04-06-2012 at 14:05..
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 14:03   #31
MD357
Senior Member
 
MD357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Who's having more fun? A guy driving a Ferrari fresh from the showroom or a guy put together a rat car on his own?

One of them have more bragging rights, and it ain't the guy with the expensive product.
This analogy doesn't work with me. Building a car is just a tad more difficult than switching out some recoil springs and taking a dremel to a 1911 slide. If ne needs to beat his chest every waking moment about it and reference "expensive" 1911s then great. But I was just pointing out the irony of 982398213 posts about "tinkering" with something..... instead of heading the range and shooting the crap out of something in terms of being fun.

That being said, to your red herring. I'd wager anyone that built whatever car they have, would jump at the chance to drive a new (insert expensive car of choice), doesn't mean they have to own one for validation, just means that driving/shooting quality can be a LOT of fun.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 14:07   #32
alabaster
Swollen Member
 
alabaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 870
I understand that. I get flack all the time about building Citadels and RIA 1911s. Still, When it outshoot someone's $2k pistol it makes me laugh! Especially when the newest addition comes out. It looks like it's from the 50s and has been beaten and neglected it's whole life. It'll shoot like the dickens, though!

Attention whore? nah. Just venting. I get it. We all do it sometimes, no worries. I think the guy @ the shop just needs to build a gun once and see the feeling of having something like that instead of a fancy pants big name pistol.
__________________
Just my $.02...
Alabaster Croti
alabaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 14:09   #33
MD357
Senior Member
 
MD357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,931
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that the guys buying the High End 1911's don't even change their own oil in their cars/trucks and that's fine, it gives someone else a job but I'd rather do things myself so when it's all said and done, no matter how good or bad it turns out I can at least say that I had a hand in doing it and didn't have to pay someone to get the job done.
As a 1911 owner of all sorts I think it's funny you always have to use this "us vs them" mentality due to some sort of weird insecurity. The ironic thing about your changing your oil comment is that you just changed out your spring on your ATI for a shiney new Wilson. Something that is equivalent to buying a new car.... driving it 100 miles.... and changing the tires. So excuse me if the "I do it myself" BS doesn't fly because if you can't tell when a good part is working fine OR you just need to spend more money on a perfectly good part to feel better..... then you my friend are throwing stones a huge glass house.

Cheers.

Last edited by MD357; 04-06-2012 at 14:11..
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 14:14   #34
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 57,096


Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
This analogy doesn't work with me. Building a car is just a tad more difficult than switching out some recoil springs and taking a dremel to a 1911 slide. If ne needs to beat his chest every waking moment about it and reference "expensive" 1911s then great. But I was just pointing out the irony of 982398213 posts about "tinkering" with something..... instead of heading the range and shooting the crap out of something in terms of being fun.

That being said, to your red herring. I'd wager anyone that built whatever car they have, would jump at the chance to drive a new (insert expensive car of choice), doesn't mean they have to own one for validation, just means that driving/shooting quality can be a LOT of fun.
There's no doubt that a Ferrari is better than a rat car put together than a backyard mechanic when it comes to looks and performance. There's also no doubt that a Wilson/Brown/GunCrafter/Smith-du-jour is better than a Filipino gun put together by a garage gunsmith when it comes to looks and performance.

However, the satisfaction of building one on your own cannot be matched by those who prefer to pay to have others do things for them.

I belong to the latter crowd. I'd rather pay big money for somebody to make something for me. However, deep down inside I know that I did it because I don't have what it takes (skills, experience, wherewithal, inspiration, ad infinitum) to try to make things on my own and I have a lot more respect for backyard mechanics/garage gunsmiths than those are like myself..throwing money around and get things built for us.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 14:28   #35
Nestor
Lean & Mean
 
Nestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: From Canada with love!
Posts: 21,097


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinesintx View Post
Judging by the vast majority of the comments...ever wonder why 1911 guys are considered snobbish? Some of these comments remind me of High School in the 80's. Buncha silly immature girls ragging on what another girl is wearing.
There is something called a context here, which obviously You didn't get. Frankie is the guy who received quite a lot of support from the members here, back when he was looking for his first gun (Beretta 92, Beretta Storm, S&W revolver and finally 1911).
We heard a lot about how poor he is because of being unemployed and such. People were ready to send him some brass with no cost for him to help him cut down with the costs of shooting.
In the meantime he changed the guns few times in short period of time, so lot of us started to wonder if his situation is really as bad as described.
Anyway, Frankie finally settled down on his brand new 1911. Great.
I was one of the first people that congratulated him his new purchase and enjoyed seeing him happy...just to be called a snob a moment later by the same poor Frankie, because he needed to reassure himself how great his gun really is and how stupid are people who paid more for their 1911s. I learned that mine and the others' 1911s are just the eye candies and he was practical because he picked up what he picked up. Well, his reverse snobbism is catching up with him ever since, but he's still whoring for attention trying to reassure himself that the negative feedback he's getting is coming at him because of the gun he owns, not because of his aggressive and out of line comments toward this community. Yup...that's our dear Frankie and context of his post for which You are falling obviously. Many people here are using inexpensive 1911s, but none of them is calling the others with the names. Probably only Frankie isn't emotionally secure enough to handle his own decisions without insulting the people around. Ohh...well, another lost soul on the internet.
Have a good day and just don't buy this crap.
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.

Last edited by Nestor; 04-06-2012 at 16:50..
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 14:35   #36
MD357
Senior Member
 
MD357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,931
Quote:
However, the satisfaction of building one on your own cannot be matched by those who prefer to pay to have others do things for them.
Are we talking about building here? His 1911 or yours? I know he didn't build his and I don't think you built yours. We are talking about switching parts. Don't get me wrong, I get the pride part, I'm with you..... but let's put things in perspective here. If you post something that you built that looks as good as a Wilson, Baer, or take your pic of custom builder then I'll give you and Frank all the kudos you want. However, my priority is shooting 1911s, be it for fun or for training, I'm not into the pissing contest of how or why it got built and how much anyone spent. I've got cheap guns in my safe and they don't fight with the expensive ones. I'm into quality, what works when I need it to, and what will last.

So while I have learned to fit certain small parts etc, I can't fit a barrel like Les Baer, so I'm gonna leave that up to him and concentrate on shooting. YMMV.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 15:35   #37
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 57,096


If you want to get technical, Wilson and a lot of people don't build anything either. They contract out to manufacturers for most of their parts made to their specs and then they'd assemble and fine tune all these parts.

There are only a handful of manufacturers for slides, frames, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
Are we talking about building here? His 1911 or yours? I know he didn't build his and I don't think you built yours. We are talking about switching parts. Don't get me wrong, I get the pride part, I'm with you..... but let's put things in perspective here. If you post something that you built that looks as good as a Wilson, Baer, or take your pic of custom builder then I'll give you and Frank all the kudos you want. However, my priority is shooting 1911s, be it for fun or for training, I'm not into the pissing contest of how or why it got built and how much anyone spent. I've got cheap guns in my safe and they don't fight with the expensive ones. I'm into quality, what works when I need it to, and what will last.

So while I have learned to fit certain small parts etc, I can't fit a barrel like Les Baer, so I'm gonna leave that up to him and concentrate on shooting. YMMV.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 17:50   #38
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 30,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
There is something called a context here, which obviously You didn't get. Frankie is the guy who received quite a lot of support from the members here, back when he was looking for his first gun (Beretta 92, Beretta Storm, S&W revolver and finally 1911).
We heard a lot about how poor he is because of being unemployed and such. People were ready to send him some brass with no cost for him to help him cut down with the costs of shooting.
In the meantime he changed the guns few times in short period of time, so lot of us started to wonder if his situation is really as bad as described.
Anyway, Frankie finally settled down on his brand new 1911. Great.
I was one of the first people that congratulated him his new purchase and enjoyed seeing him happy...just to be called a snob a moment later by the same poor Frankie, because he needed to reassure himself how great his gun really is and how stupid are people who paid more for their 1911s. I learned that mine and the others' 1911s are just the eye candies and he was practical because he picked up what he picked up. Well, his reverse snobbism is catching up with him ever since, but he's still whoring for attention trying to reassure himself that the negative feedback he's getting is coming at him because of the gun he owns, not because of his aggressive and out of line comments toward this community. Yup...that's our dear Frankie and context of his post for which You are falling obviously. Many people here are using inexpensive 1911s, but none of them is calling the others with the names. Probably only Frankie isn't emotionally secure enough to handle his own decisions without insulting the people around. Ohh...well, another lost soul on the internet.
Have a good day and just don't buy this crap.
Pretty much. I own, and am very happy with, a sub $500 1911. It's 100% reliable, and more accurate than is should be for the price. That said, I plan on owning at least a couple of nicer 1911s down the road (a Valor and GC NN are both calling my name), and absolutely love reading and looking at pictures of all the different 1911s out there, from budget builds to $5k+ customs. I feel no need to play the gun snob (or reverse gun snob), as long as people are happy with what they have, I'm happy for them. Unless, of course, they use a revolver for defense, because that's just silly
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 17:58   #39
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
I've been "ignored" by better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
I guess some people just don't get it.
Ignore List = I can't read anything that you post. You're on it, get use to it so go away and stop bothering me.
Can I please be put on it too?
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 18:01   #40
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
There is something called a context here, which obviously You didn't get. Frankie is the guy who received quite a lot of support from the members here, back when he was looking for his first gun (Beretta 92, Beretta Storm, S&W revolver and finally 1911).
We heard a lot about how poor he is because of being unemployed and such. People were ready to send him some brass with no cost for him to help him cut down with the costs of shooting.
In the meantime he changed the guns few times in short period of time, so lot of us started to wonder if his situation is really as bad as described.
Anyway, Frankie finally settled down on his brand new 1911. Great.
I was one of the first people that congratulated him his new purchase and enjoyed seeing him happy...just to be called a snob a moment later by the same poor Frankie, because he needed to reassure himself how great his gun really is and how stupid are people who paid more for their 1911s. I learned that mine and the others' 1911s are just the eye candies and he was practical because he picked up what he picked up. Well, his reverse snobbism is catching up with him ever since, but he's still whoring for attention trying to reassure himself that the negative feedback he's getting is coming at him because of the gun he owns, not because of his aggressive and out of line comments toward this community. Yup...that's our dear Frankie and context of his post for which You are falling obviously. Many people here are using inexpensive 1911s, but none of them is calling the others with the names. Probably only Frankie isn't emotionally secure enough to handle his own decisions without insulting the people around. Ohh...well, another lost soul on the internet.
Have a good day and just don't buy this crap.
This post receives a...
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:45.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 782
225 Members
557 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31