Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:01   #21
Gunnut 45/454

bmoore
No pissing match here I'm relating what I've seen hunting yotes with the AR as well I have yet to see what you've seen with 55 gr SP. In fact just the opposite. I shot two with 55 gr SP and got complete pass troughs and no blow ups. Nice .223 hole in and about .5-.75" hole out! Both were DRT on the spot with major damage to heart /lungs. I have no doupt what the outcome would be if I put two to the chest of a BG. DRT on the spot. If you want to step up in wt the 63 SEI SP is also a very good bullet. And you will not get any blow up with that bullet.

Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 04-06-2012 at 12:03..
Gunnut 45/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:01   #22
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
My concern about overpenetration is due to the fact that if someone were to kick in the front door they are going to be between me & my kids; my bedroom is at one end of the house and theirs is at the other, front door in-between. Their bedroom is actually behind the entry foyer. In the event that a round missed, it would be very desireable for it to break up quickly on drywall.

I could be wrong, but I think that "splash" wound would get a reaction if inflicted upon an attacker.
A reaction, neat. Like shear rage to tear you apart. I dont think most people are looking for a reaction.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:03   #23
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
bmoore
No pissing match here I'm relating what I've seen hunting yotes with the AR as well I have yet to see what you've seen with 55 gr SP. In fact just the opposite. I shot two with 55 gr SP and got complete pass troughs and no blow ups. Nice .223 hole in and about .5-.75" hole out! Bought were DRT on the spot with major damage to heart /lungs. I have no doupt what the outcome would be if I put two to the chest of a BG. DRT on the spot. If you want to step up in wt the 63 SEI SP is also a very good bullet. And you will not get any blow up with that bullet.
I agree with you, I was just speaking about polymer tips. Sorry if I got you confused Pointed soft points are great.

Last edited by bmoore; 04-06-2012 at 12:04..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:05   #24
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
bmoore
No pissing match here I'm relating what I've seen hunting yotes with the AR as well I have yet to see what you've seen with 55 gr SP. In fact just the opposite. I shot two with 55 gr SP and got complete pass troughs and no blow ups. Nice .223 hole in and about .5-.75" hole out! Both were DRT on the spot with major damage to heart /lungs. I have no doupt what the outcome would be if I put two to the chest of a BG. DRT on the spot. If you want to step up in wt the 63 SEI SP is also a very good bullet. And you will not get any blow up with that bullet.
Soft points are fine, so long as you're not shooting through barriers. Moore's post was in reference to polymer-tipped bullets originally designed for rapid expansion in varmints - a different kettle of fish.

Edit: Dammit, BMoore beat me to it by a few moments....

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 04-06-2012 at 12:06..
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:07   #25
Gunnut 45/454

bmoore
Yep the polermor tip are softer jackets. Stick with normal SP for SD/HD. The old 64 gr Win SP was and still is used by many in Law Enforcement. Good all around bullet!
Old 04-06-2012, 13:14   #26
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
I had / have the same question about what ammo would be best in a .223 AR for HD.
I am concerned with overpenetration.
I though a varmit bullet might be a good way to prevent excessive penetration.
I tried the Nosler 55 gr. ballistic tip which I handloaded, but it's also available as a factory round: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/662...mint-box-of-20

I shot the 55 gr. Nosler into water filled gallon jugs; both times the performance was the same, bullet was obviously fragmented when it left the first jug, some fragments recovered in second jug, some fragments on ground past 2nd jug, tip not recovered.

I shot a 55 gr. Barnes TRX (handload, but also available factory loaded) into water filled jugs. The Barnes TRX was recovered inside the 4th jug and it had made a hole nearly getting out the back; the fully mushroomed bullet expanded to .47 diameter.

I'm considering loading the first few rounds in the magazine with the Nosler Ballistic Tips followed by more penetrative rounds in the event that the Ballistic Tips were not sufficient.

I would not do this, for the sole purpose that if for whatever reason, the BT should not be up to the task, you now have to fire four-five more shots, before you have a round thats capable of dealing with whatever issue you're having.

You've now significantly increased the likelyhood that one of those rounds will be errant, and strike something/someone not intended.

I would much rather fire one or two shots of a round that penetrates better, and may over penetrate, but gets deep enough to get to the vitals reliably. Then have to try and cycle/shoot my way to a ammo type that would be effective in the circumstances I found myself in.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 13:35   #27
nathanours
Texan

I use the TAP 5.56 ammo for HD.

Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 16:16   #28
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Rounds that break up quickly in dry-wall tend to lack the penetration needed to reach vital organs and CNS structures inside a BG. The exceptionally shallow wounds you saw in those photos will definitely kill a bad guy....

Most likely from blood loss, several minutes after you shoot him. They will not reliably STOP the bad guy - something very different than killing them.
Good point, immediate stop / incapacitation is the goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
A reaction, neat. Like shear rage to tear you apart. I dont think most people are looking for a reaction.
"Reaction" was tounge in cheek on my part, that wound looked like it would stop most attackers; I get what you are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
I would not do this, for the sole purpose that if for whatever reason, the BT should not be up to the task, you now have to fire four-five more shots, before you have a round thats capable of dealing with whatever issue you're having.
Another good point ^ first shots matter most.

I appreciate the replies & comments; it's helpful to get others input.
I'll scrap the idea of a varmit / Ballistic tip and go with the Barnes TRX.