Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-22-2012, 18:00   #21
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
I have used dd so many times, well who hasn't?

I must say I am embarrassed that I never thought to pipe the output through gzip.

Thanks for the tip.
You're not the only one... pretty slick.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 18:40   #22
JK-linux

Last edited by JK-linux; 05-21-2012 at 17:19..
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 22:08   #23
Linux3

I kind of thought IBM was letting AIX die.
I know you can run SLED on Power7 though I admit I have never done it and don't know who well it runs compared to AIX.

We have some Sun (Oracle) boxes that we could run Linux on but Solaris runs better, for now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 20:30   #24
WiskyT
Malcontent

My XP desktop wouldn't run anymore and a buddy gave me a copy of Ubuntu 9.04. I ran it as a live disc and I was able to recover my pictures etc. I then installed it and it ran great until the HD died. I got a new HD and reinstalled Ubuntu and am now up to 10.04. I am very happy with the way it "saved" a dead computer. All I do is surf the net and I got really daring and burned some CD's into mp3 CD's.

Overall I am very ahppy with Ubuntu 10.04. I can't recover from suspend or hibernate. But the thing boots up so fast from being off I just run it off if I'm going to be away from it.

I saved another computer, a laptop my neighbor was going to throw out, and am typing on it right now. I tired to save another old XP laptop with 10.04 and it wouldn't boot from the CD no matter how many coppies I tried including a USB stick. It ran with 9.04 and that is what it has in it now. My kids use it for little kiddie websites. I tired several other distros and they just wouldn't work in that machine. Fedora, Mint, 11.X Ubuntu, Kubuntu, nothing but 9.04 Ubuntu works. I'm a total 'tard and can't give you any more specifics as to why.

I have the same, or fewer problems with Linux as I did with Windows. For what I pay for it, I can't complain. I do worry about all this GUI changing that I will be forced to deal with. Somebody should really make a way for Ubuntu 10.04 to just keep working forever. Maybe that isn't possible, but from the standpoint of someone who just turns on a computer, goofs around on GTalk, reads emails and the news and maybe burns some music, Ubuntu 10.04 was an idiot proof transition from Windows. I think I am in the super-majority of computer users.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:35   #25
sappy13

iv used fedora, ubuntu, and debian as my main systems. also had a few smaller distros that were based off one of those three. I probably have used ubuntu the most, with debian second and fedora 3rd. Just swapped from debian to fedora 16 on my work laptop. Once you install some shell extension and do some tweaks, gnome 3 isnt too bad. much much better than unity. Cant say I like it more than old school gnome, but its growing on it.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:49   #26
dwhite53

If it wasn't for work I'd run Ubuntu solely. However work requires Office so I'm hosed.

Ubuntu was great up until the "improved" GRUB came out. They turned a simple text based boot loader configuration into a cryptic MESS. Changing your dual boot set-up became a nightmare (we're not all programmers).

I'm still running 10.04 and refuse to upgrade.

All the Best,
D. White
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 17:15   #27
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite53 View Post
If it wasn't for work I'd run Ubuntu solely. However work requires Office so I'm hosed.

Ubuntu was great up until the "improved" GRUB came out. They turned a simple text based boot loader configuration into a cryptic MESS. Changing your dual boot set-up became a nightmare (we're not all programmers).

I'm still running 10.04 and refuse to upgrade.

All the Best,
D. White
I completely agree w/ you about Grub2. It's a menu to select your OS, you don't need to make it as complex as grub2 is. grub was perfect.. simple to edit, change, etc. grub2 lost its way, but once you get the hang of making simple changes to it... it's really not that bad.

You'll have to upgrade eventually... wait till you start using Unity or Gnome 3... then you'll REALLY be frustrated with "change"...
Old 04-04-2012, 19:45   #28
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Just built a server and installed Ubuntu Server 11. Currently still working on configuring it, but I like it so far. Played with Mandrake back in the dark ages, but it REALLY wasn't ready for daily driving back then.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 20:00   #29
dwhite53

Linux Mint founder and Israel don't play well

Interesting read.

http://jay4rest.wordpress.com/2011/0...gainst-israel/

All the Best,
D. white
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 20:06   #30
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite53 View Post
Interesting read.

http://jay4rest.wordpress.com/2011/0...gainst-israel/

All the Best,
D. white
A frog anti-Semite, who woulda thunk it? Add Mint to the list of french crap I won't patronize. And thanks for the headsup.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 18:33   #31
teweekley

Linux Mint 12 for dual boot laptop with 7. Openfiler 2.3 for home file server. CentOS 6 for remote NX desktop while on the road. pfSense for firewall/router. I prefer Red Hat based distros for servers and Debian for end user.
Red Hat Certified Engineer

teweekley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 19:17   #32
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

I tried OpenFiler, and just did not like it.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:00   #33
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Linux users speak up

I've used a few distros, no particular favorite.

I find this DiceBlog to be rather interesting: http://news.dice.com/2012/04/04/microsoft-linux/

If I recall correctly, MS tried to play nice with Java some years ago but went somewhat their own way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Green_Manelishi; 04-06-2012 at 11:00..
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:20   #34
Ralff

As a young teen, I started out installing an old version of SCO UNIX off 3.5 floppies. After that I started using (attempting) Slackware. Here lately I've been hopping from flavor to flavor, just dabbling a little. It's weird ... I get more enjoyment installing and setting everything up than I do actually using the OS.
Ralff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 18:07   #35
teweekley

Once I got my instance setup just right, it's nice and stable. The biggest complaint I have is the lack of documentation available for the webgui after installing. There's a guide out there that walks you through installing and that's it. The "Administrator's Guide" you pay for isn't worth crap. Forums are about your only option for guidance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I tried OpenFiler, and just did not like it.
Red Hat Certified Engineer

teweekley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 18:25   #36
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quote:
Originally Posted by teweekley View Post
Forums are about your only option for guidance.
Welcome to the wonderful world of web. Even in magazines (any type) most info is 6 months out of date before the presses get warmed up. Fortunately, most everything has already been answered in some forum if you can just wade through all the dross and find it.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 18:30   #37
aspartz

Latest Fedora for me. I dallied with LFS for a short while -- that was a fun ride too.

ARS
Old 04-11-2012, 12:48   #38
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by teweekley View Post
Once I got my instance setup just right, it's nice and stable. The biggest complaint I have is the lack of documentation available for the webgui after installing. There's a guide out there that walks you through installing and that's it. The "Administrator's Guide" you pay for isn't worth crap. Forums are about your only option for guidance.
Yeah, that's part of the issue with OMV. It's new, and documentation is very poor. I've seriously considered volunteering to write some docs for it.
Old 04-13-2012, 15:26   #39
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

I'd been using Mint, Mepis and mostly Kubuntu ('cuz they seem to have the most people working on it) I have numerous computers in the house running various Linux flavors.

Does anybody think Ubuntu stumbled badly with 11 ?

I'v had 3 installs go bad, and two stall on the startup screen after a routine update,

I can't wait 'til the next one, which will hopefully be as reliable as the previous ones.

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 16:30   #40
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircarver View Post
I'd been using Mint, Mepis and mostly Kubuntu ('cuz they seem to have the most people working on it) I have numerous computers in the house running various Linux flavors.

Does anybody think Ubuntu stumbled badly with 11 ?

I'v had 3 installs go bad, and two stall on the startup screen after a routine update,

I can't wait 'til the next one, which will hopefully be as reliable as the previous ones.

11.xx has been rock solid reliable for me... it's just Unity that sucked. Once I dropped unity and went to another GUI... it was business as usual.

As much as I hate Unity, don't be surprised if by 12.10, maybe 13.04.... Canonical has all the serious bugs worked out and Unity is working very very well. Not saying I'll like it, but I expect it to get much better. Canonical has followed this course plenty of times before (release something that is crap, then keep working on it on subsequent releases, and eventually get it right).

IGF