Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:49   #1
Ceapea

Weird problem loading 40 S&W

While out shooting some 40 S&W recently, I noticed that some of the FMJ bullets were starting to set back in the case. Luckily, I found the problem before a ka-boom happened. I wouldn't want a series of problem rounds to cause someone to inadvertently (and unjustly) blame my G22 for the ka-boom.

After some investigation, back home, testing ALL of my loaded 40 stuff, I found that all of the problem rounds would push back into the case with light, finger squeezing pressure. All of these were rounds loaded with PD 165gr FMJ, in the older Federal brass. No other bullet in that brass, would move, even under considerably more force.

This only happened in what appears to be a much older version of that brand brass. The newer stuff has a different font/stamping and never had

the same problem. All of the bullets were .400, just like the other brands on hand, and all of the brass was sized, seated and crimped on the same dies, Hornady.

After a little more experimenting, I found that older R-P brass had the same problem...only with these bullets. But, these PD bullets would hold tight in all other brass that I tried. Blazer Brass,Winchester and S&B all worked very well. So, now I need to separate brass just to use with these 40 cal, PD bullets.

I have 1000's of other PD bullets in other calibers and never had a problem with them. I am thinking about calling them to see if they had a bad batch some time ago that they caught later on, maybe a taper on the bearing surface or something. But any of the ones that I checked looked to be in spec.

Weird, huh?
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:05   #2
shotgunred
reloading nut

I will save you some work.
its the old federal brass. Throw it away!
Federal brass and AA#5 was the reason the whole 40 KB thing happened in the first place.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:54   #3
fredj338

Yep old brass & poor brass. Federal is just pure crap for reloading high pressure rounds IMO. It is soft & fails sooner than later. RP is among the thinnest brass made & yes, even something as small as a 0.0005" diff matters when seating bullets. So I reserve my RP brass for lead or plated bullets that are 0.001" larger. I avoid FC or Federal headstamps for high pressure rounds, at least for no more than 2-3 firings.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 03-30-2012 at 11:54..
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 20:02   #4
squirreld

well this stinks.
I just ordered 10,000 180 gr 40 cal bullets from PD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Part 1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Part 2
squirreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 20:12   #5
Njanear
Nagant-ophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirreld View Post
well this stinks.
Just don't use them with the old Federal brass and it sounds like you will be good to go (that's what I get from reading the entire thread instead of jumping to conclusions ).
GlockTalk Clubs- #10 Georgia Glocker; #3745 Bull Dawgs; #600: 10 Ring, .40S&W, Sub Club, Long Slide, Niners, Wheelhouse, MilSurp, Rimfire, 1911, Black Rifle
Njanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 20:22   #6
squirreld

All my fed. brass is new, say, 2 yrs old.

Part 1

Part 2
squirreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 21:04   #7
SARDG

This is a Federal 9mil brass from a 1-year old lot. Several rounds showed up like this as I was gathering brass. That is a slit running 3/4 of the way down the brass.

This is shot-once factory brass from American Eagle 124gr, AE9AP.

Reloading

Last edited by SARDG; 03-30-2012 at 21:07..
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 21:41   #8
rg1

I had problems with some 40 SW brass, contacted my die manufacturer about low case neck tension and they sent me another sizing die free of charge. Now no problems with any brass including some thin RP cases. I think the combo carbide sizing die inserts can be on the large size of spec since they were made for 40/10mm cases. If you are still having issues I'd call the die manufacturer with your problem. You definitely don't want bullet setback in 40SW, 9MM, or for that matter ANY autoloading firearm!!

Last edited by rg1; 03-30-2012 at 21:44..
rg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 21:46   #9
Ceapea

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirreld View Post
well this stinks.
Wait a minute, I love the PD product. My problem seems to be with the brass. These same bullets work great with any other brass (that I have) other than R-P and the old Federal stuff.

You won't be disappointed with your purchase.
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 16:15   #10
Bello
America/Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
I will save you some work.
its the old federal brass. Throw it away!
Federal brass and AA#5 was the reason the whole 40 KB thing happened in the first place.

i agree you can actually google this info! they actually give you the numbers to keep and toss on the website