Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:52   #21
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdingcats View Post
Thanks everyone for that great input. I ordered the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph, so I'll report back after I've had a chance to use it (we'll need to dry out a bit more here in the PacNW before I'll get to use it).
Good choice... drop me a PM if you need some tips setting up or need a good area to chrono. I can meet you at my club.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 13:15   #22
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
I am not convinced the 35p is better then then CED.
I don't know that it is except I suspect the skyscreens are better. Even then, I don't KNOW that. I can say that my M2 has issues that limit the time of day when it is useful.

I am not too sure I care about the printer tape. It's pretty useless compared to the ability to connect my M2 to a PC and download everything. I really do want to create that magic database that ties loads and chronograph readings together.

I wish the M2 had a way to annotate the various strings.

There are two ways to play with the M2: let the number of strings grow until all memory is consumed (this is nice because you get a fresh and complete download every time) or erase the strings after every download (you get rid of the old trash).

The big deal with the Oehler 35P is the 3rd screen. This allows the unit to take two measurements and compare the results thus validating the reading. I think this probably IS a big deal. Whether it is worth the difference in cost, maybe...

As I said, it is worth considering. It's interesting that the 35P used to sell for about $200 according to:

http://www.clcweb.net/Shooting/Oehler/oehler.html

At that price, even without the printer (apparently an 'extra' at the time) it was a good deal.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 04-03-2012 at 13:18..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 13:41   #23
fx77
CLM Number 232
Charter Lifetime Member

Check out magneto speed chronograph, more for rifle than handgun.
fx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:13   #24
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
...This long term view colors all of my buying decisions. Firearms, loading equipment, woodworking tools, electronics tools/devices, virtually everything I buy. What will be the best stuff 20 years from now? Certainly, better stuff may come out in the meantime but today's best stuff won't be junk.

Richard
I actually agree with that philosophy, and had I been aware of the Oehler at the time I purchased mine, would have given it a serious look.

One thing for near certain however; in 20 years I'll be dead, or likely wish I was!
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:45   #25
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
I don't know that it is except I suspect the skyscreens are better. Even then, I don't KNOW that. I can say that my M2 has issues that limit the time of day when it is useful.

I am not too sure I care about the printer tape. It's pretty useless compared to the ability to connect my M2 to a PC and download everything. I really do want to create that magic database that ties loads and chronograph readings together.

I wish the M2 had a way to annotate the various strings.

There are two ways to play with the M2: let the number of strings grow until all memory is consumed (this is nice because you get a fresh and complete download every time) or erase the strings after every download (you get rid of the old trash).

The big deal with the Oehler 35P is the 3rd screen. This allows the unit to take two measurements and compare the results thus validating the reading. I think this probably IS a big deal. Whether it is worth the difference in cost, maybe...

As I said, it is worth considering. It's interesting that the 35P used to sell for about $200 according to:

http://www.clcweb.net/Shooting/Oehler/oehler.html

At that price, even without the printer (apparently an 'extra' at the time) it was a good deal.

Richard

All chronos have issues with lighting. Put the chrono in a box and use IR and it will not have those issues. Or just a simple shade. You can buy two CED's and run them in tandem for less then the price of the 35. They do that at the nationals.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 04-03-2012 at 17:47..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:49   #26
Colorado4Wheel

A Germany company did a test of the ced and the 35. They were essentially the same in accuracy.

Tags
chronograph, reloading, reloading test