Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:04   #1
3000fps

.22lr

From what I've seen online a .22LR has enough power to kill you at 440 yards, usually farther than you can accurately shoot it.

With the cost of everything going up, I can't seem to stock as much of the pistol / rifle ammunition that I'd like to.

My question is, is a .22 LR a viable weapon (hypothetically) for SHTF?

Why or why not?

I'm sure that a .22lr rifle beats a melee weapon any day of the week.

It's nice to be able to stock a few thousand rounds for very cheap.

Would the rounds be better with a high velocity 40 grn lead round nose, or CCI HP?

Last edited by 3000fps; 03-30-2012 at 10:06.. Reason: added videos and fixed spelling
3000fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:30   #2
SJ 40

If you are talking a Zombie Apocalypse situation then the Kel Tec PMR 30
would be a excellent Zombie Zapper but thats chambered in 22 Manglem.
SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:07   #3
Rumbler_G20

In the fwiw department;

I use a savage MKII in .22LR as a trainer for my Remmy 700 in .308. I routinely shoot the savage out to 300 yards and can absolutely positively guarantee you I can hit a human simulation in the face at that distance with regularity. On a good day, I can pick which eyeball to put the bullet in.

And I DO NOT consider myself an expert marksman. I know several folks that can far surpass my accuracy.

So . . while definitely not my first choice for a "SHTF" scenario, I sure as heck wouldn't feel plausibly defenseless.
Rumbler_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 15:17   #4
bac1023

Sure it can kill, but I don't think its a viable choice for self defense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 19:37   #5
unit1069

For pure self-defense I wouldn't want to rely on .22lr but for a "survivalist" scenario moving through a hostile environment to safety I think it might be a valid choice. The Maoist military strategy favored wounding the opposing army since two uninjured soldiers would have to assist the wounded one. Under that scenario a good .22lr rifle might be sufficient to keep pursuers at bay. And .22lr is capable of taking small game for food, with the significant advantage of being able to tote far greater number of rounds than the bigger calibers.

In up close and personal SHTF events I'd definitely want a traditional duty caliber sidearm or shotgun.
Old 03-31-2012, 19:55   #6
collim1
Shower Time!

I work nights half the year leaving my wife at home by herself.

I keep a SP101 .22lr on her nightstand with 8rds of CCI Stingers loaded in it.

Is it the best gun for SD? No, probably not. But It makes a loud bang, has zero recoil, and will work with good shot placement.

She is not willing to practice shooting to learn how to control more recoil but loves shooting the .22's and score hits with them. So....it works for us.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:18   #7
boone10
Glockeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
Rapid fire with Kel-tec PMR30 pistol - YouTube
SJ 40

The OP mentioned cost as being a factor in stockpiling ammunition. The .22 magnum round cost as much (or more in some cases) as the 9mm. It's hardly more viable than the 22lr for self defense, and factoring in the high price, it's a NO GO for most folks. Let the "swamp people" shoot their snag-line gators with the .22 magnum--otherwise it's nearly worthless.

As far as the 22lr goes, I always have (at the very least) a Beretta 21A in my pocket loaded with CCI Mini Mags--40 grain round nose. The "hollow point" for the most part serves no advantage at short barrel speeds and the larger 40 gives the best chance for maximum penetration and to help ensure that a blowback type pistol functions to its full potential.

For stockpiling purposes, even the CCI is expensive. Bulk packs of Blazer and (to a lesser extent) Federal 550 are something to think about. My kids (and probably the children of most folks on this forum) would flat wear out a raider with a Marlin Model 60, Rem. 597, Ruger 10/22, etc. Forty grains of bad medicine!

Last edited by boone10; 04-01-2012 at 10:20..
boone10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:51   #8
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
Rapid fire with Kel-tec PMR30 pistol - YouTube
SJ 40
I'll probably picking one of those up this year. I can get good quality .22mag in my area for under $10 per 50. Plus the .22mag ammo is a whole lot lighter to carry.

IMO some sort of .22 whether LR or mag is good to have in the arsenal. For small game and even Zombie head shots it would come in handy especially in 10/22 semi auto form with a large capacity magazine.
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 19:11   #9
chemcmndr

In my mind, while .22LR has a place in SHTF (small game hunting) I wouldn't consider it as a primary, or even secondary self defense round. I will agree that a .22 LR can be lethal, but considering I took a .22 LR to the chest while wearing a level IIIA vest, and I've been punched harder, I wouldn't look to it as a main defense weapon, unless you absolutely couldn't shoot a larger caliber. If that were the case, practice often enough to get consistent head shots with it.
chemcmndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:49   #10
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Owners of mouse gun calibers are instructed to aim for the neck, face, eyes and if you must stick the muzzle in an attackers ear. Having said that I would not like to be relying on a .22 for defense but it beats nothing.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 13:17   #11
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I work nights half the year leaving my wife at home by herself.

I keep a SP101 .22lr on her nightstand with 8rds of CCI Stingers loaded in it.

Is it the best gun for SD? No, probably not. But It makes a loud bang, has zero recoil, and will work with good shot placement.

She is not willing to practice shooting to learn how to control more recoil but loves shooting the .22's and score hits with them. So....it works for us.
mine shot my G26 better than her CT laser grip model 60 NY-1. now im having to come up with the money for her own G26.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 13:31   #12
jeager

If you want to keep the shy, noncommittal zombies at bay:
a noisy pistol or an accurate rifle.
jeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 17:23   #13
Brucev

Re: OP. The .22 LR will of course "kill" far beyond what some would consider it's effective range... far beyond what some would consider it's accurate range. But, all of that is relative. The .22 LR in a good rifle will produce very good hits at 200 yds. From a revolver it will do so out to 50 yds. or so. I have a S&W Model 18-3 that will hold under 5 inch groups at 65 yds. firing off-hand.

As far as buying a lot of ammo, folks get weird buying piles of large caliber ammo that they will never use. In an emergency where one had to move, it would not be possible to carry large quantities of heavy rounds. The .22 LR has the advantage of light weight as well as being extremely effective. As much as folks talk about shooting deer, etc. at 300, 400, 1,000, etc. yds. the vast majority of game is taken at less than 150 yds. You don't need a cannon to kill deer. The .22 LR will do that job effectively. Just ask any game warden.

If a bad situation actually became reality, one would need firearms/ammo that was easily portable more than firearms/ammo that was the absolute ideal for every possible engagement scenario. In such a situation the idea would be to not be seen, to not draw attention to oneself. Shooting a .22 LR once or twice to kill rabbits, etc. will not attract nearly as much attention as firing a .223/5.56 or a .308, etc.

When it comes to buying ammo, buy lots of .22 LR ammo. Store it in a cool dry place and it will last a lifetime. I've got .22 LR ammo that I bought in 1985, when I was first starting to shoot .22 LR at more than 25 yds. Some of the cheap stuff I bought back then gave remarkable results at 100 yds. Federal Lightening .22 LR ammo would stay under 2 inches for 10 shots from my Ruger 77/22. I found some of that ammo the other day and ran it through that little Ruger rifle. Not surprisingly, it still produced the same results... 1 inch or less at 50 yds. and at 100 yds... it would repeatedly hit the cap of a spray can, just about as long as you wanted to lock, load and pull the trigger.
With the cost of everything going up, I can't seem to stock as much of the pistol / rifle ammunition that I'd like to.

As far as what kind of .22 LR to buy, that depends on your firearm. I greatly enjoy my S&W 18-3. It is a wonderfully precise revolver. It shoots just about any .22 LR round well. However, I do know that it works particularly well with the Federal .22 LR Pistol Match load. So, when I see it in the stores, I buy two or three of the 525 round boxes. Since it also works equally well in my Ruger 77/22, I just use the same load for both the S&W and the Ruger. You need to find what works well in your firearm(s). Then, buy as much of that load as you can and add more as you go along. Along with the Federal, I've had very good success with CCI Mini-Mags. Plain 40 gr. lead round-nosed .22 LR ammo by Winchester has been good in my experience as has been the load from Remington.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote