Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:06   #1
Oso

Traveling from Michigan to Minnesota

Hello all. This weekend I'll be traveling from Michigan to Minnesota. I will be going through Illinois , and then Wisconsin, and finally ending up in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Obviously while traveling through Illinois my handgun will be unloaded and secured in a separate container in the trunk while the ammunition will be locked in the glove box. Is there any special tips or recommendations for the other two states. I've checked handgunlaws.us, but would like additional advice or recommendations if anyone has them.
Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:14   #2
hounds2

i too live in michigan. i would go thru the UP. its prettier, less traffic and not a 3rd world country like Ill. i would definately stay far clear of the chicago area. i doubt they would honor the federal safe passage law. handgunlaws.us would have been where i would have checked too. you should have wi and minn covered. have a nice trip.
hounds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:59   #3
Dooger

I live in the U.P. was one of the first to CC in WI last fall!!! The resident permits were not even issued yet.

That said, you're gonna have to do quite a bit of research on the gun laws in the States you want to carry in/pass through. Do this via State websites as some recprocity sites have misinformation or outdated material.

I carry at least 7 days a year in MN. What you will find in some areas is that many businesses have "Gun Free" signs on their doors; especially in Minneapolis. Duluth also has an anti-carry Mayor. That really causes some issues for residents and visitors. I'm unsure if the issues have been taken care of, but it sure wouldn't stop me.

P.S. If you live in the SLP, you'd be better off taking the original route you planned on. It takes me 10 hours to reach Minneapolis from the EUP.
Dooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:50   #4
xmanhockey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounds2 View Post
i too live in michigan. i would go thru the UP. its prettier, less traffic and not a 3rd world country like Ill. i would definately stay far clear of the chicago area. i doubt they would honor the federal safe passage law. handgunlaws.us would have been where i would have checked too. you should have wi and minn covered. have a nice trip.
Chicago has to honor the federal transportation law. Now whether they'll give you a hard time is a different story. If I were you (OP) I'd say transport through IL the exact way described by the federal transport law.

Quote:
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

Last edited by xmanhockey7; 03-28-2012 at 12:50..
xmanhockey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 16:40   #5
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

No gun signs in MN do not carry any legal weight and 9/10 of them are posted illegally anyway. In WI however it is a fine of up to $1000 I believe to carry past the signs. What are you coming to town for? Any ideas what you plan on doing while you're here? I would also recommend taking the 294/290 loop around Chicago just to limit the time you're in the City itself.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 17:18   #6
Oso

I live about 5 miles from the Indiana border so a UP route is not an option. I don't plan in stopping anywhere in Illinois, not even for fuel. The only stops in Wisconsin will be for fuel and a meal. Most of the time will be spent in Minneapolis for the Midwest regional swim meet. I have 2 daughters that qualified for several events.

Does anyone know if concealed carry is permitted in The Mall of America?

I will be traveling with a lockable pistol box, so I can leave it in the vehicle if necessary.
Old 03-28-2012, 17:26   #7
Oso

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounds2 View Post
I would prefer the northern route for a much more pleasurable drive, but it would be way too long. It takes about 10 hours from my house to get to Minneapolis.
Old 03-28-2012, 17:27   #8
Oso

Thanks for all the replies, so far.
Old 03-28-2012, 17:35   #9
Oso

The swim meet is at the University of Minnesota, and I doubt I can carry there. While there it will be kept in the locked pistol box tethered by a security cable under a seat. The rest of the time will be spent at The Mall of America, various restaurants (I won't be drinking alcohol), and our hotel.
Old 03-28-2012, 19:52   #10
kensteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso View Post
I live about 5 miles from the Indiana border so a UP route is not an option. I don't plan in stopping anywhere in Illinois, not even for fuel. The only stops in Wisconsin will be for fuel and a meal. Most of the time will be spent in Minneapolis for the Midwest regional swim meet. I have 2 daughters that qualified for several events.

Does anyone know if concealed carry is permitted in The Mall of America?

I will be traveling with a lockable pistol box, so I can leave it in the vehicle if necessary.
Last time I visited MoA a few years ago, I was able to CCW. However, I do think I saw some types of signs, but they weren't meant for me.

Last edited by kensteele; 03-28-2012 at 19:53..
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 21:24   #11
Dooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo View Post
No gun signs in MN do not carry any legal weight and 9/10 of them are posted illegally anyway. In WI however it is a fine of up to $1000 I believe to carry past the signs. What are you coming to town for? Any ideas what you plan on doing while you're here? I would also recommend taking the 294/290 loop around Chicago just to limit the time you're in the City itself.
Can you post some links to MN Carry Laws? I had them all saved, but I can't find them now. I'm headed back to MN in May and I'd like to print them all off once again. Your State is actually the worst for people to serach for on State websites....so far, that I've noticed anyways.
Dooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:40   #12
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714
Is the direct link to the MN permit law. To answer specific questions: 1, The Mall of America is posted, but not compliantly or legally. As a landlord they Mall is not legally able to decide whether it's tenants choose to allow it or not. If discovered you will be asked to leave, if you do not you will receive a $25 trespassing ticket. I always carry there, the largest weapon I can get away with.
2, The University Natatorium. By law the University is not allowed to post or ban in any form. What may end up happening is that whomever is renting the space from the University will ban if they think about it which I'm guessing they will not. It comes down to how well you conceal and if you are willing to pay twice for admission if you are found out.

In MN you are allowed up to a .04 BAC before you are guilty of Carrying Under the Influence. Which is a fine.

Good luck with parking on campus and be prepared to walk a ways. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:28   #13
unit1069

It may take another decade --- and if voters have the wisdom to throw out all Democrat-"progressive" politicians --- but sooner or later there will be a national CCW reciprocity law that will help prevent otherwise law-abiding permit holders to travel with reasonable assurance without some aberrant state or local law tripping them up.

Tags
concealed, minneapolis, minnesota, traveling, wisconsin